Family and work visa question

mrphilwilliams

Hi there. I am 46 and seriously considering relocating to Australia(when all this nonsense is over).

All my close family have already immigrated over the years and I'm the only remaining member left in the UK. 

I have 4 kids ranging from 18-24

I don't have tons of cash...pretty much just enough to apply move my stuff and set my family up somewhere to live. I DO have a secure job but I would be working for a UK company.

So here's the questions:

What visa should I go for..?

If my older siblings do not want to make the move till later,  will the influence what visa I should go for?

If my source of income is from outside Australia will this effect what's visa I go for?

If my source of income is outside aus, would I need to pay income tax within Australia.

Think that's all for now 🙂

Phil

8 hours ago, mrphilwilliams said:

Hi there. I am 46 and seriously considering relocating to Australia(when all this nonsense is over).

All my close family have already immigrated over the years and I'm the only remaining member left in the UK. 

I have 4 kids ranging from 18-24

I don't have tons of cash...pretty much just enough to apply move my stuff and set my family up somewhere to live. I DO have a secure job but I would be working for a UK company.

So here's the questions:

What visa should I go for..?

If my older siblings do not want to make the move till later,  will the influence what visa I should go for?

If my source of income is from outside Australia will this effect what's visa I go for?

If my source of income is outside aus, would I need to pay income tax within Australia.

Think that's all for now 🙂

Phil

As others have indicated, it will be very difficult to go down the skilled pathway due to your age. There are some age exemptions in the employer category, although these are very limited.

A remaining relative visa may be an option, although be mindful that the processing time for these visas is in the decades, so they are not very practical. 

41 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Surely if you have siblings who aren’t in Australia then you’re not the last remaining relative? And does your OH not have any family not in Australia? At the current rate of visa grant you’ll probably be 95 before it’s granted. 

He did say about his older siblings but I think he meant his older kids, certainly wasn’t clear. I assume the kids ages would cause issues too as I imagine they need to be dependant on him and under 23? He said he has work but again, I thought you had to get permission to work on a bridging visa. @mrphilwilliams, I would suggest you contact Raul above for guidance. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mrphilwilliams said:

...thought that was 50?

It used to be 50. It was reduced to 45 not long ago.  I believe there are a few exceptions for short-term work contracts in some occupations - so if your employer needs you in Australia for a few years, that might be an option. However it doesn't lead to permanent residency and you'll have to go home at the end.

You're not eligible for Last Remaining Relative, because you have other close relatives - your children.  Your partner's relatives also count.

Even if there was a visa you could apply for, your children can't come with you unless they are still fully dependent on you, i.e. in full-time education. They also have to still be under 23 when the visa is granted.  So your 24-year-old is already too old, and if the others are already working, they can't come either. Each of them would have to qualify for their own skilled visa.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrphilwilliams said:

Fortunatly there's some accurate info on the Australian Gov Website!.. and I can go for a remaining relative Visa it appears

The replies were accurate as you were asking about coming to Australia to work. If you wish to come on a 115 Remaining Relative then all the rules are different and you may find yourself unable to work for the rest of your life. 

10 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

He did say about his older siblings but I think he meant his older kids, certainly wasn’t clear. I assume the kids ages would cause issues too as I imagine they need to be dependant on him and under 23? He said he has work but again, I thought you had to get permission to work on a bridging visa. @mrphilwilliams, I would suggest you contact Raul above for guidance. 

...sorry Tulip.. I did mean  kids.. muddled up whilst constructing the message on my phone..  My siblings plus my parents are all over there so yes I have plenty of sponsors if need be.

Plus I'm not relying on any type of work sponsorship or if I'm skilled or not.  I can work remotely from anywhere, so I could go to Spain for example and work from there~(without allot of the faf!)... but after allot of thought I thought it might be time to try and finally do it.

I think I may need to contact Australia house directly as its not a strait forward application.

6 minutes ago, mrphilwilliams said:

...sorry Tulip.. I did mean  kids.. muddled up whilst constructing the message on my phone..  My siblings plus my parents are all over there so yes I have plenty of sponsors if need be.

Plus I'm not relying on any type of work sponsorship or if I'm skilled or not.  I can work remotely from anywhere, so I could go to Spain for example and work from there~(without allot of the faf!)... but after allot of thought I thought it might be time to try and finally do it.

I think I may need to contact Australia house directly as its not a strait forward application.

I think you need to consult a registered migration agent rather than Australia House, who will either send you to the unreliable Home Affairs helpline or suggest you contact an RMA.

If you have kids resident in the UK then you are not a remaining relative and if you are over 45 most skilled options have already closed, other than a very few limited employer sponsored exemptions (and you will still be relying on whether you are skilled).

• Like 1