States/Regions

Maria18

Hey

So I am currently in the long process of applying for a 190 or 491 visa, and I will have to travel to Aus within the next 6 months to register with Nursing company, APHRA. I am wondering if anyone knows what city I will actually be best travelling to. My migration agent has not yet informed me of places where I can/cannot work or move to, and we are struggling with how much we would need to save without having a bit of an idea about what part of Aus we will be going. 

Originally, we had a preference for QLD, but we heard that unless you have 5 years minimum work ex, they won't invite you. So now our next option would be Adelaide, NSW or Perth (although I have heard that Perth is supposed to be the toughest to get into). 

Does anyone know what we are best going for. I have heard that the Northern Territory is the most likely, but it doesn't seem to appeal to me...

My son will be 13, almost 14 when we get over there and I would like a famiy friendly suburban area, close links to school and hospitals etc for work.

• 2 weeks later...

AHPRA isnt a nursing company, it's a registration agency (a nightmare to deal with!) and unless you have a visa, given the current travel restrictions, you could find that you arent able to get into the country anyway.  Do you need to be registered with AHPRA before you get your visa? (I've no idea, I would have thought you would have got the visa first because then you'd have an idea of where you are going to end up)

How much will you need to save - gee, that's a piece of string kinda question.  Having just moved back to my own home, I've been haemorrhaging cash for the most trivial stuff - car, insurances, basics etc etc and we dont have any kids, mortgage, etc.  In addition you will need to plan for being out of work for a period - they used to reckon 6 months.  You'll also have the visa costs, transportation of your stuff, fares etc - I dont think you will get much change from £50k but if you do that's a bonus and you'll have a buffer.

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

AHPRA isnt a nursing company, it's a registration agency (a nightmare to deal with!) and unless you have a visa, given the current travel restrictions, you could find that you arent able to get into the country anyway.  Do you need to be registered with AHPRA before you get your visa? (I've no idea, I would have thought you would have got the visa first because then you'd have an idea of where you are going to end up)

How much will you need to save - gee, that's a piece of string kinda question.  Having just moved back to my own home, I've been haemorrhaging cash for the most trivial stuff - car, insurances, basics etc etc and we dont have any kids, mortgage, etc.  In addition you will need to plan for being out of work for a period - they used to reckon 6 months.  You'll also have the visa costs, transportation of your stuff, fares etc - I dont think you will get much change from £50k but if you do that's a bonus and you'll have a buffer.

The skills assessment is through ANMAC - this is the assessing body for Nursing for Visa's.  

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

Do you need to be registered with AHPRA before you get your visa? (I've no idea, I would have thought you would have got the visa first because then you'd have an idea of where you are going to end up)

The problem is that AHPRA registration can take months, and you must be registered before your visa can be finalised.  We've had members here who decided to wait till they got an invite - and then found that the state gave them only three months to meet all the requirements, which is not nearly enough to achieve registration.  

I thought AHPRA was a national body, so it would make sense to go to the national headquarters in Melbourne?

On 23/06/2020 at 01:11, Maria18 said:

My migration agent has not yet informed me of places where I can/cannot work or move to, and we are struggling with how much we would need to save without having a bit of an idea about what part of Aus we will be going. 

The only thing that will really make a difference is the cost of housing.  The cost of living across Australia doesn't change enough to be worth worrying about.    The usual advice is to be prepared to spend at least £30,000 on the application process, relocating and getting set up in Australia.  If you are likely to take a while to find work, you'll need extra to cover living expenses for a few months as you won't be entitled to benefits. 

36 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The problem is that AHPRA registration can take months, and you must be registered before your visa can be finalised.  We've had members here who decided to wait till they got an invite - and then found that the state gave them only three months to meet all the requirements, which is not nearly enough to achieve registration.  

I thought AHPRA was a national body, so it would make sense to go to the national headquarters in Melbourne?

You can get your visa with the ANMAC skills assessment and not have AHPRA registration (depends upon the visa you're applying for, obviously if dependent upon a job offer then you'd need to have your registration to get the job), but Independent visa's you could apply for registration once in the country.    AHPRA will have offices in each state - the one in Perth is in Subiaco.  You can get registration prior to doing a skills assessment (which allows you to then apply for a modified skills assessment). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Indeed, AHPRA has always been a sluggard nightmare! I thought they asked for an Australian address as part of the process.  It'd be a bugger to get yourself all set up with AHPRA then not get a visa but you've had to pay for a visit to get your AHPRA registration done.  Swings and roundabouts I guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quoll said:

Indeed, AHPRA has always been a sluggard nightmare! I thought they asked for an Australian address as part of the process.  It'd be a bugger to get yourself all set up with AHPRA then not get a visa but you've had to pay for a visit to get your AHPRA registration done.  Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Equally it would be a bigger to do all the backend processing of a visa applicant only to find they couldn't get AHPRA registration.

Given immigration is setup to favour the people processing not the people applying I can't see this process changing anytime soon

1 minute ago, Ausvisitor said:

Equally it would be a bigger to do all the backend processing of a visa applicant only to find they couldn't get AHPRA registration.

Given immigration is setup to favour the people processing not the people applying I can't see this process changing anytime soon

To be honest, for nursing, if you pass the skills assessment you've probably met the criteria for registration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ali said:

To be honest, for nursing, if you pass the skills assessment you've probably met the criteria for registration.

That's true, I think my point here was that immigration processes are never designed to be easy to the applicant, they are always skewed to making it simpler for the department even if that makes it an absolute headache for the applicant

• Like 3

Thank you for all your replies. I have applied with AHPRA but am aware I may have to wait longer than usual for this. Once I am invited to register, I will either fly out to Aus or ask them if they can maybe extend the period to present in person from 12 weeks to longer. My agent told me to get the nursing registration first before skills assessment as said it will maske my chances of passing modified skills assessment easier, but then I learnt I would have to travel there and that I didn't necessarily need the AHPRA at this stage!

It's been a  very stressful process up to now as I have been finding out most of the information on here or through other websites but as I am contracted to my agent, I cannot cancel as I signed. It has upset me a lot as to get any information from them I have to call numerous times...

Next step is to wait for AHPRA, then a possible trip to Aus, and in mean time skills assessment. (Or I may have to cut my losses and lost the £365 to AHPRA and apply later down the line if they can't put it on hold for me). I need to do my English test also and as long as I pass skills assessment, I can put in the EOI... 

We have began the application and are spending the money as we go along, so APHRA/ANMAC/IELTS have all been paid for, as has our agent fees etc, so finances now aren't a problem for us as we both work full time and have been saving for this since 2015. We haven't spent anywhere near £30,000 and don't intend to.

We rent here so don't have a house to sell.

We will stay in an air b&b for the first month or so when we get to Aus and then rent. We are very flexible with where we go in VIC. We are selling all our furniture here and storing only what we need or want at families homes, so we save on storage and won't be transferring furniture etc to Aus. We will buy basics for our accommodation there. We don't plan to stay in Aus, as we want to buy a house in the UK in the future. We just want to try it out as it has been my dream for almost 10 years and if it doesn't work, at least we tried and have no regrets. 🙂

1 hour ago, Maria18 said:

We have began the application and are spending the money as we go along, so APHRA/ANMAC/IELTS have all been paid for, as has our agent fees etc, so finances now aren't a problem for us as we both work full time and have been saving for this since 2015. We haven't spent anywhere near £30,000 and don't intend to.

We rent here so don't have a house to sell.

We will stay in an air b&b for the first month or so when we get to Aus and then rent. We are very flexible with where we go in VIC. We are selling all our furniture here and storing only what we need or want at families homes, so we save on storage and won't be transferring furniture etc to Aus. We will buy basics for our accommodation there. We don't plan to stay in Aus, as we want to buy a house in the UK in the future. We just want to try it out as it has been my dream for almost 10 years and if it doesn't work, at least we tried and have no regrets. 🙂

If you're thinking of it only as a temporary move - why not consider trying to get a career break from your employer?  Something to consider as you've said your child will be 13/14 when you move is the possibility of University - as if you return to the UK there may be a period before you can get a student loan due to having not been resident.  If you're on a temporary visa in Aus you will have international fees for both HS and Uni.

• Like 1