Cost of living & best suburb

loura

Hi

We are a family of 5. 6y,4y, and 2 years old. my husband got a scholarship to study at the University of Sydney, and we will get $8000 AUS per month + schooling fee for him and the kids  + family insurance covered by the sponsor.

1- I am concerned about the cost of living, Will 8000 be ok to live in Sydney? 

2- I’d also like ideas on good areas to live that would be within a 30/40 minute commute of the Uni where there would be schools along with good family housing.

I have been searching for houses that close to uni but these houses are not suitable for us at all. We prefer a nature quieter area with good houses with a garden/ backyard. we used to live in Auckland,NZ and love it there, I could not find a suburb that is the same in Sydney.

I think $900 per week for rent is a max.

Appreciate any thoughts

Thanks

4 hours ago, loura said:

We are a family of 5. 6y,4y, and 2 years old. my husband got a scholarship to study at the University of Sydney, and we will get $8000 AUS per month + schooling fee for him and the kids  + family insurance covered by the sponsor.

2- I’d also like ideas on good areas to live that would be within a 30/40 minute commute of the Uni where there would be schools along with good family housing.

I have been searching for houses that close to uni but these houses are not suitable for us at all. We prefer a nature quieter area with good houses with a garden/ backyard. we used to live in Auckland,NZ and love it there, I could not find a suburb that is the same in Sydney.

I think $900 per week for rent is a max.

Which campus will he be working at?  The main campus is in the inner city but some departments are in other parts of Sydney some distance away, so it's worth checking - fingers crossed he'll be based somewhere else!

In general, the further South or West you go, the cheaper housing gets, so those are the directions to look at.   Homely.com.au is a good resource for reviews of suburbs. 

4 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Is the scholarship subject to tax? This will make a real difference.

Hi

No, we don't have to pay any tax as many of my husbands' colleagues in AUS and they don't.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Which campus will he be working at?  The main campus is in the inner city but some departments are in other parts of Sydney some distance away, so it's worth checking - fingers crossed he'll be based somewhere else!

In general, the further South or West you go, the cheaper housing gets, so those are the directions to look at.   Homely.com.au is a good resource for reviews of suburbs. 

Hi

It's on Darlington to be exact.

Thank you

Does the University have any student housing?  That might be an option.  Otherwise $94k ex tax is probably going to be quite comfortable in Sydney as the kids' school fees are being paid for you.  You will probably have to revise your expectations about the environment you want to live in though - nice quiet blocks within cooee of the centre of the city are not really common.

6 hours ago, loura said:

Hi

No, we don't have to pay any tax as many of my husbands' colleagues in AUS and they don't.

Thank you

That's near the city centre.  As Marisa suggests look at Homely.com.au for suitable housing further away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quoll said:

Does the University have any student housing?  That might be an option.  Otherwise $94k ex tax is probably going to be quite comfortable in Sydney as the kids' school fees are being paid for you.  You will probably have to revise your expectations about the environment you want to live in though - nice quiet blocks within cooee of the centre of the city are not really common.

I second that.  The income sounds reasonable.   However if you want a reasonable commute, you'll have to get used to the idea of a terrace house, not a detached one.

• Like 1

The income looks good, even better if you can also work on the visa, especially with no school fees to pay.  However you are going to have to compromise on commute v housing with that location.

Have you looked at rentals and found any? Do be aware that pictures are very deceiving, there is a reason they ask you to inspect in person.  Often pics can be decades old and do not show the wear and tear of tenants over the years.  Seriously I have gone to viewings and wondered if I was in the same house!

You can check commutes using google navigation, but remember to put commute times in, very different at different times of the day.  Check out public transport as well as driving as often quicker.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. 

I like Parramatta suburb it has great housing but after checking traffic on google map, it takes about 1 hour in the morning.

Most of my husband classes in the evening though.

the idea of a terrace house does not suit us at all, especially if you have kids.

2 hours ago, loura said:

Thanks for the tips. 

I like Parramatta suburb it has great housing but after checking traffic on google map, it takes about 1 hour in the morning.

Most of my husband classes in the evening though.

the idea of a terrace house does not suit us at all, especially if you have kids.

After my son, as a teen, got mugged in Westfield Paramatta food court for his Oakley sunnies, I must say that Paramatta wouldn't be on my list of desirable places to live. I don't think it's improved much in the intervening years either.

19 hours ago, loura said:

Thanks for the tips. 

I like Parramatta suburb it has great housing but after checking traffic on google map, it takes about 1 hour in the morning.....

I'm curious where you're seeing great housing in the Parramatta area.  

A large part of Sydney's population live around Parramatta, but it's because it's all they can afford, not because it's a nice place to live.    It's very built-up (not much green space), and it's on the plain so it gets stinking hot in summer (up to 5 degrees hotter than the coast) and it's not as if you can get to the beach easily to cool off.  Parts of Parramatta are nice but there are some pretty rough areas too.  

If your husband can tolerate an hour's commute then you'd be much more sensible to go south.  You could look at Peakhurst, parts of Riverwood (some bits are dodgy).  Oatley, Penshurst, Mortdale are all nice but may be too pricey. 

Edited by Marisawright

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm curious where you're seeing great housing in the Parramatta area.  

A large part of Sydney's population live around Parramatta, but it's because it's all they can afford, not because it's a nice place to live.    It's very built-up (not much green space), and it's on the plain so it gets stinking hot in summer (up to 5 degrees hotter than the coast) and it's not as if you can get to the beach easily to cool off.  Parts of Parramatta are nice but there are some pretty rough areas too.  

If your husband can tolerate an hour's commute then you'd be much more sensible to go south.  You could look at Peakhurst, parts of Riverwood (some bits are dodgy).  Oatley, Penshurst, Mortdale are all nice but may be too pricey. 

I checked on domain there are many new houses with a backyard. That's why I thought is a great suburb. Also the rent there is about $800 a week. 

I will definitely check the areas you mentioned. 

Thanks for your support.

6 hours ago, loura said:

sorry what do you mean

If you see an area where houses are cheap, there are two possible reasons.  One is that it's a long way from the city (housing generally gets cheaper the further you go from the city centre).  However, houses can also be cheap because they're in a neighbourhood where nobody wants to live - maybe it's got no public transport, or no shops nearby, or it's in a catchment area for a terrible school, or there are hoons or bikie gangs around, or whatever.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Places like Marrickville are very handy for Darlington - or anywhere in the inner west.

Or if you go out further south if you like more of an out door beach life, like Cronulla or the shire you can jump on a train that will go to Central Station. Darlington is not too far from there. Depends what you like. I know of people who live out lower than the Royal National Park and commute in from places like Thirroul.

• 3 weeks later...