Firstly hello Forum, this is my first post and thanks in advance for any replies that are given, no doubt you're answering the same questions over and over.
I wont go on forever, I'll keep it short and sweet.

Just got back from Brisbane and Melbourne on a scouting trip to see if me and my family like Australia, we do and would idealy like to move to Brisbane, but we're prepared to move anywhere initially.

I went for a job interview whilst in Brisbane, got the job on the basis i get to Australia lol, the business owner will sponsor me but ideally I'd prefer to just come on and be free to choose myself, wht are peoples thoughts on that?
I've passed the points test, my job title is either construction project manager or fitter, the whole thing is way over my head hence why im looking for suggestions on a register agent, I will answer any questions, be gentle!!

thanks james

Talk to one of those three agents and you'll be fine.

One basic point to note:   there are two broad types of visa. 

One is the PR visa, which gives you the right to migrate to Australia and stay permanently.  You don't need an employer to sponsor you.  That's the best one, especially with a family - BUT it takes about a year to come through.  Not many employers will wait that long for you  - they may make promises, but if a local candidate pops up in the meantime, you lose out.  There are no desperate shortages in any occupation in Australia these days, so it's quite likely another applicant will turn up within the twelve months.

The other option is a temp visa, sponsored by an employer.  They can come through very quickly, but they only get you 2 to 4 years in Australia AND you are tied to the job. If you lose the job, you all have to go home.   It's not a good visa for a family because it's so insecure and there's too much that can go wrong - maybe you hate the job, or the boss tries to screw you to the floor because he knows you're trapped in the job, or the business goes belly-up.  At the end of the 2/4 years, you can apply for a PR visa - but the rules are changing all the time, and a lot of people find they're not eligible by the time the contract is up (maybe the points threshold has gone up, or the occupation has been taken off the list).   So they still have to go home.

I believe it's possible to get the temp visa then, if you're currently eligible, apply for the PR visa immediately instead of waiting.  If that's true then it would be the best of both worlds, but check with Paul whether it's possible.  Of course the downside is that it means two sets of visa fees - but with a family, I wouldn't be risking the temp visa on its own.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Talk to one of those three agents and you'll be fine.

One basic point to note:   there are two broad types of visa. 

One is the PR visa, which gives you the right to migrate to Australia and stay permanently.  You don't need an employer to sponsor you.  That's the best one, especially with a family - BUT it takes about a year to come through.  Not many employers will wait that long for you  - they may make promises, but if a local candidate pops up in the meantime, you lose out.  There are no desperate shortages in any occupation in Australia these days, so it's quite likely another applicant will turn up within the twelve months.

The other option is a temp visa, sponsored by an employer.  They can come through very quickly, but they only get you 2 to 4 years in Australia AND you are tied to the job. If you lose the job, you all have to go home.   It's not a good visa for a family because it's so insecure and there's too much that can go wrong - maybe you hate the job, or the boss tries to screw you to the floor because he knows you're trapped in the job, or the business goes belly-up.  At the end of the 2/4 years, you can apply for a PR visa - but the rules are changing all the time, and a lot of people find they're not eligible by the time the contract is up (maybe the points threshold has gone up, or the occupation has been taken off the list).   So they still have to go home.

I believe it's possible to get the temp visa then, if you're currently eligible, apply for the PR visa immediately instead of waiting.  If that's true then it would be the best of both worlds, but check with Paul whether it's possible.  Of course the downside is that it means two sets of visa fees - but with a family, I wouldn't be risking the temp visa on its own.

Thanks for that detailed response Marisa, it’s really helpful on which way I’m going forward, the exact reason why I don’t want to come sponsored is that, so although I want to come fast, I want to come for life, so I’ll be taking longer to come without the risk of being kicked out lol

I’m a project manager in the storage/construction industry, It also includes fitting occasionally, fitting is  also on the list.

wife and youngest 10 is onboard, our 18 year old is about to go to university in London for 4 years, I want to put him down on the emigration papers in case his law degree is to hard for him (lol) and he decides later he wants to come.

i understand it’s tricky and am in it for the long haul and willing to do whatever is necessary.

On 03/07/2019 at 19:12, jamesharvey3 said:

I’m a project manager in the storage/construction industry, It also includes fitting occasionally, fitting is  also on the list.

wife and youngest 10 is onboard, our 18 year old is about to go to university in London for 4 years, I want to put him down on the emigration papers in case his law degree is to hard for him (lol) and he decides later he wants to come.

i understand it’s tricky and am in it for the long haul and willing to do whatever is necessary.

So Shop Fitting? Fitting will most likely be assed by VETASSESS. Will probably require an interview (via skype with someone in Australia) and they'll check your qualifications. Also will require an English test (IELTS) as you'll probably not have enough points. Have you checked to see how many you will get? Roughly? Not sure what the benchmark is at the moment. Probably 80!

Not sure on the rules of 18 y/o children. He would probably want to finish his degree before emigrating. By that time it'll be too late and he'll have to fend for himself applying. If you do get him on the VISA too he'll have to activate his VISA before the required date. That's a long way off anyways!