Areas to live in Adelaide

Lavers

So whilst I've plenty of time on my hands I am trying to just get a starting point of which areas to look at around Adelaide.

So just after some advice if some of these areas should be avoided, we have 2 girls 10 & 4.

Aberfoyle Park

Flagstaff Hill

Sheidow Park

Ridgehaven

Flinders Park

Hillcrest

Hallett Cove

West Lake Shore

Klemzig

Warradale

Evandale

Marino

Manningham

Northgate

Plympton

Morphetville

Glengowrie

Trott Park

Mitchell Park

Mount Barker

Fulham Gardens

Vale Park

Some of them we couldn't afford to buy but will be renting for the 1st year or so, so we could get them into better state schools then move out of the area when we buy.

Thanks 

20 hours ago, Lavers said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=578e852abf1eefa4So whilst I've plenty of time on my hands I am trying to just get a starting point of which areas to look at around Adelaide.

So just after some advice if some of these areas should be avoided, we have 2 girls 10 & 4.

Aberfoyle Park

Flagstaff Hill

Sheidow Park

Ridgehaven

Flinders Park

Hillcrest

Hallett Cove

West Lake Shore

Klemzig

Warradale

Evandale

Marino

Manningham

Northgate

Plympton

Morphetville

Glengowrie

Trott Park

Mitchell Park

Mount Barker

Fulham Gardens

Vale Park

Some of them we couldn't afford to buy but will be renting for the 1st year or so, so we could get them into better state schools then move out of the area when we buy.

Thanks 

That's a wide and varied range of suburbs you have listed there.  There is a vast difference in the look and feel in those areas and I doubt all of them would appeal in person but I don't think any are definite avoid areas in your list.  Have you looked at the zoned schools for those areas?  Or the potential private schools?  When we were considering suburbs zoned schools played a bit part in our decisions as we knew we couldn't afford private.  Have a look at https://www.myschool.edu.au/ for info on schools.  When you get out of isolation have a drive round the different areas and see what you think.

Hi Nic

Yeah I've used the bettereducation and myschool websites to get the school rankings and catchment zones.

We will only be using government schools and all these areas seem to have good primary schools, it's just the high schools that let some of the areas down.

When we buy we would want to be a little more out of the CBD so we have a little more room, but I was just thinking whilst we rent is it better to get the kids into one of the better schools.

Just trying to whittle the list down abit, but if theres non to really avoid I will check them all out 👍

It depends how long you are going to be renting for but I would advise looking into high schools and rent in the zone for high school you would like your children to go to.

I know it's difficult to decide that without seeing schools, but it sounds like you may be applying for yr 7 place in a state high school while renting, so you will want to be in zone for a good one.

Beach areas I would say Grange/Henley and Brighton/Seacliff

or a bit further down Hallett Cove (but more of a stoney beach)

Away from the beach just from where we have seen Unley/Norwood or out Belair way.

The train line (Seaford line) goes down to Seaford so bear that in mind if you want easier access into the city. Some beach towns don’t have train or tram stops.

Maslin beach is by far the most picturesque beach we have found along this coast area without going too far out from the city. Nice to visit but too quiet and lack of facilities to live there I think. The far end of it is signed off as nudist but you don’t need to go that far along and whenever we have been there have never really noticed people using that section.  

Brighton High School is meant to be one of the better public schools I have been told. 

We have only been here six months. 

I'm thinking of staying somewhere more central to start now, aiming to get the kids in to fairly decent schools. Then in a year or 2 when we look at buying it doesnt matter if we move north or south.

I'll have a good look around these areas next week when I'm free but I'm liking the look of Plympton area (does anyone know anything about it).

When I buy I definitely like the look of Sheidow park.

Hi Lavers

We lived in Richmond when we first moved here and it was a good central location but quite expensive with it being closer to the city. 

Our 2nd rental was in Park Holme and we really liked it there. It’s close to Marion shopping centre and the outdoor pool for the summer months. There are a couple of train stops around too so easy to get into the city. I don’t think the schools are great around there though. My daughter is in Richmond as she started there and didn’t want to move her around. She is still there now even though we live in Seaford. Me and my wife still work down that way so it’s not to bad to pick her up and drop off. 

If you want hills I would look around Blackwood or Belair but not much train access around there. 

Brighton high school is a really good school but it’s not a big school zone and most of the houses in the zone are quite expensive. 

There are good and bad points around everywhere and best to have a drive through and see what appeals to you. We have friends who are in Plympton and they love it there. They are in a big rental but they are not sure if they could still afford to live in the area when it comes to buying. 

Sheidow park is a good area and not too far from the expressway for city access. 

We are in a new suburb called Seaford Heights. It’s a bit further out but get ocean views and a decent size block and house much more affordable than we could get closer to the city. We like it down here and have shops 5 minutes away and still only a 20 minute drive to Marion. As someone else mentioned the line comes this way so the city is a 50minute train ride with some really good views on the way. For high school I’m not too sure what to do with our daughter. We are looking at Tatachilla which is a good school on huge grounds and Mia loved the open evening there. It’s private but much more affordable than other private schools. The high schools around here don’t have great reviews but we will have a look around them and there is a new one due to open in 2022 near Aldinga 

Unless you want to be a taxi service for kids when they are teens then do consider public transport routes. The Adelaide Hills are lovely but not all areas are well served. 
Also remember bush fire zoning in the hills, factor it in for your risk and insurance prices are high in some areas. 

The Hills are colder than the plain, we get frost in the winter but lovely cooler nights in the summer when the city is melting!

Cheers guys

We will probably do what you did Curly to be honest, stay central whilst we get started then move further a field when we are settled.

I've noticed that a lot of public primary schools are well rated, but it's the high schools which seem to drop down.

Just seen an ok rental in Pasadena which would put us in a good catchment area with Unley high which seems a decent school.

We aren't really bothered about buying in the area we rent as what we could afford would be tiny compared to moving further south or the hills.

Where we lived in the UK was semirural so I think we would prefer that long time.

Hi Lavers

if you are looking around Pasadena area there you would also be ok to look at Mitcham Girls school which our friends daughter goes to and is apparently pretty good. 

It’s a tough choice but just need to find an area that feels right for you and your family. I think most schools are pretty comparable as they are in the UK with good and bad sides. 

48 minutes ago, Curly said:

Hi Lavers

if you are looking around Pasadena area there you would also be ok to look at Mitcham Girls school which our friends daughter goes to and is apparently pretty good. 

It’s a tough choice but just need to find an area that feels right for you and your family. I think most schools are pretty comparable as they are in the UK with good and bad sides. 

Cheers Curly

We have our list of about 20 areas to look at haha but like you say we need to have a drive around to see how they feel.

I think we are trying to stay in catchment areas for Brighton/Unley high school as they are highly though of. 

Ultimately though its going to depend on what's up for rental when we are ready to rent.

I had a look at Mitchem girls online, it does look good and no catchment area 👍