Teaching qualifications

StaceyL530

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is or has been in the same boat as me that could offer advice. 

I am a primary school teacher in the UK. Worked in education for over 10 years and in my 5th year of teaching full time. Have a 1st class primary Ed (BA honours) degree with Qts. 

I know qts isn't valid in oz, so I have been looking into doing a pgce top up course. However, I am aware that my UK qualifications must be equivalent to 4 years. This top up degree will be another year but part time. Designed to work alongside my current work. Would this be sufficient? 

I grew up in Sydney as a child and gained citizenship via my parents but would love to go back but would love to continue my profession. I'm aiming for Jan 2023. So I will need to start the course this year ideally. I don't want to do it and find out afterwards it isn't enough. I would really struggle going back to uni full time without the wage etc but keeping my options open. 

If anyone could point me in the right direction of who to ask that would be great. Smart teachers advised that my qualifications be 'equivalent to 4 years'  my degree was 3 years plus the part time 1 year top up? Would that work? 

Thank you xx

I know the four year degree is required to get a visa, but I'm wondering, is it required by all education authorities in every state?  

What Immigration demands and what is actually required to get a job aren't always the same thing.  I don't know what the situation is with teaching but it's worth asking. 

Also worth looking into what's required to teach in private schools, of which there are many more in Australia.

Yes, a four year degree or three year degree and one year post grad is required by all states and territories (the same is demanded of Australian graduates). A teacher must be registered to teach, whether that is in public or private schools, and that registration cannot be obtained without the proper qualifications.

On another note, the one year post-grad option of study is no longer available in Australia and has been replaced by the two year Master of Teaching, for those who have an initial degree in another area.

Edited by Sammy1
  • Like 1

I agree with Quoll, a part time one year top up would not be sufficient. You would need one year of full time study (or part-time spaced over two years which is equivalent to a year). Have you considered doing part time study over two years? Such as a masters or related area like special needs or early education?
If your Bachelor of Education is accepted here (please research), then you really do not need to do a PGCE in the same area IF that is the case. I would recommend taking some proper advice from a professional agent.

• Like 1