checklist for moving back to uk

Dennyboy

After 18 years and a split with wife and my son passing away ive decided to move back to the uk .

Im not usre how to go about things , rang the british consulate in brisbane and they couldnt have cared less.

Does anyone have a checklist or procedure for moving back ?

Any help very much appreciated .

Den

2 hours ago, Dennyboy said:

After 18 years and a split with wife and my son passing away ive decided to move back to the uk .

Im not usre how to go about things , rang the british consulate in brisbane and they couldnt have cared less.

Den

Take your British passport and get on the plane. Its that simple. Don't need to tell anyone. If you are a British citizen you can go back whenever you like. 

Start job hunting.

Decide on what items you are shipping and arange shippers

If bringing any pets, arrange the paperwork / jabs

Arrange accommodation for arrival.

Sell what ever you aren't shipping / sell house, though the sale can actually be completed after the move.

Buy plane tickets 

Move. 

If you're like us. Pack backpack. Go.  

Probably more tricky than that for  most though. When I do it again it will be ruthlessly declutter, take career break (if working), rent out home, put things I might one day think I need in storage. Pack backpack. Go.  If it all works out then you can return to clear up the odds  and ends if  you need to. Meanwhile, start applying  for jobs you would kill to get.

I'm sorry to hear about the trajectory your life had taken off late but remember - the best is yet to come!

• Like 1

T

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Start job hunting.

Decide on what items you are shipping and arange shippers

If bringing any pets, arrange the paperwork / jabs

Arrange accommodation for arrival.

Sell what ever you aren't shipping / sell house, though the sale can actually be completed after the move.

Buy plane tickets 

Move. 

Thanks for this , very helpful , just rolled over my super into one account , will need some of this money to move .

You will need to complete a transfer of residence (TOR) form for HMRC to declare that you don’t need to pay VAT on any goods you are taking back. If you are moving an animal they need to be declared on it. If you are not taking anything other than a suitcase I don’t suppose you need to complete one.

• Like 1

You don't mention your age or financial position so makes it hard to answer. If age is a factor look at super and pension rights, if you have assets liquidated after the split how to move them without capital gains tax.

Ensure you have an Aussie bank account that you can access in UK, until you get a UK one. We have ING online it claims no ATM fees overseas, notify them you will be in UK to stop them thinking someone has unlawful access. They don't need to know you're moving back permanently

Driving license apply to DVLA if you plan to stay, they have been updated from the old paper version.

Register with a GP as soon as you arrive, you can move GP'S later on when you decide where you will settle. This will ensure you are back on the NHS roundabout.

Get yourself some credit based purchases 2 if possible, to assist with future mortgages etc you would have disappeared on credit score. Even if you can afford it put on UK credit and pay back on time. We bought a cheap car and 6 months later had proof we are creditworthy in the system when last back.

Look for work now if you need to, online job agencies can be accessed now just tell them when you're getting there.

NI number dig it up or use online search you will likely need it.

As others have said be ruthless with what your taking possession-wise, get several quotes for shipping and then ask for a better price. If shipping be sure to get TOR (customs exemption) clearance to avoid import duties you can do this online.

• Like 4

I have an Aussie bank account with ME who are fine that I live in the UK. Opened it before I left. I cancelled all of my insurances on my super to reduce deductions from it. You’ll need proof of a UK address to register with a GP, can you use family for this, they often want a utility bill which is a pain.

Halifax were very easy to deal with to open a UK bank account when I returned. 

You’ll need to get your animals ready for return. I’d recommend a shipper to get the paperwork ready for you. Depending on which state you are in would effect which company you might go with, different companies available and also the bigger companies seem to vary state to state. Dogs and cats need their rabies jab between 21 days and 12 months prior to travelling from memory, might be 30 days..🤔

• Like 1

You will need to check re the super. If you can take it before you go then do so as it will be tax free. If you have to wait (not sure if you can take it yet) HMRC will tax it.  Worth checking the detail as you could potentially save thousands. Same with transferring any cash. Don’t use a bank use a forex company.

As said keep your Aus bank account it will be useful and you can get on line access or phone access from UK. We kept our Westpac account for 9 years when we were back in UK with a UK address and they sent us new cards etc. 

Just a thought though, how long is it since you were back in blighty? Things will have changed in 18 years.  You could also find yourself financially worse off if relying on your UK  taxed Aus super.  I get that you feel a need to move on but do it knowing all the facts. Don’t let emotions rule everything, make sure you will be able to live well.  

• Like 1

Thanks amber , 

i have an account with commonwealth bank which I’m told I can access in the uk . 

I will check on the dog and cat , I will stop with my brother until I get a place of my own . 

I will look at shippers ( I’m on the Gold Coast ) . 

Thanks for your help 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

You will need to check re the super. If you can take it before you go then do so as it will be tax free. If you have to wait (not sure if you can take it yet) HMRC will tax it.  Worth checking the detail as you could potentially save thousands. Same with transferring any cash. Don’t use a bank use a forex company.

As said keep your Aus bank account it will be useful and you can get on line access or phone access from UK. We kept our Westpac account for 9 years when we were back in UK with a UK address and they sent us new cards etc. 

Just a thought though, how long is it since you were back in blighty? Things will have changed in 18 years.  You could also find yourself financially worse off if relying on your UK  taxed Aus super.  I get that you feel a need to move on but do it knowing all the facts. Don’t let emotions rule everything, make sure you will be able to live well.  

I went back in December for a holiday , it just reinforces my desire to go back . am working at present so I assume will have to give notice before I can access super . 

I can remember my ni number lol , will need to renew my driving licence , not sure how long I can drive on qld licence . 

I

I suggest you also look into your financial position before you make any decisions.

If you leave before you reach pensionable age, you will not be able to claim the Australian aged pension from the UK.   You'll be able to access your superannuation, of course, and you might get some British pension, but you won't get the Australian one. Consider how that will affect you.

You can pay some money into National Insurance to top up your British pension, so that might be worth doing and could help make it more feasible.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dennyboy said:

I went back in December for a holiday , it just reinforces my desire to go back . am working at present so I assume will have to give notice before I can access super . 

Yes you will have to give notice.  What's more, you will have to tell the superannuation company that you're retiring. That's not a problem, because you can "change your mind" after you've got the money and they won't chase you for it. 

Make sure you get the lump sum and put it in your bank account BEFORE  you leave Australia, otherwise you'll get done for UK tax.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

You will need to complete a transfer of residence (TOR) form for HMRC to declare that you don’t need to pay VAT on any goods you are taking back. If you are moving an animal they need to be declared on it. If you are not taking anything other than a suitcase I don’t suppose you need to complete one.

12 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes you will have to give notice.  What's more, you will have to tell the superannuation company that you're retiring. That's not a problem, because you can "change your mind" after you've got the money and they won't chase you for it. 

Make sure you get the lump sum and put it in your bank account BEFORE  you leave Australia, otherwise you'll get done for UK tax.

Thanks marisa, this is great info , will look into doing this ASAP 😊

10 hours ago, Dennyboy said:

Den

Sorry to hear about your recent experiences and situation, it must be really difficult. I just wondered if it was worth considering a long holiday/visit to the UK before packing everything up and moving? Test the water so to speak 

As others have mentioned pet transport is a tricky process and worth exploring as early as possible

All the best

• Like 1

If you have animals, then get this started early. There is no quarantine coming to the UK as long as you go through the process while in Oz, but I recommend getting them involved early. You should be aware it is t cheap. It depends on size. But as an example. In 2016, my chihuahua was $3000. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2019 at 09:31, Dennyboy said:

Den

Dennyboy,

I cannot help with the list I am afraid (as I am still in oz, but will leave one day..hopefully 🙄)

But I just wanted to say I am sorry to hear about your son passing away, as a dad myself that must be terribly hard for you,

I wish you all the luck in the world

Take care

Bugfamily

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 01/05/2019 at 11:31, Dennyboy said:

Den

Hey Den, have you made the move yet? I’ve got my citizenship 6 months ago, nothing left for in Oz, I’m aiming to return to the UK by next March (for good), so I better start planning the return move. 

• Congratulations 1

42 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

I’ve got my citizenship 6 months ago, nothing left for in Oz, I’m aiming to return to the UK by next March (for good), so I better start planning the return move. 

I had no idea, Red Rose.   Good luck with the move.  No idea what age you are, but are you across all the practical stuff like pensions, banks etc (most of which have been discussed in this thread, actually).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennyboy said:

Hi red rose . Boxes were picked up bt seven seas yesterday , just waiting on the tor form being cleared .

Hi Dennyboy, I’m sure you have done all those “change of address’s”, just a reminder, don’t forget to tell the Electoral Commission that you leaving, and if you have private heath insurance, you can suspend it for up to two years, which is a good thing to do just in case you did return (it does not cost anything to suspend)

Good luck and I wish you well with your move, it’s no mean feat organising a move across that distance !

• Like 1