189 Visa - Parents

Hi guys,

I am thinking to apply for 189 visa but I also want my parents to migrate with me. So how could that be achieved? Do I need to get the citizenship status first before making application for my parents to join me? Is there anything I can do before I get the citizenship status? Also, I would like to know if it is easy for my parents, who are my dependants, to migrate to Australia after I get the citizenship status.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

If you aren't prepared to migrate without your parents, do not migrate, because the chances of them joining you are slim.

It is already very difficult for parents to migrate. If your parents want to migrate without paying high fees, they will have a waiting time of about 30 years.     If they (or you) can afford to pay tens of thousands of dollars, they can apply for a faster visa, where the waiting time is only about 8 years.   But of course, they can't apply until you are a citizen, which will take you at least four years. 

So, if you migrate in a year's time, your parents won't be able to join you for at least 12 years.  And that assumes the rules stay the same all that time, which is very very unlikely.  The government has been making it steadily harder for parents and adult children to migrate in recent years, and most people expect that to get worse.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paulhand said:

You do not need to be a citizen to sponsor a parent for a permanent visa, you need to be at least a "settled" permanent resident. 

The OP says their parents are dependent on them. Can parents be included as dependents on a 189? Thought years ago on my independent skilled they could but I might be making that up! 

8 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Further to Paul's post above, normally, you need to be resident in Australia for two years to show settled status. 

Fees, are about $125,000 for two adults. Be aware that processing times are likely to be between 5 and 8 years. 

You're right, my mistake. But as you say, that just means 2 years wait instead of 4 before he can apply.   

To give an idea of how long they'll have to wait after that:

Currently, people who applied in early 2015 have reached the head of the queue and are now being processed.   There are still over 40,000 applications waiting in the queue.  They only grant around 6,000 parent visas each year, so it will take seven years just for those applicants to be processed.  Meanwhile, thousands of new applications are being added to the queue every year. By the time the OP's parents apply, who knows what the waiting time might be?    

That's assuming parent visas are still available by that time. That's why I said, he shouldn't make the decision to migrate assuming he'll be able to bring the parents eventually.  It might turn out to be impossible, as it is in some other countries. 

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

The OP says their parents are dependent on them. Can parents be included as dependents on a 189? Thought years ago on my independent skilled they could but I might be making that up! 

Definitely worth investigating, but if the OP is in the UK, I'd say it could be hard to prove dependency, if the parents have access to the aged pension, benefits, council housing etc.

10 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Years ago they could in certain circumstances, but even then with the welfare state in the UK it was virtually impossible - it was more for counties without a welfare safety net.

Nowadays the rues have changed and parents cannot be counted as dependents on a 189.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2019 at 04:55, Amber Snowball said:

This was possible in the past if there was only one parent.

A change to the definition of "member of family unit" a while back, means this is no longer possible.

• Like 1