8504 condition date of entry

We have been granted a 189 visa, however we are trying to make sense of the 8504 condition. On the visa it states "for first entry, arrive by 26th January 2019." It also states "must not arrive after 1st December 2023" I'm writing this in the 1st December 2018 so I'm worried that I have to book a flight to Australia in a month and get time off work, to make it for the January 2019 deadline. I know we don't have to settle straight away but this does seem like a tight turnaround. When do we need to make out first entry? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

26 minutes ago, Sam Boardman said:

We have been granted a 189 visa, however we are trying to make sense of the 8504 condition. On the visa it states "for first entry, arrive by 26th January 2019." It also states "must not arrive after 1st December 2023" I'm writing this in the 1st December 2018 so I'm worried that I have to book a flight to Australia in a month and get time off work, to make it for the January 2019 deadline. I know we don't have to settle straight away but this does seem like a tight turnaround. When do we need to make out first entry? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

First entry date is just what it says. You need to enter Australia by 26/01/2019, even if you only stay a few hours.  

Then you can come and go as you please until 1/12/2013. After that you need citizenship or an RRV in order to travel.

First entry date is usually based on the earlier of either your pcc or medical, which is why people are usually advised not to do them until requested

6 hours ago, Sam Boardman said:

I have emailed skilled.support and they said that with the facilitation letter that we received, we are fine to enter after our initial entry date. Hope this helps anyone else in a similar situation. 

Be very careful on two aspects. First, never ever take advice from immigration. I know that sounds odd, but you would be amazed how often they give bad advice and they have a legal indemnity for the problems that causes - the official requirement is that if need advice, you should speak to a registered migration agent. 

Second, the policy as far as I am aware has not changed from what Nemesis has said. Which is that if you fail to make first entry by the first entry date, visas are cancelled 

• Like 2

On 01/12/2018 at 19:21, Sam Boardman said:

Cheers

If it's a recent grant I assume you front loaded either medicals or police checks.

We front loaded medicals a bit so only had 10 months from grant to first entry.  Had planned an activation trip but decided easier to accelerate the process.

Unfortunately it sounds like you need an activation trip quickly, I would not be risking it after getting through the 189 process.

I think this covers all family members on the same application, but worth checking with your agent!

Your trip can be an in and out so an extremely long weekend at a push, good luck!!

12 hours ago, Sam Boardman said:

I have emailed skilled.support and they said that with the facilitation letter that we received, we are fine to enter after our initial entry date. Hope this helps anyone else in a similar situation. 

What would be the point of having a first entry date but then allowing people to enter, for the first time, after it? 

I would check and then double-check that the advice you have is correct.

You wouldn't want to throw away your visa because someone, somewhere misunderstood your question, would you?

Edited by NickyNook

13 hours ago, Sam Boardman said:

The first entry is in order to activate your visa (validation), you must do this by the first date of entry.  You are can then enter Australia anytime before the expiry of your visa in 2023