Scratching your homesickness itch

bug family

1 hour ago, bug family said:

Good Analogy Marisa, But....there is always a but lol.....for some going back is the fix they need, confirming that in doing so it reminds them that the life they have now, may not be the one they want forever, then that also points to a problem that they have with where they are currently in their life, which in turn helps them make a change

That's what I mean.  I'm not talking about one visit to clarify your decisions about whether to stay or go. That's a sensible thing to do. I'm talking about people who make frequent visits back.

The problem is that every time you go back,  you're reminded of the life you lost.  What good does that do?  Reminding yourself of what you can't have - that will only make you more miserable.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2019 at 21:44, BacktoDemocracy said:

I would just say, talk to people who are here in the UK, getting old here  is no picnic, govts everywhere are making cuts and the cuts are affecting the old and incapacitated very badly, especially for those with limited resources and few family.

The Nhs is underfunded and from referral to action is supposedly 36 weeks, in reality it is more likely 40 weeks plus,  and to get to see a GP is a three week wait now at my surgery.

You're right BTD. Getting old anywhere is going to have it's problems. My parents died within a couple of years of each other. Both 93 when they died so a good innings. Luckily for me my Sister and family, nieces, nephews got them to move to where they lived in Melton Mowbray from Derbyshire so they could take care of them better. They didn't have cancer luckily but had both been on pretty serious medication for years. My Mum had a mental health issue and it was no fun getting any action on that for years. That was back in the 70's.

My wife works in oncology here and I think the diagnosis and treatment here would stack up against anywhere. Only this weekend I read that the survival and successfull treatment of cancer here is the best in the world. Put down mostly to early diagnosis.

You can be very unlucky and get a wierd cancer that has treatment that's not on the PBS and it does cost a fortune. Unusual though. On the flipside I've had my wife relate cases where people have emigrated here, got cancer, had brilliant treatment and it's not cost them hardly anything. In fact people who have really good health cover seem to get whacked with quite large out of pocket expenses whilst others with the same condition and no medical insurance get the same treatment all free.

There are always going to be issues with either system, here and the UK as we get older. You just have to try and stay as fit and healthy as you can for as long as you can. For us just having better and warmer weather where we still get out and exercise a lot helps. We are both in our 60's and hope to carry on healthy for a few years yet.

• Like 2

On 17/08/2019 at 14:32, bug family said:

Funny I am exactly the same (are you in Perth just curious), Probably going to get a bit of stick for this but, I only follow British news and politics and have never been able to find an interest in the Australian equivalents, even the adverts for Australian current affairs and news channels (which get more and more Americanised every day) leave me yawning, they are made out to sound like they have something really important to tell you, but when you get down to it they are extremely dull  (sorry just my opinion)..... I am going home for the first time in 8 years! (did I tell you 😂)  this December  (on my own) I am really looking forward to it, hopefully, next time I go I can afford to take my children and wife  😀

Lets hope they have Brexit sorted by then or you'll be sick of hearing about it after a couple of days. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The problem is that every time you go back,  you're reminded of the life you lost.  What good does that do?  Reminding yourself of what you can't have - that will only make you more miserable.

Sorry Marisa, what I mean is, if going back confirms for you that this is not the place for you ( as in Australia) then you can hopefully work a solution that takes you back home permanently, therefore going home can have some positive benefit other than just going home because you miss the place .....interestingly some call it going on holiday...some call it going home, how you feel about where you are may depend on which one you use.

I do not see it as a 'Life I lost', as I always intended to go home one day, it is more a break from my old life so to speak....

• Like 1

On 10/09/2019 at 16:11, bug family said:

Interesting...can you give approximate examples of how much for each on average, as I have been away for some 8 years I expected there to be an increase, but in general as I remembered the UK always was cheaper, apart from the fuel I think, but even that is expensive here in Australia now

If you've been here for 8 years you are probably comparing 8 year old UK prices to current Aussie.

We've recently been back on holiday and on a nice day me and the wife decided to walk up to a pub a fair way away and my wife asked if I had money I said yes. We were only going for drinks and I had a tenner in my pocket. I ordered a pint of some designer stout and my wife a big glass of wine. The barmaid told us the price and I then had to admit I only had a tenner. My wife, embarrased, walked off and we ended up with a local pint and a small wine. Sat outside where I said to the wife I could remember going out for the whole night with a tenner.

She pointed out that was about 1969 when beer was one shilling and eleven pence a pint.😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bug family said:

In what way Paul?....you obviously love it here, good for you, but others do not and going home is the fix they need, and sometimes its for good 🙂

its nice, but it gets a bit boring after the umpteenth time, same as the beaches been on one been on them all lol 😂

Lucky you 😜

I think the post I was replying to said that their visits might be counter productive. I was agreeing because they are expensive, they use up your holidays, you don't have time off or the extra money to have a good holiday in Aus. We sometimes just take time off and have a holiday where we live. Beach is just down the road, friends, pub, surf ski, paddle board. We do more than if we went away and get to sleep in our own bed. 

Makes you appreciate what's on your doorstep and is one of the reasons we don't feel homesick.

4 hours ago, bug family said:

In what way Paul?....you obviously love it here, good for you, but others do not and going home is the fix they need, and sometimes its for good 🙂

its nice, but it gets a bit boring after the umpteenth time, same as the beaches been on one been on them all lol 😂

Lucky you 😜

As for going down South. We've been here 28 years and maybe been down 30 times. We haven't scratched the surface on the places we've not been. Last few years we've been to Augusta where I and some friends compete in the biggest adventure race in the world, there's Margaret River and Yallingup with over a hundred wineries, breweries on caves road.

Whether you would call that umpteen visits I don't know? Certainly not bored with it and often say we should go more and see different places.

I went for a round of golf yesterday at El Cabello. Long way to go but brilliant course and the wildlife, parrots etc. are so different than local courses. There were only about 10 people on the course too. 

So much to see and do.

1 hour ago, bug family said:

Sorry Marisa, what I mean is, if going back confirms for you that this is not the place for you ( as in Australia) then you can hopefully work a solution that takes you back home permanently,

Yes, but I was replying to someone who was making "frequent visits back home".  Different thing.  I just wanted to make sure you got that difference. 

I hope you do find a solution.

14 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

As for going down South. We've been here 28 years and maybe been down 30 times. We haven't scratched the surface on the places we've not been. Last few years we've been to Augusta where I and some friends compete in the biggest adventure race in the world, there's Margaret River and Yallingup with over a hundred wineries, breweries on caves road.

Whether you would call that umpteen visits I don't know? Certainly not bored with it and often say we should go more and see different places.

I went for a round of golf yesterday at El Cabello. Long way to go but brilliant course and the wildlife, parrots etc. are so different than local courses. There were only about 10 people on the course too. 

So much to see and do.

Is that the place that was once called El Caballo Blanco?  There used to be Andalusian horses there which put on displays.

On 17/09/2019 at 07:39, Toots said:

Is that the place that was once called El Caballo Blanco?  There used to be Andalusian horses there which put on displays.

That's the place Toots. Looking run down now. Golf course is good though. Nothing to do with the run down hotel luckily.

Don't think I'll be going again though, way too far to play golf when we have several nice courses way closer.

• Like 1