Comparing shipping costs

Dorsetbrit

From what I’ve read a 20ft container is is going to cost around 4K give or take but I can’t find a rough price for the large move cubes, to get a quote you have to say how many boxes etc and the sizes of them. I don’t leave until September but want to know what we might take or just buy new out there. I doubt we’ll do much furniture maybe little boys bedroom furniture so the rest is pictures, cloths, business files (7 years of accounts) bikes and that’s about it. Not sure we’d fill a 20ft container but maybe we could squeeze all in to a move cube. It’s hard knowing when to think about this stuff as we have around 8 months to go but we need to keep a tally of what things cost let alone thinking about selling house, closing down a business trying to get a new job and somewhere to live. Mind boggling but super excited.

I would say just get the reps from a few companies out to give you a quote. Each one can tell you a price for a shared container or own container. You can then play them off against each other a little. Make sure each rep knows you have another 3 companies giving a price.

we got Pickfords, John Mason and PSS round. The difference was about £500 and the higher ones then offered to match so then it’s personal preference.

Go independent for insurance. You don’t want the shipper and insurance being the same ING you have to make a claim. They’ve already picked sides. Letton Percival or Insure your move are two good options. Letton Percival don’t cover tools though. 

11 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

I can’t find a rough price for the large move cubes, to get a quote you have to say how many boxes etc and the sizes of them.

You must have got to the wrong part of their website.   They also ship individual boxes so I think you got on the wrong quote page. Here is the right one:

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/GetQuote?MyOptions=Furniture

To work out what's worth taking with you, do a trial shop online at some of the big Australian stores, pretending that you're replacing all the stuff you left behind. It's a great way to put everything in perspective.  I think I may have suggested that before, if not and you need some links, let me know.

That one worked much better, I must of been in wrong place. It’s around half price of a container and that’s with them storing for a month as when we get there we will air b&b until we find somewhere to live. Is this what people do or do you just guess it and rent something before you go?
Thanks guys I look forward to helping other people once we have completed the move.

47 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

That one worked much better, I must of been in wrong place. It’s around half price of a container and that’s with them storing for a month as when we get there we will air b&b until we find somewhere to live. Is this what people do or do you just guess it and rent something before you go?

Yes, people do book an AirBnB or a holiday let for about four weeks usually.   Never, ever take on a long-term rental without inspecting the place first, because real estate agents shamelessly doctor the photos to make them look better, and you can end up with a real dive (actually we found the same thing in Bournemouth, so it's not just Australian agents that do it!). 

Why would you need to store the Movecube for a month?   The Movecube will take six to eight weeks to get to Australia. So ideally, you want to send it off  three weeks before you leave the UK, then you'll have four weeks in your AirBnB, then your Movecube will be arriving around the time when you get the keys to your new home.

Obviously, you'll have to work out how you're going to manage for those last few weeks, once the Movecube has gone.  One strategy is to move in with relatives.  Another option is to "camp" in your own home - easier if you were planning to leave your big furniture behind anyway, as you can go on using it. 

• Like 1

I got a few quotes off seven seas the other day as I am also looking at moving in the summer (if I can last that long).

The biggest one was £1025 pick up near Manchester and taken to an address in Adelaide, with $900 fees in Aus.

The middle one was £570 with I think $500 fees in Aus.

The weight limit for the boxes is 1250Kg I think.

These are for me doing all the packing and unpacking. 

Im not planning on taking much and the money I save from not using a container can be spent on buying new furniture.

Ive been looking at Harvey norman which seems pretty good and prices don't seem much different from the UK. (For white goods & tvs)

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

They get my vote as well, great service.

And they take your old machine away along with all the packaging from the new one.  I ordered a new dishwasher just before Christmas as my old one gave up. Two days later all sorted with minimal effort on my part and a good $130 cheaper than Harvey’s 

On 09/01/2020 at 10:37, Dorsetbrit said:

Thanks guys I look forward to helping other people once we have completed the move.

New to the site but we seem to be in similar situation, I’m an accountant, married with a 2 year old child. Would like to understand visa options was looking at 189 skilled visa but not sure if difficult to obtain . We plan on living in mackay, qld so maybe regional visa easier

30 minutes ago, Grimbles said:

New to the site but we seem to be in similar situation, I’m an accountant, married with a 2 year old child. Would like to understand visa options was looking at 189 skilled visa but not sure if difficult to obtain . We plan on living in mackay, qld so maybe regional visa easier

The 189 visa would be very difficult to obtain.  It's a points-based visa and it's a competition, not a queue - the people with the most points get picked.   Currently, there are so many accountants applying with high point scores, you'll need over 95 points to get picked. Anything less, and you'll just languish in the queue until your application expires. 

The regional visas are all managed by the states, and each state has its own rules and requirements.  You'll find some occupations are on the list in some states but not in others, and the conditions vary too. So you'll need to check the requirements of each state to know whether you can apply.   

The easiest way forward is to have an initial consultation with a migration agent. The reputable ones will give you a free initial consult.

• Thanks 1

My wife’s an accountant and managed to achieve 75 points which is about as high as you can get. The reason it’s so popular is because of Asians are very good at maths and the also can study in Australia which gives extra points that we just can’t get in the uk so we’re advised to go for a state sponsored visa and the only states offering that or at least we’re offering that was NSW and Northern Territory. Once we submitted we were offered to apply very quick and now we have our permanent visas but the catch is we need to work two years in NSW when we really wanted to live in Brisbane but a small price to pay I feel. The process is around 18mths - 2 years and the paper work you need is extensive, thankfully my wife being an accountant she keeps good records as well as contacts from previous jobs in order to get paper work required. We received our visas two weeks before Xmas and plan to leave in September giving us the time to sell house, plan where to go, research jobs, close my business, wife hand notice in, the list goes on, I’d leave tomorrow but we have to be sensible and it will take a lot of planning.

11 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

the catch is we need to work two years in NSW when we really wanted to live in Brisbane but a small price to pay I feel. 

@Dorsetbrit, what business are you in?   The North Coast of NSW is a lovely area with some gorgeous beaches and several nice smaller cities, and you can be within a few hours' easy drive of Brisbane. 

People often make the mistake of thinking that if they're coming to NSW they must come to Sydney, but it's not the case.   

Edited by Marisawright

On 10/01/2020 at 08:25, rammygirl said:

Yes.  American style side by side or top bottom ones are on there somewhere.  Think you search under fridges. Oddly the bottom mount fridges have the freezer on the bottom and the fridge bit on top!

That is the least odd thing ever.  You go to your fridge many times more often than your freezer.  I haven't seen one the other way round in years!

[mention=260432]Dorsetbrit[/mention], what business are you in?   The North Coast of NSW is a lovely area with some gorgeous beaches and several nice smaller cities, and you can be within a few hours' easy drive of Brisbane. 
People often make the mistake of thinking that if they're coming to NSW they must come to Sydney, but it's not the case.   

It’s mor about the wife, she’s a chartered accountant and for the sort of wages needed Sydney I’d our best hope. Plus we have our visas now so all set. I’m a landscape gardener so can pretty much go anywhere.

8 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

It’s mor about the wife, she’s a chartered accountant and for the sort of wages needed Sydney I’d our best hope. Plus we have our visas now so all set. I’m a landscape gardener so can pretty much go anywhere.

If she's aiming for a big corporate job, then you're right Sydney is the only place in NSW because that's where all the big head offices are.  However to offset that, houses in Sydney are at least double the price of houses everywhere else in NSW.     

Plus the fact that Sydney is awash with accountants - if your wife is at the top end of her profession she'll be fine, but there's huge competition in the low to middle ranks.  

There is a demand for accountants in the regional cities because so many are drawn to Sydney.   Newcastle is the next biggest city, with an enviable lifestyle for young families.  There are some prestigious private schools in other regional cities who need accountants.  Worth keeping an eye out.

If she's aiming for a big corporate job, then you're right Sydney is the only place in NSW because that's where all the big head offices are.  However to offset that, houses in Sydney are at least double the price of houses everywhere else in NSW.     
Plus the fact that Sydney is awash with accountants - if your wife is at the top end of her profession she'll be fine, but there's huge competition in the low to middle ranks.  
There is a demand for accountants in the regional cities because so many are drawn to Sydney.   Newcastle is the next biggest city, with an enviable lifestyle for young families.  There are some prestigious private schools in other regional cities who need accountants.  Worth keeping an eye out.

That’s really helpful and we’re not locked down the Sydney but she’s hoping that her company she works for now will create a roll to keep her as they have an office in Sydney. She works for a top 100 company and is around director level now so if we are to be in Sydney it will need to pay well though she’s happy to commute an hour or so. I’ll take what I can get but I’m looking to not do the heavy hard work and move to sales and design if not a complete change of career but hard to know what to do when you’ve done the same thing for 20years!
  • Like 1