AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

8 hours ago, Rockshanks said:

Hi Sam_mel 

Thanks for your reply . Can I ask your friend that did he tecusved email for ceremony invitation or just letter in the mail . And I will definitely let you know once i recieve my invitation .

thanks

Your council is hume city council Melbourne  or. Hume greater council Nsw.

He is from melbourne.

Does anyone know the following:

We plan to apply for citizenship with a teenager (14yo) whos overseas passport is going to be expired a month prior to the application is going to be lodged.

Is a valid passport a requirement? We cannot currently replace the existing overseas passport as there is no Embassy nearby.

1 hour ago, Want2BeOZ said:

We plan to apply for citizenship with a teenager (14yo) whos overseas passport is going to be expired a month prior to the application is going to be lodged.

Is a valid passport a requirement? We cannot currently replace the existing overseas passport as there is no Embassy nearby.

It is required to valid passport at the time of application of citizenship. You have no choice but have to get it renewed as soon as possible.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Want2BeOZ said:

Just submit the application with the 'about to expire' passport. And if needed, the case officer will request an up to date/valid passport in due time.

But when you can, get on to it, think that eventually you will need one while you case is being processed, and because it is a form of identification it MUST be valid. 

So upload the passport while still valid and then upload a new one. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Want2BeOZ said:

My friend applied for citizenship in 2019 and his passport expired in 2011.

He never renewed his international passport while his citizenship application was in progress.

He faced no issues and he became Australian in Oct 2019.

I have no idea how some people are saying you have to have a current passport! Is this stated in DoHA website? I highly doubt it is as it directly contradicts my friend's experience.

Edited by Milano
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milano said:

My friend applied for citizenship in 2019 and his passport expired in 2011.

He never renewed his international passport while his citizenship application was in progress.

He faced no issues and he became Australian in Oct 2019.

I have no idea how some people are saying you have to have a current passport! Is this stated in DoHA website? I highly doubt it is as it directly contradicts my friend's experience.

Look it up and you will see. If they are asking for documents, obviously they want it to be valid. Your friend is just one case of how many? At the end of the day, the person will do what suits him best.  

Fyi https://www.passports.gov.au/passports-explained/how-apply/eligibility-citizenship-and-identity/documents-confirm-your-australian use it as a reference for all dependencies and applications.

Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nora said:

Look it up and you will see. If they are asking for documents, obviously they want it to be valid. Your friend is just one case of how many? At the end of the day, the person will do what suits him best.  

Fyi https://www.passports.gov.au/passports-explained/how-apply/eligibility-citizenship-and-identity/documents-confirm-your-australian use it as a reference for all dependencies and applications.

Better safe than sorry.

The link you posted is for passport applications, not citizenship applications. These are completely two different things that are managed by two different departments. 

Anyways, @Want2BeOZ it is best not to take advice from people (including myself) on the Internet. Give DoHA a call to get a definite answer. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Want2BeOZ said:

A valid passport is not required, when I did our application my UK passport had expired... we did it via paper then linked it to the immi website, before your told paper ones take longer .... well, ours took 13 months from submission to ceremony ... some "online" took 19 months. 

you lot worry to much, chill collect the info, make sure it matches what is wanted and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Chris 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nora said:

Better safe than sorry.

you need to stop  with the false  information being given on here.  as I said to the other poster, expired passports are ok. there is plenty of id they can have. a s a 14 year old, they would be attached to a parents application so, they could use a Birth Certificate, Medicare card, school enrollment etc.... what has applying for a Aus passport got to do with an overseas passport for a citizenship application.

Edited by Chris N Lora
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chris N Lora said:

you need to stop  with the false  information being given on here.  as I said to the other poster, expired passports are ok. there is plenty of id they can have. a s a 14 year old, they would be attached to a parents application so, they could use a Birth Certificate, Medicare card, school enrollment etc.... what has applying for a Aus passport got to do with an overseas passport for a citizenship application.

As mentioned, it is used as a reference for all dependencies. I was required to submit valid passport for my child, so there you go. We all go through different experiences. And as mentioned, the person will do whatever suits him/her best. This is a forum to dialogue and share experiences, otherwise just have it shut down and go and call DHA for everything. Jesus! Don't need to throw all your attitude at me. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Milano said:

The link you posted is for passport applications, not citizenship applications. These are completely two different things that are managed by two different departments. 

Anyways, @Want2BeOZ it is best not to take advice from people (including myself) on the Internet. Give DoHA a call to get a definite answer. 

It was just a reference for you guys to see that for some processes they require the passport to be valid for another 6 months when submitting an aplication or travelling. 

But the best advice you have given is to take advice from the experts and calling DHA. 

Peace 

• Like 1

Hey everyone 

i was going to submit my application by end of this month soon as becoming eligible but unfortunately i lost my license because drink and driving for low range 0.05 which is not going to court but only vic roads handling and i am facing three months cancellation so it has been really stressful for me since that happened and very regretful thing i have done in my life but apart from this never been charged or got no criminal record or anything now i been thinking about waiting for few months to apply till i get my license back! I had few sleepless nights and so much stress due to what i have done and im so regretful of it. so any recommendations would be helpful if someone or someone’s family or friend had a similar situation or any info would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Nora said:

As mentioned, it is used as a reference for all dependencies. I was required to submit valid passport for my child, so there you go. We all go through different experiences. And as mentioned, the person will do whatever suits him/her best. This is a forum to dialogue and share experiences, otherwise just have it shut down and go and call DHA for everything. Jesus! Don't need to throw all your attitude at me. 

well, I had expired passports, and was not required, further more I got new UK passports after I lodged the application and didn't advise immigration no issues. every application is individual, thus, blanket advice cant be given. only an opinion. 

14 minutes ago, Cook May2017 said:

Hey everyone 

i was going to submit my application by end of this month soon as becoming eligible but unfortunately i lost my license because drink and driving for low range 0.05 which is not going to court but only vic roads handling and i am facing three months cancellation so it has been really stressful for me since that happened and very regretful thing i have done in my life but apart from this never been charged or got no criminal record or anything now i been thinking about waiting for few months to apply till i get my license back! I had few sleepless nights and so much stress due to what i have done and im so regretful of it. so any recommendations would be helpful if someone or someone’s family or friend had a similar situation or any info would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Firstly,  if it ha not gone to court, it could well be your eligible. ... Can I suggest you call the DHA and ask a general question .. I do not think DD will prevent you from getting citizenship, however never any excuse to be drink driving regardless of the limit, you have been punished by loss of licence should not stop an application... 

3 minutes ago, Chris N Lora said:

well, I had expired passports, and was not required, further more I got new UK passports after I lodged the application and didn't advise immigration no issues. every application is individual, thus, blanket advice cant be given. only an opinion. 

@Chris N Lora Isn't everything in this forum and any other page here, general opinion and personal / individual advise?

I don't think anyone claims to be an agent (besides the ones that are). The rest of us are all just trying to help each other, with personal experiences and thoughts. 

Honestly, if someone doesn't double check advise provided on a forum, with a registered agent / place of authority, then that in itself is a concern 🙂 

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Me and my family will be getting eligible soon for to apply citizenship and have few questions as following

We are family of four  (Me My wife and two kids) out of which one kid is now 18 and other one below 12

Will my elder kid be filing application separately in separate new immi account
Same question as above for my wife and younger kid or can I start all applications under single immi account

As still there is sometime for being eligible but can I start the application for me and my family or do I have to start only after the date of being eligible.

Also anything which I have to keep in mind... 

I submitted my TR and PR on my own so pretty familiar with process but asking experts is always good idea

Will appreciate your response

3 hours ago, Hex said:

@Chris N Lora Isn't everything in this forum and any other page here, general opinion and personal / individual advise?

I don't think anyone claims to be an agent (besides the ones that are). The rest of us are all just trying to help each other, with personal experiences and thoughts. 

Honestly, if someone doesn't double check advise provided on a forum, with a registered agent / place of authority, then that in itself is a concern 🙂 

of course they are all opinions, but you cant give false info, ie need 6 months on a passport or a valid one etc, I am speaking from my personal, we had no valid passport and was no issue what so ever. 

1 hour ago, Chris N Lora said:

of course they are all opinions, but you cant give false info, ie need 6 months on a passport or a valid one etc, I am speaking from my personal, we had no valid passport and was no issue what so ever. 

Well like you, you cannot say that you don't need it, because in my personal experience that is false; as I did need one valid bc case officer requested one for my child (5yold). If the case officer asks for one...oh well. If he doesn't ask for one, good on ya! 

Next

I'm due to lodge my citizenship application in mid-May. There's an internal job opportunity coming up in work, which would require a move to our US office for at least a year. I wouldn't move until the application was lodged, and would fly back easily for the interview/test, plus a ceremony down the track. 

I know that it's asked that you list your overseas dates when you apply, but my understanding is that this is to facilitate the appointments, rather than needing to be in the country - or am I incorrect in the advice given so far? Works immigration lawyer tends to say whatever suits work! It's a dream job, but at the same time, I don't want to do anything to risk the application.

Hi guys .... my first time here.

Does anyone know who is responsible for analyzing the citizenship application? Is the local council (Sunshine Coast in my case) or the department of immigration?

I have applied for citizenship in April 2019 and haven't received anything from them yet.

A friend of mine applied in September and everything happened so fast to him that his ceremony is on Friday 14/03.

I have applied with my wife and we selected the option to have our ceremony together, so I don't know if this could be the reason why is taking so long.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, GUS said:

Hi guys .... my first time here.

Does anyone know who is responsible for analyzing the citizenship application? Is the local council (Sunshine Coast in my case) or the department of immigration?

I have applied for citizenship in April 2019 and haven't received anything from them yet.

A friend of mine applied in September and everything happened so fast to him that his ceremony is on Friday 14/03.

I have applied with my wife and we selected the option to have our ceremony together, so I don't know if this could be the reason why is taking so long.

Thanks!

If you scroll a few pages back on this thread, you will notice that there are ways to find out what your application is doing. One option is filing FOI(Freedom of Information) which specifies where exactly application is(like which stage). Another option is contact a specific MP based in Canberra(from memory his name is Greg Hunt but not sure).

Based on 2019 processing times, 10 months for a non NSW applicant is definitely on the higher side of the average. If I were you, I'd probably go for the FOI and take it from there.

Did you go overseas after application? If yes, how many trips and how long? This has resulted in delays for some.

On 04/10/2019 at 08:15, Ruslan said:
  1. Date applied: 30/01/2019
  2. City/Council area: City of Melville, WA
  3. Online / Paper: Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 30/01/2019
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: 01/10/2019 (test appointment mail 23/05/2019). Passed
  6. Online Status - Approved on 02/10/2019
  7. Date of ceremony: Waiting for any official communication after test
  8. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal)

All good people who patiently waiting for their applications to be approved, I noticed that there is only 1 ceremony left scheduled for this year in my city council which is on 21st of November and I will be away on holidays. Interviewing officer in DIBP made a note when I will be away from country...Does it mean that I won't receive my formal approval and ceremony letter because my city council got nothing scheduled for this year?

Received an invite on 10/02 for 19th of March regular ceremony

• Congratulations 1