University Application Process

FirstWorldProblems

Hello,

I was hoping I might prevail upon the generosity of this forum once again, to help me ensure that I understand how the university system works in Australia.

Background

Our family comprises a Brit Dad, Aussie Mum, and our dual citizen children aged 16 and 12.  

Our plan has long been to relocate to Sydney when the youngest finishes A-levels in 2026.

Annual visits mean that the kids have a strong bond with their Australian family,  resulting in  our son (16) being adamant for a few years now that he intends to go to University in Sydney and live with his grandmother.   

Now, I am the kind of person who believes you can never be too prepared or start planning too soon 🙂 , so I've recently been trying to learn what I can about how the university system works in Australia and how it differs from what I am used to in the UK.   I'd really appreciate it if anyone on the forum could give me a steer as to whether my understanding is correct.

What I think I know

1. As a citizen, our son will be classed as a domestic student and thus the partially government subsided course fees.  Cirxa $9,500 p.a. presently as opposed to over $30,000 for international students.  I've not found anything saying that he would need to have been resident for a period beforehand.
  2. Applications to universities are made via UAC, which seems to work similar to UCAS here in the UK
  3. A-levels are a recognised qualification and courses all seem to list what A-Level points you need to qualify, so that appears quite straightforward.
  4. There are two semesters starting in February and October and a student can begin their course at either one.  If you start in February, you'd graduate a few years later in December.  For October that would be June.  But I get the impression most people start in February
  5. Applications for February semester open the previous April and there are a monthly series of offers, but I don't really understand why there are so many rounds or what the difference is between them.  

What I remain unsure of

• I note that most degree courses seem to be 4 or 5 year duration.  In the UK a 4 year course tends to be for a sandwich course (a degree where year 3 is spent on a work placement).  Is that they same there?  If not why are the courses longer and can then be compressed by doing more units per semester?
  • As in the UK, do students apply based on predicted grades and get offered conditional places, which are then confirmed once the grades are secured?

If you are able to set me straight on anything, or share with me any other helpful info, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Here in WA  you submit your Preferences  of Uni and degree to TISC  (Tertiary Institutions Service Centre).  You don't get an offer until your ATAR scores are out because some universities will have a minimum entry ATAR score.  e.g. UWA has a minimum ATAR score of 80 (if you want to do a medical degree it's 90).  My daughter e.g. submitted her preferences - UWA, Murdoch, Curtin - she then got a first round offer for UWA based on her ATAR.    I'm not sure how it works with those having studied A levels (A colleagues daughter did A levels and got accepted to UWA on the basis of actual results but that's a few years ago).  

My daughters degree (BA) was 3 years, she didn't do honors (which would be the extra year) but went straight into a 2 years Masters.  She did a 100 hour internship as part of her BA.

My sons went through the NSW Uni system over ten years ago now but I doubt the system has changed much. 

I believe the system for applying for Uni whilst still at school here - rather than in your case, from overseas - is a different process. So what my sons experienced is not necessarily what your child will.

In NSW no offers are made based on predicted Year 12 (HSC) results. You put in your Uni preferences during the final year of school and once the results are out at the end of the year you get offered up to 3? places. There are various offers rounds - places that are not accepted in the first round are re-offered to different applicants in a subsequent round. What you get offered is based on your preference and your results. The cutoffs for the previous years are always published so you know - roughly - what marks are needed for each course, though they can vary from year to year. 

I would have thought that the vast majority of students start Uni in Feb/March. Most kids go straight from school to Uni, so would start Uni as soon as they can. Only a tiny minority of students would start mid-year.

And I also believed that most ordinary courses are three years, though double degrees are popular, particularly Law combinations and they are usually five years. This is because Law (and Medicine) are not available in Sydney Unis as normal undergraduate degrees and need to be done in combination with another degree or as a post-grad degree. 

Hi,

So for Nsw, for my own DD, as an example, applications for most courses start in Aug, although there are mid year second semester intakes, these are not for all courses. Feb intake is the main one. Degrees are in the main 3 year, but, depends on what you want to study. My DD is doing a 4 year OT degree in NSW, in the UK it only takes 3 years, however she has to do 32 weeks of placement at different locations, so effectively 3 years of knowledge and 1 year (student year) gaining experience. There is usually an idea of what a degree will require as an Atar score, (that’s the score given at the end of year 12 based on final exams, higher the required score more competitive the course (I.e popular). For some degrees such as medicine, music and others they may also require an interview.

As your son would finish A levels in May with results in Aug (I think) that’s when he should apply, he could then start in the new uni year in Feb. Note that late applications require you pay a fee. So... the reason there are usually 3 rounds of offers is because when you apply you put differs choices down, so depending on those choices and competition you may not get your first choice on the first round of offers (late Dec or early Jan) but could get it in the second or even third if others students don’t accept their offer.

I can’t help with converting A levels but another thing to note is that he could come out to the grandparents in say Oct/nov and work a summer job and meet some people and get some money. He will then be ready to start in Feb and as long as you don’t earn too much He’ll be able to claim youth allowance $550 ish a fortnight to live on. He may also need to be able show he’s here to get hecs (domestic student fees paid, to be paid back when he’s working properly through the tax system).

Hope that helps

Busby

Just in case anyone in our situation comes across this thread in the future, I thought I would update it with some further research findings that I think are helpful.

• Education Agents can help you with information about options for studying in Australia
  • They can help with study and visa applications
  • Under Australian law, every Australian education institution that uses the services of an education agent must have a formal contract with the agent and monitor their integrity.
  • Education institutions must also list every education agent that represents them in different countries on their website

12 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Just in case anyone in our situation comes across this thread in the future, I thought I would update it with some further research findings that I think are helpful.

• Education Agents can help you with information about options for studying in Australia
  • They can help with study and visa applications
  • Under Australian law, every Australian education institution that uses the services of an education agent must have a formal contract with the agent and monitor their integrity.
  • Education institutions must also list every education agent that represents them in different countries on their website

Just a point on this one.  Education agents are not migration agents and should not be relied on to give visa advice.  Also education agents are paid by the Universities for each student they recruit so there drive is to get students enrolled so they get paid.  Read in to this what you want.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I would just make a couple of points:

• Education agents make their money from commissions from the educational institutions, so they are not necessarily recommending the best institution, just the one that pays the highest commission.
  • If you do not sign up for a course, they do not get commission, so it's in their interests to scoff at the possible problems and exaggerate the potential benefits.
  • Applying through an education agent does not enhance your chances of being accepted by the institution. 

As your son is a citizen, I struggle to see why an education agent is of any value.   

I would strongly suggest you write to the UAC and get written confirmation that there are no residency requirements for your son to apply through them.  The last thing you want is to go through the process, then find he doesn't qualify.   

• Like 1