moving on a temp visa. School Fee's/Property Fees

James Jobson

Hello!

Myself and partner are looking to apply for a temporary Visa (subclass 491) in a hope that after 3 years we could apply for PR. Before we go down the route of paying for skills assessments we are wanting to ensure that we can financially afford to move. 

Few questions, I know you can't claim for any support with childcare but what about government schools? How & when do you apply for these?What is the cost of state schools when you only have a temporary visa?

I've read you can still buy a property, is their additional fee's when buying on a temp visa?

Thank you in advance 🙂

Lauren

I looked on a website and for the 482 visa.  School fees are (but obviously may change) NSW $5,200 primary $6,200 HS, WA $4,000, SA $5,300 primary and $6,400 HS, Tasmania $7,500 and ACT seems to charge international fees for HS $12,500 years 7-10 and $13,900 for yrs 11 and 12.

You apply for a place at a public school when you arrive and are living in the catchment area - often you need a proof of living in the area if it's a really popular school. 

I

The OP said temporary when in fact the visa they are referring to is a provisional visa and the rules are different. Provisional visa holders pay what everyone else pays, temporary visa holders are subject to fees in some states. It’d be wise for the op to check up on the visa number for sure.

Oh its the the new 491 visa, Skilled Work Regional (Provisional)subclass 491 visa, and we are looking at QLD, Yeppoon near Rockhampton. Sorry didn't realise their was a difference between temp and provisional.

So as a provisional visa holder does that mean we maybe exempt from fee's? 

Sorry it's so hard to find information. I've emailed a few schools we would be interested in and they've said they are unsure of fee's and to refer to the department ... who I rang and was just on hold the whole time so hung up and it cost me £90! Yikkessss!