Australia Wagyu

Guest Emilywood2

Guest The Pom Queen

The youngest got in to the Wagyu whilst doing some work at a local restaurant. In fact we bought him a piece for Christmas when we went to the butcher. It was $30+ for a small slice and was MB9 I don’t know much about the grading apart from I couldn’t afford to buy us all a piece to try and I was worried about him burning it 😂 He cooked it perfectly, I had a taste and it really does melt in your mouth. My son loves steak but said if it was any larger he thinks it could get too sickly. I wish I could afford it, because I would eat it weekly. 
‘We watched a programme together where the producer went to a restaurant and ordered a $600 steak. He said it was the best ever. I would never find out. 

The Costco wagyu eye fillet is really good, but it's rocketted from about $50 to $78.99 a kilo in the last 2 years.   It looks so fatty but it melts away at 300 degrees and we grill 4 mins per side for med rare...pretty much no fat left in it but the taste stays.

The Japanese stuff is amazing, but they've banned export of the best bloodlines now, because if Australia and the USA got hold of the sperm they'd take over the market and shut the Japanese down.  I think the American version is crossbred with black angus?

I even saw they have it in the UK now and tried to get some for Xmas, but the few wagyu farms were restaurant supply only and asking stupid prices.

Guest The Pom Queen

I didn’t know Costco sold Wagyu. I will tell him to keep his eyes peeled.

He keeps begging me to let him have his own cattle then he can rear his own. There is no chance on this earth. One I can’t afford to feed him let alone the special food the cattle have to eat and two, I couldn’t have one butchered.

11 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I didn’t know Costco sold Wagyu. I will tell him to keep his eyes peeled.

He keeps begging me to let him have his own cattle then he can rear his own. There is no chance on this earth. One I can’t afford to feed him let alone the special food the cattle have to eat and two, I couldn’t have one butchered.

Be thankful you don’t have a horse.  Just back from visiting a full board facility for the horse that we just didn’t expect to return from lease.  $280/week plus our supplements and feed differentials.  $1,500/month easy.  

• Sad 1

Guest The Pom Queen
11 hours ago, Bulya said:

Be thankful you don’t have a horse.  Just back from visiting a full board facility for the horse that we just didn’t expect to return from lease.  $280/week plus our supplements and feed differentials.  $1,500/month easy.  

Wow I thought agistment was only $40 a week shows how much I know about horses. 

4 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Wow I thought agistment was only $40 a week shows how much I know about horses. 

It is one of the best in Australia but even that price won’t include any lessons, vet bills, 6-8 weekly farrier, chiro, and vehicle expenses (it isn’t local).  Back to bread and water 

16 hours ago, Bulya said:

That seems quite high.  Does the agistment allow riding at the property? If so it could be that you are paying for public liability insurance. Several years ago I had two horses at agistment locally and paid about $120 per week for both horses. That was before the madness of public liability came into agistment properties.

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

That seems quite high.  Does the agistment allow riding at the property? If so it could be that you are paying for public liability insurance. Several years ago I had two horses at agistment locally and paid about $120 per week for both horses. That was before the madness of public liability came into agistment properties.

Not really, we think it’s good value for money.  Flexibility is their edge, they’ll do what we want.  Ironic that we just have away thousands of dollars in gear to the bushfire appeal for horse kit.  Now we have to go out and buy some again 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2020 at 13:34, Bulya said:

I'm assuming your horse is a warmblood/thoroughbred??  I have a friend who has 4 pure bred Arabs and they cost a bit to keep in the peak of condition.  Looking after a horse isn't cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 17/02/2020 at 12:46, unzippy said:

Works out pretty cheap if you buy the whole fillet /rib eye and slice yourself for the freezer👍

I would just love some steak now. I’ve been stuck on bland hospital food for 7 weeks (I think, I’ve lost count) with a few days at home in between before the last two ops.  It just seems such a waste to buy so much, a whole fillet would probably take me 2 years to get through lol.