Teacher visa after a break from the profession?

Gemitch16

Hi all,

I am new to the group. Looking at skilled visa options to emigrate to Australia and have the support of an agency. However, I have been working PT as a teacher for several years and am now moving towards a research field at a local university. Can anyone advise the strength of a visa application for a primary teacher who has been working PT or had a career break? My points score is good, I also have a masters in education. Husband is an engineering operations manager in a power station, earns a very good salary but does not have an engineering degree; worked his way up to position with experience and other qualifications relevant to post. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

6 hours ago, Alltogethernow said:

I presume you are looking at State Sponsorship (Victoria) if applying under Primary Teacher?

How many years' experience have you? 

ATN

And what second language do you teach? Do you have a 4 year degree?  Lots of hoops for teachers to leap through

I have 12 years classroom teaching experience, including being a member of SLT. I also worked for my local consortium as an advisory teacher of P.E. and Physical Literacy for 18mo. Set up a community interest company doing much the same and working for university on education programmes inbetween as well as a bit of supply! 

On 27/08/2019 at 22:48, wrussell said:

and some of them are flaming hoops.

Hi @wrussell

What chances do you think my wife, a secondary school teacher with 75 points has?  

I will be completing a skill assessment to boost the score until November when we should be eligible for the extra 10 points in the partner points section. 

Many thanks

Eddie

@wrussell

Thanks for your reply. 

No, I have not taken any advice on alternative visas as yet, are there any that you would recommend?

I have looked at student visas for funded PhD opportunities but conscious these are temporary and it’s a lot to put the family through for a risk of needing to return!

I've paid £85 to an agency to send all our docs and information to be assessed (after two years of attempting to figure out the process myself and failing!). They have advised there is a 419 visa coming out in November and to wait to see what the application status of that will be before putting anything forward.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly received.

29 minutes ago, Gemitch16 said:

I have looked at student visas for funded PhD opportunities but conscious these are temporary and it’s a lot to put the family through for a risk of needing to return!

I've paid £85 to an agency to send all our docs and information to be assessed (after two years of attempting to figure out the process myself and failing!). They have advised there is a 419 visa coming out in November and to wait to see what the application status of that will be before putting anything forward.

I'd be cautious of any agency that's charging money to "assess documents".   A reputable agent (like Westly Russell) will give you an initial consultation free of charge.  If you then decide you wish to proceed, the visa process is now so complicated, you'd be wise to hire an agent to do it for you.  

You were wise not to go for the PhD opportunity because there would be a very high risk of having to return at the end, and life as an international student is very hard.  

The agency is correct to say that some visas are changing in November so you'll need to wait and see what happens.   If they are saying the 419 is your only option, be aware that is also a temporary visa, although it has an established pathway to permanency eventually.   But it does carry restrictions - in some states you'll be charged school fees for the children, your spouse may have difficulty getting work because it's a temporary visa, and you'll pay tens of thousands of dollars in extra fees and duty if you want to buy a home.

Thank you @Marisawright

I actually wish I hadn’t paid but the deed has now been done. 🤪

I made a mistake with visa number, the new visa is a 491, there is very little information about what this visa will entail at present. However, the information you have provided around temp visas is completely new to me and I very much appreciate being party to this information!

My husband is an operations engineer within a gas turbine power station. He has transferable health and safety skills and certificates within the field of engineering but I can see that employing a temporary resident could be an issue.

Thanks again, Gemma.

9 minutes ago, Gemitch16 said:

I made a mistake with visa number, the new visa is a 491, there is very little information about what this visa will entail at present. However, the information you have provided around temp visas is completely new to me and I very much appreciate being party to this information!

My husband is an operations engineer within a gas turbine power station. He has transferable health and safety skills and certificates within the field of engineering but I can see that employing a temporary resident could be an issue.

I am not up to speed with the new visa numbers but I knew what you meant - it's replacing the 489 visa.   The main thing about the 489 or 491 visas are that you have to work in a regional area for a set number of years.  After you've served that time, you are entitled to apply for permanent residency.   

The definition of "regional" varies from state to state.  In some states it'll mean you'll be out in the country, too far from the major centres for your husband to commute.  So that is one thing to check.