Seven seas Movecube insurance

Natgoesrunning

We haven't insured and our cube went last week. Generally we are your cautious but the 7 Seas insurance seemed like a right faff and if it takes off the shop we would never be able to replace much of it anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about it actually.

We had more space  than we needed.

873F0A5C-63B6-4769-8B52-F4774786E2B5.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Natgoesrunning said:

Oh wow! You did too. Ours will be a bit fuller but I think it will be plenty of room. Thanks, still not sure about insurance?!?! Too many decisions!

That's what we thought! Too stressful by half!!! We certainly weren't expecting so much space left over as our mock up tesselation was much closer to the dimensions but guess DH must have had a misspent youth playing Tetris or something.  I don't think we would have got away with medium but we could have included the freezer and tumble dryer if we'd not decided to leave them behind.

Used Letton Percival both for our main container and for sons move cube.  Not really a faff as you have to list contents anyway, and estimating values certainly makes you realise it is worth shipping!  I guess it is down to personal attitude to risk, what you are transporting and how good you are at packing!  Sons small cube was packed and we filled any gaps with towels and cushions so nothing would move in transit. Decided to insure though as he had a few musical instruments that added up to quite a lot if he were to replace them.

Incidentally we did have to claim on our container shipment as the handling company in Australia damaged a TV and broke some crystal candelabras. Letton Percival were great and it was all settled and paid out quickly.

Edited by rammygirl

• 2 months later...
On 17/12/2019 at 23:03, Quoll said:

We haven't insured and our cube went last week. Generally we are your cautious but the 7 Seas insurance seemed like a right faff and if it takes off the shop we would never be able to replace much of it anyway. I'm not sure how I feel about it actually.

We had more space  than we needed.

873F0A5C-63B6-4769-8B52-F4774786E2B5.jpeg

Hi, could I ask how much including charges did this container cost, it’s probably about the size we are looking to take. 

6 hours ago, kimboslice said:

Hi, could I ask how much including charges did this container cost, it’s probably about the size we are looking to take. 

Cambridge to Canberra it was about £950 UK side then another $900 at the other end I think - ball park figures.  It was more than we needed but I dont think we could have gone down to a medium

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

Cambridge to Canberra it was about £950 UK side then another $900 at the other end I think - ball park figures.  It was more than we needed but I dont think we could have gone down to a medium

Thanks very much, very kind to share the information.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hi Everyone

When I start listing values against items, do I do it to what it would cost new or what it is worth now?

Also Quoll I take it is ok to itemise things like you have, I don't have to list every thing do I?

I didn’t do the lists For the shippers inventory but IIRC DH listed pretty much as we listed on the boxes - but he listed several distinct categories on the boxes - like there was a fur coat in one and he listed that separately Because it could have been an issue for customs. We did try and Keep things in roughly the same categories.  When packing, he was a bit ocd and put labels on front and back of boxes and stuck coloured squares with numbers on front and back too - that’s been a boon to us finding the right boxes as we unload gradually this end. Also we put things that might have been of most interest to customs at the opening end, so more accessible.

Don’t know what he put for values - I know the things we had to declare specifically For customs it was current value. But we took a risk and didn’t insure.

• 1 month later...

We shipped all of our belongings back in 2012 and had a 20ft container, was packed full to the brim, used John Mason's but no insurance.  Took a risk but everything was ok, if i remember,  only the odd glass broken, no major damage at all.  

Not sure this time if we will insure, it is risky not too but we have nice things and a couple of decent bikes etc.....so will start looking into it at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 10:20, Aussiebird said:

We shipped all of our belongings back in 2012 and had a 20ft container, was packed full to the brim, used John Mason's but no insurance.  Took a risk but everything was ok, if i remember,  only the odd glass broken, no major damage at all.  

Not sure this time if we will insure, it is risky not too but we have nice things and a couple of decent bikes etc.....so will start looking into it at some stage.

Did you have any lucky in finding alternative insurance?