House or apartment in SA?

mukden

Hey guys, some friends told me that the houses in Adelaide, SA may face problems such as littles bugs, such as flea if you have carpet in your rooms. And it is better to live in an apartment to avoid these issues which is also safer.

Is that true?Is there any good solution for this?

cheers,

Edited by mukden

Never heard of this in my time in Adelaide. It's possible to get fleas even if you don't have a carpet. 

Are you sure they didn't mean termites? They are bugs that you need to be concerned about as they can eat away the timber structure of houses if they go unnoticed. 

• Like 1

Fleas live all over Australia - they are not confined to Adelaide - but they are most prolific  in summer and they like  humidity (ie places along the coast, rather than the dry inland where they tend to dry out).  They feed off animals so pet owners with dogs and cats have to give their animals special treatments  which prevent fleas from reproducing.

I cannot see that an apartment is better than any other living place.  If fleas are around their eggs can lay dormant for a long time.  You just need to vacuum regularly and thoroughly - including around the edges of furniture, rugs, floorboards etc.

21 minutes ago, Skani said:

I cannot see that an apartment is better than any other living place.  If fleas are around their eggs can lay dormant for a long time.  You just need to vacuum regularly and thoroughly - including around the edges of furniture, rugs, floorboards etc.

It's true that fleas live all over Australia, but I have never, ever had one in my apartment or my house and I have lived here for over 30 years. If you do not have pets you are not likely to have a problem with them.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

. If you do not have pets you are not likely to have a problem with them.

Yes, that's true.  But I have read that flea eggs can lie dormant  for a long time  so it's possible the OP could move into a rental with a pre existing problem - in which case vigorous vacuuming would be helpful.  But I doubt it's a problem they will encounter.  My only "Adelaide" problem when I lived there was the taste of water coming out of the tap.  😏

38 minutes ago, Skani said:

Yes, that's true.  But I have read that flea eggs can lie dormant  for a long time  so it's possible the OP could move into a rental with a pre existing problem - in which case vigorous vacuuming would be helpful.  But I doubt it's a problem they will encounter.  My only "Adelaide" problem when I lived there was the taste of water coming out of the tap.  😏

That's true, but I've been in Australia for over 30 years and moved at least a dozen times, and that has never happened to me.

In a nutshell, I'm pretty sure fleas are as common in Australia as they are in other parts of the world, no more no less.

Edited by Marisawright

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

In a nutshell, I'm pretty sure fleas are as common in Australia as they are in other parts of the world, no more no less.

I'm sure that's true.  I was surprised it was presented to the OP as a particular problem with Adelaide.

45 minutes ago, Skani said:

Tap water is much improved in Adelaide these days.  Not saying it's the best but it's certainly significantly better than it used to be.

Never had an issue with fleas here either, either in holiday rentals, rented house or anywhere else.  We have a dog and he doesn't have any issues with fleas either, although we do treat him monthly with stuff that deals with all sorts of things, including fleas.

5 hours ago, Skani said:

it that ok to drink directly?

1 hour ago, mukden said:

it that ok to drink directly?

Oh yes...no problem with safety, even in the  1970s.  It was just that it was piped from a long way away and it tasted "different" to those of us coming from other cities.  But with improved filtration systems there is probably no noticeable difference now.