Moving in Queensland

Dipi

Hi there,

We are in the process of migration to Queensland from UK. I'm waiting for my state nomination, already received the invitation. I have three kids (11, 8 & 3) and I'm a registered nurse. I would like to know which regions/ suberb will be the best place to stay in terms of weather, kids state/ public schools/ good school and my job in hospital. I also prefer   not very crowded area. I'm keep searching and getting lost in here. if anyone has any ideas , could you please share and give suggestions ?

Many thanks

Hi guys 

Queensland is massive ,there are wayyy to many areas that would suit your criteria to list here without narrowing down the search a bit.

Take a look on realestate.com at property and rental costs and see if you can pin point a few areas you think you would like.. Have a think if you want to be near a beach, a city, or hinterland on acerage etc but more than anything look into were you will work and go from there. If you secured work at say Caloundra hospital you wouldnt want to be living miles away as commuting on the highway can be very tedious.

Qld weather is beautiful all year round, just avoid buying in areas notorious for flooding. You can view flood maps on the internet.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dipi said:

Hi there,

We are in the process of migration to Queensland from UK. I'm waiting for my state nomination, already received the invitation. I have three kids (11, 8 & 3) and I'm a registered nurse. I would like to know which regions/ suberb will be the best place to stay in terms of weather, kids state/ public schools/ good school and my job in hospital. I also prefer   not very crowded area. I'm keep searching and getting lost in here. if anyone has any ideas , could you please share and give suggestions ?

Many thanks

We live in the Bayside area of Brisbane (Wynnum/Manly). Can definitely recommend it as being family friendly. Manly state school primary is very well rated. Very easy access to all the local hospitals for jobs too. RBWH, QCH, PAH and Cleveland hospital are 30 mins away by car. Nursing jobs can be competitive - some will only offer a temporary contract that gets renewed yearly.

On 01/05/2020 at 03:46, LouDYorkie said:

Do you have to be in a regional area for the visa you have in progress? That would narrow the search a little?

Yes, except Brisbane anywhere. I've received today the invitation for visa application, thinking of southport, Gold Coast 

On 01/05/2020 at 02:16, calNgary said:

Hi guys 

Queensland is massive ,there are wayyy to many areas that would suit your criteria to list here without narrowing down the search a bit.

Take a look on realestate.com at property and rental costs and see if you can pin point a few areas you think you would like.. Have a think if you want to be near a beach, a city, or hinterland on acerage etc but more than anything look into were you will work and go from there. If you secured work at say Caloundra hospital you wouldnt want to be living miles away as commuting on the highway can be very tedious.

Qld weather is beautiful all year round, just avoid buying in areas notorious for flooding. You can view flood maps on the internet.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Thank you 

My priority is good state, private or gifted and talented schools as well as but less crowd, descent place, lower crime rate, bit cheaper house/rent, hospital for my job. 

Is Southport flood risk? 

Thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dipi said:

Thank you 

My priority is good state, private or gifted and talented schools as well as but less crowd, descent place, lower crime rate, bit cheaper house/rent, hospital for my job. 

Is Southport flood risk? 

Thanks

Southport probably wouldn't be your cup of tea, if your looking for less crowds and lower crime etc. I have always said the other side of the highway is much nicer, way less people and not as much crime.  Gaven,  Maudsland, Tallai, Mudgeerebba are all much nicer suburbs IMO if you are wanting to be Gold Coast way. They should be under Regional postcodes too.

You would need to look into schools very carefully as i have no experience of the coast schools at all other than the notorious ones that always seem to get negative press. Schools here are very different to the UK schools and can take some getting used too, i have had one child start in Yr 4 and graduate yr 12 and another who started in Prep and is now Yr 11 ,both chalk and cheese kids, one naughty the other an A student,, they went through the same public schools and i cant really fault the schooling or discipline at all, it seems more relaxed than my high school days thats for sure,lol.

Cal x

It is very hard to decide where to live based on internet research.   I would suggest perhaps taking a holiday rental for a few weeks when you first arrive, and go around and look at all the areas you think you would like.   We did this when we arrived in WA, and the area we now live was never on our radar as a possible place to live.  We stumbled upon the suburb on one of our drives and walks around different areas we had shortlisted, and 30 years later, still live here.  

My son is now living on the Gold Coast and I visit frequently, and I think you might find that Southport is not an area that would appeal to you.   Do some research about suburbs on the other side of the M1 towards the Hinterland, or further south like Burleigh, Varsity Lakes, Robina, as I think you might find they would suit you better.  

30 minutes ago, Rossmoyne said:

It is very hard to decide where to live based on internet research.   I would suggest perhaps taking a holiday rental for a few weeks when you first arrive, and go around and look at all the areas you think you would like.   We did this when we arrived in WA, and the area we now live was never on our radar as a possible place to live.  We stumbled upon the suburb on one of our drives and walks around different areas we had shortlisted, and 30 years later, still live here.  

My son is now living on the Gold Coast and I visit frequently, and I think you might find that Southport is not an area that would appeal to you.   Do some research about suburbs on the other side of the M1 towards the Hinterland, or further south like Burleigh, Varsity Lakes, Robina, as I think you might find they would suit you better.  

Thank you so much. I think I should possibly follow Yr idea of holiday accommodation n seee from there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dipi said:

Thank you so much. I think I should possibly follow Yr idea of holiday accommodation n seee from there. 

Try Ashmore Palms or Gold Coast holiday village. You used to be able to hire a cabin for 3 or 4 weeks at a discount price at Ashmore and the staff were great in giving you a point in the right direction. I know quite a few familys who used that place as a starting point over the years.

Cal x

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 06:25, calNgary said:

Try Ashmore Palms or Gold Coast holiday village. You used to be able to hire a cabin for 3 or 4 weeks at a discount price at Ashmore and the staff were great in giving you a point in the right direction. I know quite a few familys who used that place as a starting point over the years.

Cal x

thanks dear. great help.

• 2 weeks later...

We've lived in Hervey Bay now for 16 years and wouldn't live anywhere else. Good infrastructure (60,000 population), a massive health sector for employment, beaches (no crocs!) and one of the best voted climates in the WORLD! We're approximately 3 and a half hours north of Brisbane by road and a couple of hours to the Sunshine Coast. We live in paradise!

PS If you don't want crowds or crime, then DON'T move to Southport.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2020 at 10:36, Csc1980 said:

How about south Brisbane such like Greenbank area? My concern is low crime rate, good schools, and jobs. Thanks

Greenbank is lovely although there are lots of estates popping up nearby. The building around this area of Brisbane is off the radar at the minute and since the COVID lockdown land is selling fast. I think the OP fancied more Gold Coast way which would be an hours or so drive from Greenbank.

Cal x

• Like 1

Greenbank is lovely although there are lots of estates popping up nearby. The building around this area of Brisbane is off the radar at the minute and since the COVID lockdown land is selling fast. I think the OP fancied more Gold Coast way which would be an hours or so drive from Greenbank.

Cal x

My hubby prefers North Lakes, me prefer same money spent for a bigger house and land. We don't use public transport at all...

Any other nice suburbs would you recommand?

On 28/05/2020 at 01:36, Csc1980 said:

How about south Brisbane such like Greenbank area? My concern is low crime rate, good schools, and jobs. Thanks

Thank you so much. But Brisbane is not included in regional so unable to choose that. 

2 hours ago, Dipi said:

Thank you so much. But Brisbane is not included in regional so unable to choose that. 

You may want to double check that, if you are interested in the looks of Greenbank with its spacious plots and greenery .. These areas are classed as far south Brisbane or Greater Brisbane, not actually Brisbane city or even Brisbane South. I am only 10/ 15 mins from Greenbank and our postcode and many of the surrounding suburbs are on the regional list as are many areas between here and the GC.

Cal x

On 29/05/2020 at 15:26, Csc1980 said:

My hubby prefers North Lakes, me prefer same money spent for a bigger house and land. We don't use public transport at all...

Any other nice suburbs would you recommand?

North Lakes is like UK estate living, Greenbank is more or less the total opposite. Chalk and Cheese really. It would depend what you wanted as a family and where your jobs would be for commuting reasons. It will be hard to list areas until your more decided what you want. Some people prefer a smaller garden on an estate,some  like the greenery and privacy of acreage, both have there up's and downs so it does come down to personal preference. What sort of hobbys do you all have?

Cal x

On 01/05/2020 at 07:31, Dipi said:

Hi there,

Many thanks

After reading through the other comments and your responses to them I would look keenly at the Gold Coast , there are many opportunities for work for a registered nurse  with Gold Coast university hospital , and Robina hospital and other avenues such as many medical facilities . The Gold Coast is a beautiful city with many suburbs that every family will have a different preference for whether it be cost related , work related ,school related , personally recommended etc . The advice given  to stay at a holiday rental on arrival was given to us some 8 years ago and it was the best advice we were given . We stayed at Ashmore Palms on the Gold Coast and ended up there for 3 weeks and we actually took the cheapest accomodation ( the long stay )that we could get as money was tight and I also know of others that stayed in the better cabins and all have been successful in their settling  . It’s a perfect base to gain a feel for the Gold Coast , seek out suburbs , set up a rental ( which you need to gain a place at the local state school to where you choose to reside unless private ) . Being at Ashmore palms or I’m guessing would be the same at any temporary accomodation we were able to use that address to redgister with Medicare , Centrelink to gain a Tax file number and we also used the address  for  any correspondence for job applications etc. the staff there we’re extremely helpful and would happily extend your stay if needed . It’s a perfect base to seek out job opportunities ,suburbs and very central to the hospitals with Gc uni hospital what 5 to 10 minutes drive and Robina 10 - 15 mins .Southport is around 5 -10 mins form the holiday park and you will see what they mean by it not being the ideal place to live , but it’s great for the kids with the Broadwater parklands and beach front 

• Like 2