Applying for a British passport for a child born in Oz

Danny842003

Priority should be an Australian passport.  As an Australian citizen they must use an Australian passport to travel in and out of Australia and can use it to travel to the UK (or anywhere else tbh).

I keep both passports up to date but don’t really use the UK one much as it would mean carrying two passports.

The child if born here can only travel in and out of Australia on a Aussie passport .T he child will not have a visa number to put in a British one as they are not a resident . So maybe concentrate on Aussie one first .Plus you will need to get an Australian citizenship certificate as well before getting a passport even though they are born here .

I have just completed the process for both Australian and UK passport for a child. 

The UK one was very straight forward and all completed online, you can take your own photograph and upload which was very helpful when trying to take a photo of a baby!  The only part which maybe tricky is finding a person in the UK to verify your ID as they need to be one of the occupations on the list eg teacher, doctor. The whole process only took about 3 weeks. 

Australian one is a bit more tricky as you need to request the citizenship certificate first before applying for the passport. On the website it says it can take up to 60 days for the application to be processed for the citizenship certificate but mine arrived within 2 weeks. Australian passport photos have stricter rules, and I had the photo taken professionally to ensure it was correct. The post office will check through the application and photos before sending off to check that it is all correct. Again once application sent off, the passport arrived within 2-3 weeks.  

Edited by kmrg
spelling
  • Like 1