Toni2

hello there  as a family we went to oz two and half years ago.....fell in love. I'm a nurse with 12 years experience, came home and topped up my diploma to a degree. now finished. really want to give it a go on the 189. do I need to take an English test?

1 hour ago, Toni2 said:

hello there  as a family we went to oz two and half years ago.....fell in love. I'm a nurse with 12 years experience, came home and topped up my diploma to a degree. now finished. really want to give it a go on the 189. do I need to take an English test?

Yes, you will need to do an English test to claim the 20 points. You can either do ielts or pte. 

1 hour ago, Toni2 said:

Yes, if you are on overseas trained nurse, you gotta write IELTS/PTE not only for your PR process but in order to get registered with AHPRA as a RN.

Be aware when claiming points for experience it must be post-degree, so you can’t claim 12 years. I’m pretty sure you also need 3 years full time experience to pass the skills assessment. So unless you have that you may be waiting a while longer before you apply. You don’t say how old you are but 45 (I think) is the cut off which may throw another spanner in the works. 

In addition to the skills assessment you need to register with APHRA. When registration is provisionally approved you need to present in person within 3 months to fully register. Bear this in mind as timing is of the essence, and visas regularly take months/years to process depending on which one you go for.

Just incase you aren’t aware: The minimum specified points for the independent skilled visas don’t mean you are guaranteed a visa. It’s a competition really, the people with the most points get chosen first regardless of when you entered the queue or how long you have been waiting. In the meantime, as more people with higher points apply they get selected so you could be waiting forever and not get picked.

For this reason many people sit the English test to boost their points, but to get the full 20 is challenging even for English speakers. Being sponsored by a state will also add another 5 points so those visas may be worth a look too. 

In all likelihood, if you’ve only just topped up your diploma you may not get anything for experience which means you can’t pass the skills assessment or claim points for experience. 

Sorry if you knew all this, I don’t mean to be a killjoy but it’s things you need to be aware of before parting with any money- visas and the frills are expensive!  
Perhaps run your situation by a registered migration agent if you need assistance, it can be very complex. 

Good luck 

An English test is a good way to bump up points. And just to add that all your years experience as a registered nurse will count, Ahpra require a degree qualification, but the experience gained after your initial diploma nursing qualification still counts.

2 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Be aware when claiming points for experience it must be post-degree, so you can’t claim 12 years. I’m pretty sure you also need 3 years full time experience to pass the skills assessment. So unless you have that you may be waiting a while longer before you apply. You don’t say how old you are but 45 (I think) is the cut off which may throw another spanner in the works. 

In addition to the skills assessment you need to register with APHRA. When registration is provisionally approved you need to present in person within 3 months to fully register. Bear this in mind as timing is of the essence, and visas regularly take months/years to process depending on which one you go for.

Just incase you aren’t aware: The minimum specified points for the independent skilled visas don’t mean you are guaranteed a visa. It’s a competition really, the people with the most points get chosen first regardless of when you entered the queue or how long you have been waiting. In the meantime, as more people with higher points apply they get selected so you could be waiting forever and not get picked.

For this reason many people sit the English test to boost their points, but to get the full 20 is challenging even for English speakers. Being sponsored by a state will also add another 5 points so those visas may be worth a look too. 

In all likelihood, if you’ve only just topped up your diploma you may not get anything for experience which means you can’t pass the skills assessment or claim points for experience. 

Sorry if you knew all this, I don’t mean to be a killjoy but it’s things you need to be aware of before parting with any money- visas and the frills are expensive!  
Perhaps run your situation by a registered migration agent if you need assistance, it can be very complex. 

Good luck 

Not true the experience has to be post degree. Anmac counted my experience from the day I became registered in my home country. And I was finishing my degree after that. 

3 hours ago, Martina said:

Not true the experience has to be post degree. Anmac counted my experience from the day I became registered in my home country. And I was finishing my degree after that. 

Anmac may accept that experience, but immigration will not. It can not be used for points. 

This is important for the OP as the minimum needed for an invite at the moment is 85.