Moving to the UK with a Dog

PaulVazz

Hey Guys,

I'm just starting the process of getting my dog over the UK. I know he needs to have his Rabies shot, but we went to fill in the TOR form and they are asking for a Pet Passport? Is this something in particular? Or is it just his shot details and vaccinations details etc?

Also can you fill in the form before he has the Rabies shot - they are asking for the details of that, so I'm assuming we need to get him sorted at the vet before completing the TIR from?

thanks for your help in advance.

Hi Paul, Sorry to hijack- I was also looking into this so following to get updates. 

Am I correct in saying that with a rabies shot and all paperwork the dog doesn't need to stay in Quarantine? 

Also, can you advise on what the rough costs of transporting your dog are? 

Hope you get all of your questions answered and your dog is good to go! 

17 minutes ago, Garym85 said:

Hi Paul, Sorry to hijack- I was also looking into this so following to get updates. 

Am I correct in saying that with a rabies shot and all paperwork the dog doesn't need to stay in Quarantine? 

Also, can you advise on what the rough costs of transporting your dog are? 

Hope you get all of your questions answered and your dog is good to go! 

Hey there,

Yep that's right, from the quotes I have so far, the dog leaves the day before you do and  you can get them the day after you arrive. So far I have quotes for around $4K to $5K for a Maltese X Shitzu - so not a big dog. It ain't cheap!

Edited by PaulVazz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulVazz said:

Hey Guys,

I'm just starting the process of getting my dog over the UK. I know he needs to have his Rabies shot, but we went to fill in the TOR form and they are asking for a Pet Passport? Is this something in particular? Or is it just his shot details and vaccinations details etc?

Also can you fill in the form before he has the Rabies shot - they are asking for the details of that, so I'm assuming we need to get him sorted at the vet before completing the TIR from?

thanks for your help in advance.

Are you using a pet shipper? 

Hi flew our dog from Thailand to Uk 7 years back then couldn't get her to oz due to stricter laws here as she had a tick disease when young and had antibodies. We were distraught but got lucky she now lives with my awesome aunt.

We will be flying another from Oz to Uk in the next year when we return.

From Oz biggest issue is the rabies jab must be done 30 days in advance. 

The best advice I can give is to get the crate your dog will be flying in ASAP, they need to be used to and comfortable with it. We are training ours now and won't be flying for at least 6 months.

Also, get an old t-shirt you have worn and place in the crate when they fly, ensure nails are cut short in case they catch one on the crate.

As for pet passport, it's a UK thing dog must be in Uk 6 months before you can get one, flying to Uk will just need the relevant jabs up to date and health check from the vet.

You can arrange this all yourself but much easier to use a professional who has done this countless times, they have connections and will/should keep you up to date. Our shipper will be texting us as our boy gets transferred plane to plane.

Be sure of which route you take, we are going Cathy pacific, Cairns - Hongkong then  Hongkong -  Heathrow saves our boy almost 13 extra hours of delays and extra travel.

At Heathrow end we found them to be excellent last time, took about an hour that's all but be aware you do not pick them up at the airport, but a building outside be sure to check opening hours to avoid any extra delay.

There is no quarantine required in Uk from Australia.

Edited by Gary H
extra info
  • Like 1

On 23/04/2019 at 04:44, PaulVazz said:

Hey there,

Yep that's right, from the quotes I have so far, the dog leaves the day before you do and  you can get them the day after you arrive. So far I have quotes for around $4K to $5K for a Maltese X Shitzu - so not a big dog. It ain't cheap!

Hi there, we paid just under $3k for our Bedlington Terrier, it was 2017 but I wouldn’t have thought it would increase that much. Perth to UK with Dogtainers. 

• 4 weeks later...

Last year when we flew our cat over, we used JetPets and it was totally stress free for BOTH of us.

It can turn into a complicated process if anything is missed, and involves a lot of work to ensure everything is 100% correct.

For us, it was well worth paying JetPets do do absolutely everything from start to finish, and we even had a door to door service which was invaluable as we had more than enough on our plate coordinating selling our house, packing and moving.