HECS debt-owing money

maxtree

Good day all. So I wish to move back to Australia with my wife (I'm the Australian citizen), and I know there is a question about owing money to the Australian government. Does anyone know if this applies to HECS or SFSS (student financial loans). I have HECS debt/SFSS debt and currently don't earn enough to meet the minimum threshold to start payments. I have no issue starting a payment plan, and once I get back home, and find work,as long as I earn more than the threshold I will be required to start paying back. Has anyone gone through this? Does the debt to the Australian government only apply to tax debt?

Thanks in advance.

46 minutes ago, maxtree said:

I have HECS debt/SFSS debt and currently don't earn enough to meet the minimum threshold to start payments.

Did you know that the government has just lowered the HECS repayment threshold again?  Now $45,881 (gross).

• Like 1

I’ve just started working a part time job just a few days a week and well Under the threshold and had a quite a chunk of hecs taken out of my first salary, I’m thinking as it was close to the end of the financial year they had assumed my wage annually was higher than it really is....

1 hour ago, Phoenix16 said:

I’ve just started working a part time job just a few days a week and well Under the threshold and had a quite a chunk of hecs taken out of my first salary, I’m thinking as it was close to the end of the financial year they had assumed my wage annually was higher than it really is....

They may sort it out when you do your tax return.

3 hours ago, Phoenix16 said:

Off topic, but great you’ve got a role! What are you doing?

8 hours ago, maxtree said:

Good day all. So I wish to move back to Australia with my wife (I'm the Australian citizen), and I know there is a question about owing money to the Australian government. Does anyone know if this applies to HECS or SFSS (student financial loans). I have HECS debt/SFSS debt and currently don't earn enough to meet the minimum threshold to start payments. I have no issue starting a payment plan, and once I get back home, and find work,as long as I earn more than the threshold I will be required to start paying back. Has anyone gone through this? Does the debt to the Australian government only apply to tax debt?

Thanks in advance.

Why do you say you have no problem starting a payment plan? Surely if you don’t earn above the threshold you don’t need to start a payment plan..... unless you mean you should have been paying it back and haven’t been?

2 hours ago, maxtree said:

Meaning once I get back to Australia and earn enough I'll start a payment plan. Maybe not the clearest thing I have ever written!

I don't understand why you need a payment plan? They just take it out of your tax?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maxtree said:

Meaning once I get back to Australia and earn enough I'll start a payment plan. Maybe not the clearest thing I have ever written!

It’s taken at source, no one starts up a payment plan and it’s strange you don't know that  I can’t see what the issue is if you've never earnt enough to start paying h. Just include it in the application and I’m sure all will be fine. If you have earnt enough and chosen not to pay it then things may not be fine