Man On The Ground

Richard81

Hi all, 

I just wanted to gain some feedback for a new concept that we are looking at starting up next month. 

Me and my partner moved to Perth back in 2010. We have since been through the sponsorship programe through to PR and eventually Citizenship. We are now fully settled in Perth with one toddler and one on the way. 

We are looking at starting up a small business that will help people back in the UK make the move to Perth. 

It can be a stressful time making or even considering the move. We would look to offer several service levels covering a range of offers. Most will include such things as flight advice, location advice, initial location bookings, property reviews, airport pick up, and a tour of Perth and your new local suburb. We would also offer help with setting up accounts, visas, social clubs and schools to name a few. Costs will vary depending on the package you choose but will all be very reasonable. 

I would love to hear your thoughts especially from some of you guys back in the UK who are currently contemplating the move. Is this something you think would help you with your move/decision? 

Please leave your comments or send me a PM if you prefer. 

Many thanks. 

Hi Marisa, 

Thanks for the examples in the links. 

We are looking at doing something like this but not on the same scale. We would focus more on a friendly welcome arrival at the airport to help with initial accommodation. From there a tour of the City/sights etc and then help with settling in socially. 

I looked at doing this when we came in 2008 to include what you've said plus starter packs for bank accounts, medicare etc.

Didn't get going, a lot of people use a migration agent and this would be another expense after that.

Plus, maybe the ship has sailed, the numbers moving to Perth now are nothing like they were 10 or 12 years ago.

I think generally, things are even easier to do than they were 12 years ago when we came and places like this forum could offer free advice regarding e.g. flights/locations etc.,

I'm not sure that it is something that could take off substantially.  I would check too if you have to officially registered to be giving advice (which you are paid for) regarding banking, visa's etc., 

The problem with this market is that you are not going to get the corporate relocation work as that is done through larger relocation companies, and as noted above, those of us going it alone are generally going to value money over time in the first few weeks as they don't have a job.  Given time it is not that hard to go around yourself and check places out, sort out all the paperwork and so on.