Shipping remover disclaimer for declining their insurance

swc132994

The time has come for our move to Brisbane. Our belongings are now in the shipping container and we are now on a short break before our next flight to Oz.

We decided to use a third party insurer for our goods. After I sent this to the shipping company we are using I received an email to sign an attached disclaimer form. Most of the form basically tells that I decided to not use their insurance telling us over many paragraphs how great their insurance package is and that we decide to use a cheap insurer, blah blah blah.

The last two paragraphs however did catch my attention I will paste it below. I removed the name of the company.

I confirm that I have declined the Shipment Protection to cover the handling, packing, removal, loading, transport, shipment, unloading and delivery of my household and personal effects from my home in the UK to my new home overseas.

I understand that I cannot hold "REMOVAL COMPANY" and/or its agents responsible for any delay, damage, loss or anything else resulting from the full door to door removal and shipment of my household effects. I accept that all business transacted is subject to the Standard Trading Conditions as printed on the reverse side of the removal acceptance form and I accept that "REMOVAL COMPANY" are only liable under limited liability conditions.

By signing this I feel as though I am giving them permission to be careless with our belongings and for them to take as long as they like to ship as they would no longer be responsible.

Edited by swc132994

I might as well mention that the shipping company we are using are PSS international and insured using Letton Percival.

Up until this point the service from PSS has been overall good and I picked them over other shippers as other members on this forum have had positive experiences using them. Did anyone else have this experience?

Yup. And they damaged something. Letton Percival was great. They asked that I filed a response to the removal company re careless handling and they paid a certain amount and LP paid the rest. 

They just try to frighten you into taking their insurance and then if something goes amiss you are in a situation where you are using their own insurance against them. Not ideal. 

Third party every time. I wouldn’t hesitate to use LP again. 

Yup. And they damaged something. Letton Percival was great. They asked that I filed a response to the removal company re careless handling and they paid a certain amount and LP paid the rest. 
They just try to frighten you into taking their insurance and then if something goes amiss you are in a situation where you are using their own insurance against them. Not ideal. 

Third party every time. I wouldn’t hesitate to use LP again. 
This is useful information! I have a quote from PSS but will be looking at another two also. Simpsons and Bourne's . Reading the insurance details will be key based on the information here!

On 30/01/2019 at 10:24, swc132994 said:

I might as well mention that the shipping company we are using are PSS international and insured using Letton Percival.

Up until this point the service from PSS has been overall good and I picked them over other shippers as other members on this forum have had positive experiences using them. Did anyone else have this experience?

Thanks for sharing...

can I ask , was there a great difference between the two quotes for insurance?

thanks

We didn't get a quote from PSS in the end. We were advised that we could insure individual items or everything. But from reading these forums we decided not to even try the all under one roof solution as others have had headaches if items were damaged.

At least with our insurer they wanted everything to be covered. For the whole house (3 bed house) contents minus work tools cost just over £1000.

Best regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would check in and update. We arrived in Brisbane just over a week ago, I will be in touch soon with the movers handing our goods on this side. In the meantime we now have to wait until about mid March when our container will arrive. We went with Letton Percival for insurance despite unfriendly notices from PSS to take theirs instead. We were quite detailed in everything we listed for the insurance just to be on the safe side, a lot more work but probably worth it if anything does happen. 

We are hoping to secure a property by the time the container arrives to have a place to move our belongings into.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just a another quick update since I have not posted in while.

Our goods arrived in the port of Brisbane at beginning of March and thankfully passed quarantine without issue. Unfortunately we were not ready to have our goods delivered since we did not have a house to have our belongings delivered to. In fact, our house hunting did not go well at all and the after staying in temporary accommodation for a few months and getting nowhere with a house and not enjoying Brisbane we have decided to give Melbourne a try instead.

We have just purchased a house and waiting for the settlement date in August. It is a shame really as I found work in Brisbane after only a couple of weeks although the Brisbane climate and culture hasn't rubbed off on my wife. Anyway back to the main point we are now moving our undelivered belonging to Melbourne with Allied Pickfords and extending our insurance with Letton Percival. We really hope all is going to work out for the best this time round.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Last update:

There were a few damaged goods so we contacted Letton Percival to put forward a claim. The first thing we noticed is that Letton Percival are just a  insurance broker with the insurance and claim actually was handled by a company called Tokio Marine.

It did take some time for the claim to process but submitting the claim was straight forward. We submitted the shipping paperwork including the delivery note as well as photos with description of the damage and an estimate to replace or repair in Australia.

4 hours ago, swc132994 said:

Last update:

There were a few damaged goods so we contacted Letton Percival to put forward a claim. The first thing we noticed is that Letton Percival are just a  insurance broker with the insurance and claim actually was handled by a company called Tokio Marine.

It did take some time for the claim to process but submitting the claim was straight forward. We submitted the shipping paperwork including the delivery note as well as photos with description of the damage and an estimate to replace or repair in Australia.

Tokio Marine are one of the largest logistics insurers on the planet; they are usually very good

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note. Tokia Marine seem to be struggling somewhat in the UK and I think they may have closed their Manchester office as after recently calling the Manchester office where my claim was being handled, the number no longer works and had to call the London office instead. I am now having to chase for the claim payout as the person handling the claim has left the company.

I also found this article related to Tokio Marine from their own news release dated June 2019.

http://www.tokiomarinekiln.com/news-views/news-releases/tokio-marine-group-shifts-tmk-focus-to-lloyd-s-business/

Edited by swc132994
change web link to more reliable source