Buying a car

klr81

Hello all,

We arrive in Sydney on 18th December and have about 4 weeks of travelling before we make our way to where we'll be living in Central NSW. We really want to get a car the week we arrive. We could buy outright but I'd prefer to do a large deposit and then get car finance for rest. I was looking at SUVs a couple of years old at first but actually the prices of new models or showroom models are not that much more. I am not sure whether we'll be eligible for finance as new arrivals, but I will have my contract to show what my salary will be when I start work in January and would be looking at a 50% deposit.

Does anybody think this is unrealistic? Any other advice or pointers would be appreciated. Our only experience of buying a car in Australia was 15 years ago as backpackers with only 1000AUD to spend!

Thanks
Kelly

Just my opinion here but I would keep it simple because I have no idea how you will go for finance.

For example, a brand new Toyota Kluger = $43k  same car 2/3yr old = $ 30 - 35k ( you can haggle a used car ) and save atleast $10k if not more and not be messing about with finance paperwork and should still feel like a new car.

Ford territory worth a look also.  

If you go the 2nd hand route ( so Toyota Kluger, find a Toyota dealership ) haggle like mad ( screen price says $33k offer $28k and stop at $30k ) don't pay anywhere near the screen price, they will expect you to haggle.

Edited by Wa7

That's good then.

Obviously I'm not sure what model Honda they say they have have for about $30k but make sure you see the cars advertised price first ( sounds like they know your budget 😱 ) and will look for you to just buy it because they tell you its worth $30k.

Make sure the vehicles are in the yard with a price on the windscree ( let's say $32k )     then you offer $26k and take it from there. Be brutal or you will get ripped off. 

Last vehicle I purchased was on display for $27500 I payed $21200.................

Carsales.com is a good place to check out prices ( the Honda place you are talking to may even have a few cars on there )

Good luck with it all.

Edited by Wa7

3 hours ago, klr81 said:

Hello all,

We arrive in Sydney on 18th December and have about 4 weeks of travelling before we make our way to where we'll be living in Central NSW. We really want to get a car the week we arrive. We could buy outright but I'd prefer to do a large deposit and then get car finance for rest. I was looking at SUVs a couple of years old at first but actually the prices of new models or showroom models are not that much more. I am not sure whether we'll be eligible for finance as new arrivals, but I will have my contract to show what my salary will be when I start work in January and would be looking at a 50% deposit.

Does anybody think this is unrealistic? Any other advice or pointers would be appreciated. Our only experience of buying a car in Australia was 15 years ago as backpackers with only 1000AUD to spend!

Thanks
Kelly

Mind if I ask where in ‘central NSW’?

I’m not sure if you’ve talked finance terms yet but with zero credit history you’re likely to get the worst terms on offer. I was in a similar situation, could have put a big deposit down and tried to finance, or buy a run around out right and wait until I could show positive cash flow through my bank account over a couple months. We decided on the latter and bought a small run around (which we needed anyway), and then a family car after a couple months when we had established ourselves. The guy who I went through for finance reckoned I saved 3% interest and dropped required deposit to only 10% by waiting a couple months and being able to show income in Australia. Considering how much it costs to get set up in a new country (we dropped about $30k in our first 2 months here, including the run around car), it might be something to consider to preserve your cash flow

Thanks, really appreciate that info. We are going to see what the finance comes back with. If it's a rubbish rate, we'll get a run around. We are quite lucky in that we get a house and utilities with my job, so cash flow won't be too tight. However, I don't want to pay over the odds for no reason!

just a side note... be prepared for slow turnaround... I just tried financing a $20k car with a $4k deposit and it took the dealer almost two days to give me a response... I ended up buying a steal of a car outright from a mutual friend who has had it in the garage for a while... one owner full service... flew through the roadworthy with a warning about the licence plate light!

you will get warnings about sub$5k cars... and I think it's wise to heed those warnings..  

but be prepared to wait about a bit with some things... 

and haggle like mad... that is very true!!

I walked in expecting the usual 30minute turnaround from salesperson on the keyboard to drivibg off the lot.

(ps... I too had a permanent contract, local bank statements with money in for a few months, bills in hand etc etc, but had obly landed a week before)

On 02/12/2018 at 10:46, klr81 said:

Hello all,

We arrive in Sydney on 18th December and have about 4 weeks of travelling before we make our way to where we'll be living in Central NSW. We really want to get a car the week we arrive. We could buy outright but I'd prefer to do a large deposit and then get car finance for rest. 

Bear in mind that car finance contracts last for a number of years,.  We've had several people on these forums who arrived, took out a contract, then for various reasons had to go home again before the end of the contract - and they can't sell the car because they don't own it.  

I know you're moving to Australia with the intention of staying for good, but the fact is that you can't know for sure until you've lived here a while - so it's a lot more sensible to buy a second-hand car, outright, when you first arrive. You can always trade up later once you're sure of your plans.

Hi, great point Marisa. We've already been out of the UK for 4.5 years living in Asia, so I sort of feel we've made the break away and are unlikely to go back anytime soon, but I totally get your point, and it's something to ponder on! Really we will be dictated to by what gets us a car quickest! We really want to be mobile asap! I have a feeling that second-hand could be quicker anyway. 

Edited by klr81

1 hour ago, klr81 said:

We really want to be mobile asap! I have a feeling that second-hand could be quicker anyway. 

If you are going to Central NSW then that's wise.  I remember when we arrived (in country Victoria) we were completely stranded until we could get to a car dealership, because public transport is so limited outside the big cities.  The choice wasn't great - second-hand cars in the country are more likely to have had a rough life, driving on dirt roads etc.

I would say your best bet is to head out along Parramatta Road in Sydney and buy a second-hand car for cash - you'll have lots of choice!  The area is nicknamed "Auto Alley" for good reason. The dealerships start around Five Dock, where the Great North Road joins Parramatta Road, and continue for a good distance.   

Edited by Marisawright