Newbie in need of some advice on Visas for Police Staff

HollyS

Hello all

please forgive me as I have only just registered and we have only just started discussing the possibility of migrating from the U.K. . 

I have been doing a bit of research and am quite disappointed to see that mine and my husbands occupations are not on the lists. He’s a Police Community Support Officer and I am Police Staff Admin. 

Can anyone give me any advice on which route we could potentially go down or is the dream over before it’s even got started?!

many thanks in advance 

holly 

1 hour ago, HollyS said:

Hello all

please forgive me as I have only just registered and we have only just started discussing the possibility of migrating from the U.K. . 

I have been doing a bit of research and am quite disappointed to see that mine and my husbands occupations are not on the lists. He’s a Police Community Support Officer and I am Police Staff Admin. 

Can anyone give me any advice on which route we could potentially go down or is the dream over before it’s even got started?!

many thanks in advance 

holly 

One of you would need a skill n the current lists in order to migrate. Police officers and support staff jobs are both popular with people already in Australia and so are not on the lists. Australia also has a lot less police support (formerly civiian) jobs than the UK, many roles are still done by sworn officers. 

Thank you for your comments 😊 I have a First Class Hons BA Degree but it’s in journalism film and broadcasting, journalist is in the short term list but I have no work experience in this field just my degree, so guess it’s worthless🤦‍♀️😬

19 minutes ago, HollyS said:

Thank you for your comments 😊 I have a First Class Hons BA Degree but it’s in journalism film and broadcasting, journalist is in the short term list but I have no work experience in this field just my degree, so guess it’s worthless🤦‍♀️😬

You need to check what experience is required. However even if you could get a visa, it would only be for 2 to 4 years and then you’d have to go home

1 hour ago, HollyS said:

Hello all

many thanks in advance 

holly 

I don't think this type of opportunity exists, but ya you have check thoroughly for that. 

I am afraid that the only option at the moment, would be for one of you to retrain. At the moment, your occupations are not required. Both are considered low skilled and Australia wants highly skilled. 

The risk with retraining though is that by the time you do it - several years. That occupation is no longer on the list as even highly skilled / high qualification occupations can and are removed regularly. Or, the rules change making you ineligible for some other reason. 

On 22/06/2019 at 10:56, HollyS said:

Hello all

many thanks in advance 

holly 

Hi Holly, 

Unfortunately Police is no longer on the occupations list. We are currently going through the visa process and my wife is a police officer. Fortunately I am an electrician so we are using me as the main applicant. 

It might be best you speaking with a visa agent to go through your best options.

I am using Concept Australia. They seem pretty good so far. 

GOOD LUCK !