Partner Visa - Use Agent?

Ing

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and thinking about submitting my husbands partner visa (I am an Australian Citizen).

I am just not sure whether to use an immigration solicitor here in the UK or to do it ourselves online.

Does any advice please? 

Thank you

8 minutes ago, Ing said:

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and thinking about submitting my husbands partner visa (I am an Australian Citizen).

I am just not sure whether to use an immigration solicitor here in the UK or to do it ourselves online.

Does any advice please? 

Thank you

We did it ourselves as we have a straightforward case (married for nearly 12 years and 3 Aussie kids). Only time will tell whether that was a wise decision or not, but 🤞 It’s such an expense in the first place we just felt we couldn’t afford anymore money. Others will take the view that if you’re paying out $7,000 you ought to pay the extra to make sure it’s done properly. It’s a daunting process, but provided you’re genuine and can supply all the relevant evidence to prove it, then it should be fine to do it yourselves. You can always use this forum for advice...everyone is very helpful. Good luck!

• Like 1

It shouldn’t be but don’t assume it will be a rubber stamp job.

You will need to make a full and complete application including evidence to prove a continuing and lasting relationship. Don’t skip adding evidence assuming marriage and birth certificates will suffice. 

They will still assess the application against all the criteria, they are putting more scrutiny on visas and being married for however long is no longer enough as evidence on its own

you should be granted PR without the 2 years wait. 

If you've been married for some time and have a child, then I don't think an agent or solicitor is necessary.   As Rammygirl says, you still need to gather all the evidence, but it's going to be easier for you  than for the average young couple just starting out.  

These articles are useful:

https://www.theaussieflashpacker.com/2016/01/how-our-australian-partner-visa-was-granted-in-six-months.html

https://halftheclothes.com/travel-tips/australian-partner-visa-application-tips/

For the most part solicitors know little about Australian immigration, except how to charge for advice.

If you want advice or assistance, may I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent?

Some solicitors are also registered migration agents. This due to change and any solicitor will be able to give migration advice, even those who know nothing at all about it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ing said:

Hi Everyone,

Does any advice please? 

Thank you

The application isn't difficult, but you do have to be organised and thorough.  As long as you are willing to do the research and planning your evidence, put it together in an organised way and upload it all, there is no need for an agent in most cases.

34 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The application isn't difficult, but you do have to be organised and thorough.  As long as you are willing to do the research and planning your evidence, put it together in an organised way and upload it all, there is no need for an agent in most cases.

Agreed. I look at it this way: there are many things you can do yourself if you do the research and planning, perhaps change a tap, install a satellite dish, file your tax return, apply for a visa etc etc. Sometimes, though, the peace of mind, and the saved time, that comes from using a professional is money well spent. 

Edited by paulhand

12 hours ago, rammygirl said:

It shouldn’t be but don’t assume it will be a rubber stamp job.

You will need to make a full and complete application including evidence to prove a continuing and lasting relationship. Don’t skip adding evidence assuming marriage and birth certificates will suffice. 

They will still assess the application against all the criteria, they are putting more scrutiny on visas and being married for however long is no longer enough as evidence on its own

you should be granted PR without the 2 years wait. 

Thank you, that is helpful advice. 

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Thanks Jon

4 hours ago, paulhand said:

Agreed. I look at it this way: there are many things you can do yourself if you do the research and planning, perhaps change a tap, install a satellite dish, file your tax return, apply for a visa etc etc. Sometimes, though, the peace of mind, and the saved time, that comes from using a professional is money well spent. 

Thanks Paul - I gues my next question is shall we apply here in the UK and wait or just go over and do it from Australia and get my partner a bridging visa whilst there. 

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you've been married for some time and have a child, then I don't think an agent or solicitor is necessary.   As Rammygirl says, you still need to gather all the evidence, but it's going to be easier for you  than for the average young couple just starting out.  

These articles are useful:

https://www.theaussieflashpacker.com/2016/01/how-our-australian-partner-visa-was-granted-in-six-months.html

https://halftheclothes.com/travel-tips/australian-partner-visa-application-tips/

Much appreciated

On 28/02/2019 at 21:07, Ing said:

Thanks Paul - I gues my next question is shall we apply here in the UK and wait or just go over and do it from Australia and get my partner a bridging visa whilst there. 

Partner visa applications for those in the UK have been taking 6 to 9 months - so much depends on whether that sort of timeline fits with your plans for moving to Australia.

Recognising of course that past performance is no indication of future performance (to coin a phrase).

Best regards,

Edited by Alan Collett