Opening a Aus Bank Account from the UK?

roomummy

Hello, Just after some advise on opening an Australian bank account whilst still in the UK. We are relocating in 2019 but have now sold our house and are preparing for the move. I am ready to transfer funds to Australia and would like to open my bank accounts in anticipation. I am an Australian citizen and have previously banked with NAB (over 18 years ago). I have a fixed address in Australia but am still a resident of the UK until our move next year. Looking for advise on best way to open an account, what information is need and do I require a tax file number or other information which I have to obtain first? 

Thank you 🙂

21 hours ago, roomummy said:

Hello, Just after some advise on opening an Australian bank account whilst still in the UK. We are relocating in 2019 but have now sold our house and are preparing for the move. I am ready to transfer funds to Australia and would like to open my bank accounts in anticipation. I am an Australian citizen and have previously banked with NAB (over 18 years ago). I have a fixed address in Australia but am still a resident of the UK until our move next year. Looking for advise on best way to open an account, what information is need and do I require a tax file number or other information which I have to obtain first? 

Thank you 🙂

You can't get a tax file number until you are resident in Australia. Because you don't have a tax file number the bank are required to withhold 10% tax on your interest. That tax paid will however go towards paying HMRC when you report the foreign interest you've earned (and tax paid on it) on your UK tax return.

PS: Just reread your post. You would have had a tax file number 18 years ago and that is likely to still be your correct number - but I wouldn't recommend quoting it to the bank until you've re-established residency in Australia.

Edited by Ken

More investigating has lead me to HSBC. They are offering free transfers between the UK account and Global account. Exchange rates are fixed on the day. Anyone have any experience with HSBC. Not many branches in Australia but surely people online van these days mostly anyway.

1 hour ago, roomummy said:

More investigating has lead me to HSBC. They are offering free transfers between the UK account and Global account. Exchange rates are fixed on the day. Anyone have any experience with HSBC. Not many branches in Australia but surely people online van these days mostly anyway.

Yes we are using HSBC. We’ve banked with them for over 40 years in UK. Transfers are instant so no messing with transferring your money to other money transfer companies. Up to now the rate is better than others I've looked at. 

• Like 2

Guest Carol from Vista Financial
On 26/10/2018 at 00:09, roomummy said:

Thank you 🙂

Hi @roomummy

Some Aus banks allow you to open accounts here with overseas contact details (i.e. mobile numbers and addresses) so you can transfer money in... just read the fine print as often you can't withdraw anything out until you have been identified either at a branch here when you arrive, or at their overseas branch (if they have one near you).

But, as you are a Citizen with a fixed address in Australia it may actually be a lot simpler for you.

RE: TFN - it is not mandatory to provide it to the bank but if you choose not to withholding tax will apply if you earn any interest - they are required to do this by law on behalf of the ATO.

Oh, and if possible see if you can hold off on having a card issued to you immediately - even if there is someone there to collect it on the other end there is often a time frame for it to be activated and if it is months till you come over you may need to request a new one by the time you get here anyway!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Egorfester said:

If you open the account while still in the UK, do you need to wait for a residency visa before you can pick up the card and start using the account? or can you do this without Aus residency?

I'm in the UK and using my Australian HSBC account now. They sent my card in the post. I registered for Internet banking to activate the card. 

Guest Carol from Vista Financial
9 hours ago, Egorfester said:

If you open the account while still in the UK, do you need to wait for a residency visa before you can pick up the card and start using the account? or can you do this without Aus residency?

Hi @Egorfester

Depends on the bank and their identification requirements normally. Some won't post a first issue card internationally, some may. Best check with them direct.

22 hours ago, Egorfester said:

Unless your bank has it's own policy against it you don't need Aus residency to have a bank account. You do however normally have to identify yourself at a branch before being able to make withdrawals. With most Australian banks this means going to Australia. HSBC does of course have branches outside Australia and Westpac has a branch in London.

Edited by Ken
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ken said:

Unless your bank has it's own policy against it you don't need Aus residency to have a bank account. You do however normally have to identify yourself at a branch before being able to make withdrawals. With most Australian banks this means going to Australia. HSBC does of course have branches outside Australia and Westpac has a branch in London.

ken, brilliant recommendation. I called the London Westpac branch, opened an account over the phone with a very helpful bank manager and presto...bank account sorted! Result. 🙂