Transferring your funds

LizGilly

I am just looking into this myself. There isn’t really a way to compare best rate as it changes so quickly. I have leaned towards currencies direct based on money saving expert website. On google you can see the high & low and how much it fluctuates. 

If you have over 30k they will have someone look after the transfer for you. I think you can say to them ‘if it hits dye rate then make the exchange. I am hoping to hear back today so will confirm for you.

2 hours ago, LizGilly said:

I’ve tried looking through the topics on here but I can’t find what I’m looking for. Can anyone recommend the best way to transfer your funds from the UK to Australia. Which company gives you the best exchange rate etc.  Thanks. Liz

I highly recommend transferwise. You can download their app as well and use your debit card to make a payment. Money usually reach in under an hour.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/02/2019 at 09:26, LizGilly said:

I’ve tried looking through the topics on here but I can’t find what I’m looking for. Can anyone recommend the best way to transfer your funds from the UK to Australia. Which company gives you the best exchange rate etc.  Thanks. Liz

Hi,

We have always used Moneycorp and they give free transfers  for poms in oz members. I am not aware of a maximum amount hough that can be transferred. A quick call to them will tell you.

• 8 months later...

An old thread but I'll resurrect it rather than open a new one as my query is related to it.

Is there any additional Oz or UK taxes applied when transferring a largish sum of between 50k GBP to 250k GBP (proceeds from a property sale and savings)? Is there anything unexpected (other than making sure I use the correct account details) I should be aware of when transferring sums of this size from UK to Oz? I don't want any nasty surprises before I proceed.

Thanks

On 25/11/2019 at 17:21, le petit roi said:

An old thread but I'll resurrect it rather than open a new one as my query is related to it.

Is there any additional Oz or UK taxes applied when transferring a largish sum of between 50k GBP to 250k GBP (proceeds from a property sale and savings)? Is there anything unexpected (other than making sure I use the correct account details) I should be aware of when transferring sums of this size from UK to Oz? I don't want any nasty surprises before I proceed.

Thanks

Should be ok.

I use Currency Fair.  Can use market rates or pick your own and wait for the market to move.

All very easy to do online.

On 25/11/2019 at 19:51, le petit roi said:

Thanks

That will depend on your residency and if it was your principal place of residence.  If you are in UK and you have sold your home ready to migrate, then no tax should apply at either end.  If savings can pass money laundering, ie you can if asked prove how you got them then no tax on that transfer either.