checklist for moving back to uk

Dennyboy

On 23/11/2019 at 10:45, Red Rose said:

Hey Den, have you made the move yet? I’ve got my citizenship 6 months ago, nothing left for in Oz, I’m aiming to return to the UK by next March (for good), so I better start planning the return move. 

The very best of luck , it’s a bit of a pain but worth it . I’m just waiting on email regarding my tor form . 
The earlier you start the better 👍

1 hour ago, Dennyboy said:

Just heard from uk government, my tor application has been refused as I can’t provide proof of address I’m moving to . 
I’ve  paid two months rent , and this person still hasn’t provided me with any paperwork as proof 😡😡

You should never pay rent without a signed lease surely 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dennyboy said:

Just heard from uk government, my tor application has been refused as I can’t provide proof of address I’m moving to . 
I’ve  paid two months rent , and this person still hasn’t provided me with any paperwork as proof 😡😡

That’s very odd. When we moved back, we had no fixed address so used a relatives, we were not asked for any documents either.

No one moving back will have any evidence with an address on it, I would ask again.

1 hour ago, Dennyboy said:

28DABEDD-5514-4925-A6EE-38099718321A.png

Hi Dennyboy, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. We just submitted a copy of our UK passports to “demonstrate our right” to move back and live there. No other documents were supplied or even requested. Your removal company should help you with this though,  they will across these types of scenarios all the time. Good luck.

1 minute ago, AliQ said:

Hi Dennyboy, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. We just submitted a copy of our UK passports to “demonstrate our right” to move back and live there. No other documents were supplied or even requested. Your removal company should help you with this though,  they will across these types of scenarios all the time. Good luck.

Thanks , will contact them  , also my Brothers having a word with the landlord . 👍

• 1 month later...

Hi, my husband and I intend to return to the UK this year after 13 years in Australia.  I've read these comments with interest as we too wondered what we needed to do to "prove" we were moving back for good.  We are retired and receive our reduced British pension here but always claim the full amount when we go back for a holiday.   How do we show that we are back for good?  We will stay with our daughter for a couple of months.  Can she simply sign something to say that's our home?  Will we be able to register with a GP if we are living with her?  We will be taking furniture back but will need it to go into storage rather than into our daughter's home.  Will this cause a problem with a TOR?  Very grateful for any advice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Hi, my husband and I intend to return to the UK this year after 13 years in Australia.  I've read these comments with interest as we too wondered what we needed to do to "prove" we were moving back for good.  We are retired and receive our reduced British pension here but always claim the full amount when we go back for a holiday.   How do we show that we are back for good?  We will stay with our daughter for a couple of months.  Can she simply sign something to say that's our home?  Will we be able to register with a GP if we are living with her?  We will be taking furniture back but will need it to go into storage rather than into our daughter's home.  Will this cause a problem with a TOR?  Very grateful for any advice.

Hi , when we moved back last year, my husband (who receives a UK pension) was asked a few questions and that was it, he did not have to provide any evidence at that time. He did explain quite clearly though that we had shipped all our furniture over, and the cat !

But, we did have to send in a copy of our rental agreement at a later date to show we were actually living in the UK to be able to claim the winter fuel allowance.

Regarding a GP, we walked into a local practice and registered on the spot, easy.

And for the TOR, we used a relatives address, then updated it once we had secured a rental. Going directly into storage is not a problem.

Getting "set up" back in the UK was easy, but for us, it's not easy living here.

Good Luck with your move.

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  It all sounds encouraging.  We have loved our time in Oz, making loads of friends and it's really the pull of grandchildren dictating our move.  The U.K. will be a stopover with France being the final destination.  I reckon it's easier to move from the UK to France than Australia to France.  I think I would struggle to fit back into life in England!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Thanks for that.  It all sounds encouraging.  We have loved our time in Oz, making loads of friends and it's really the pull of grandchildren dictating our move.  The U.K. will be a stopover with France being the final destination.  I reckon it's easier to move from the UK to France than Australia to France.  I think I would struggle to fit back into life in England!

Funny you should say that ! 

We left Australia to go to France first, the idea is lovely but then reality set in once there. It did not work our for us. Hope you can speak french at a very decent level.

11 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Lots of people move because of the pull of grandchildren. Just be really sure you want to give up what seems a happy life. I say that as little grandchildren can’t get enough of their grandparents, big grandchildren are often very different.  You here often of people that have made that big move to be near grandchildren and some years later wonder why they bothered as the grandkids are now teenagers and beyond and hanging out with the grandparents isn’t high on their agenda. Lots of parents that have made the move to Oz say the same. 

• Like 4

I taught French for over 40 years so have no problem with the language, lived in France as a student and have lots of French friends.  I appreciate what Tulip1 says but we aren't intending to smother our grandchildren.  We simply want to be near enough to pop over for a few days several times a year.  At the moment we go back twice a year which is becoming increasingly expensive and increasingly hard on the body!  We also have to go for at least 3 weeks to justify the cost and distance travelled and that brings its own problems.

• Like 3

I'm not sure why Dennyboy had to 'prove' his address? I recently applied for our ToR All I did was put a relatives address (white lie as not actually staying there) sent packing list, copy of passport, my current lease from Australia and a simple Cover letter explaining moving back after being here since 93. Intended to look for work on arrival. 5 days later I got my number. Maybe I got lucky? or maybe not, who knows? But I can't say I have seen anyone else have an issue with having to prove/confirm UK address? Once I have a rental I'll be telling the shipping company and that will be that. 

Everything else is done once you get back. As British Citizens you can essentially just walk back in. 

• Like 3