189 Visa - Increasing Point Score

arch123

Hi All, 

January saw 1000 invites for 189 with minimum 90 points. I currently have 85. Any idea if there's any way you can increase your points score? My points include skilled partner points and offshore experience. Unfortunately I don't have onshore experience. Is the NAATI qualification an option? Anyone know what's involved and even if it is possible? 

Thanks 

32 minutes ago, arch123 said:

Hi All, 

January saw 1000 invites for 189 with minimum 90 points. I currently have 85. Any idea if there's any way you can increase your points score? My points include skilled partner points and offshore experience. Unfortunately I don't have onshore experience. Is the NAATI qualification an option? Anyone know what's involved and even if it is possible? 

Thanks 

It's possible but unless you are very good at picking up other languages you won't get it

On 10/02/2020 at 04:21, arch123 said:

Hi All, 

Thanks 

I did the NAATI test last year and passed. It’s 5 free points essentially. They give you some material to go over then during the test,  they play a recording and you respond (in either English or the language you are testing for). It’s expensive but worth it. 

2 hours ago, Afrochic+61 said:

I did the NAATI test last year and passed. It’s 5 free points essentially. They give you some material to go over then during the test,  they play a recording and you respond (in either English or the language you are testing for). It’s expensive but worth it. 

Yes but only if you are already at a decent level in a second language that is on the list.

Learning a new language to the required level is a little over the top for just 5 points.

On 10/02/2020 at 05:21, arch123 said:

Hi All, 

Thanks 

@arch123 - you don't mention the English test, does that mean you haven't done it?

Edited by Marisawright

10 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Yes but only if you are already at a decent level in a second language that is on the list.

Learning a new language to the required level is a little over the top for just 5 points.

Of course you can’t be learning a new language for the test. That would be quite tricky. I think it’s mostly for people who speak a second language and need to boost points - like in my case. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. 

So yesterday saw many offshore 190 NSW invites. I have spoken to a few people who were invited and they had less points than me and lodged a month or more later. Does anyone know if NSW group invites by occupation? 

1 hour ago, arch123 said:

Thanks Raul - do you think there might be another lot of invitations issued? As it seems those who received invites had anszco codes starting 33/34..whereas mine is 232111?

Each state works to its own rules and it's based on what occupations they feel are needed at the time.  So, no way to predict.