Horrible creatures in Brisbane

carlymac

Hi everyone

How often do you come across snakes, deadly spiders? Or even the none deadly ones hunstmen..eeewwww!!! I have been researching all the animals and although I have never been bothered by them when I saw :wideeyed: the pictures I got a shiver down my spine.....

Also what are the mozzies like?? I have read so many posts on here about how bad they are....:wideeyed:

Hiya i live on acerage backing onto bushland and in nearly 2 years ive seen one Redback spider,one teeneey green tree snake and half a dozen huntsman,ive seen more tree frogs and daddy long legs!!!lol, I was sooo worried before coming here about the crawlies as anyone who watched wanted down under will know,lol, but honestly its not that bad and the scarey stuff isnt hiding behind every door waiting to attack,lol

The mossies can be a nightmare and spoil outdoor teas and everything in summer,the only way we beat them was enclosing the patio and now its great ,hardly see any,lol

hope this helps a bit

Cal x

We were greeted by a huntsman on the day we moved into our rental - he was there in the kitchen ready to welcome us - would have preferred a cup of tea!! There were a couple of white tail spiders outside but we had the house sprayed outside and since then we have had nothing (4 months in rental now). We live in glorious suburbia on the Gold Coast by the way.

Have yet to experience mozzies much as we haven't been here for a summer. All I know is citronella candles are a plenty so use them all the time and take Vit B coz someone on here said that helps. Have not been bitten once yet.

Must admit that I was scared about living a rural life like Cal (we did in UK and loved it) which is why we live in suburbia but having read Cal's post maybe I might change my mind because I absolutely love the hinterland here and know I am so stupid to think the way I do hehe!!

Lyn x

p.s. Carly - my daughters name is Carly and our surname is Macdonald - I thought you were her, joining pio!! but last time I looked she didn't have any kids (phew!!)

My best friend lives in Cleveland on half an acre and her garden is full of creepy little snakes, she does not garden now. Also a python lives in her shed. There are a lot of pythons around there and they have to make sure the fly wire door is shut as they like to come in, her neighbour found one in her laundry recently. She sent me a pic of one eating a wallaby from the local rag last year. So Cleveland is 30 mins out of Brissie and lots of creepies around.

Very lucky if you avoid in QLD. Lots of creepies in Cairns along with Crocs.

We live on acreage in Victoria and I could walk outside now and find redbacks easy, in the shed, in the worm farms even get in the house under the chairs.

Spiders do not worry me, only snakes and I have seen one her in the garden in 20 years.

I think the reason there are no mossies around is because its tropical councils spray. We certainly get lots down here and the like to bite in the spring and autumn.

Huntsman we get lots in the house and around and I leave them alone because they eat the bugs.

Guest KirstyM

I've spent loads of time travelling around Australia over the years and I really haven't seen much. I saw a redback once, but went looking for it after a local told me where I could find one (yes, mad!) and have probably seen 5 or 6 huntsmans.

All outdoors mind you. Worst we've had in our apartment is some Geckos which startle you as they sit on the wall and run off really rapidly when you switch a light on.

I've never really had much bother to be honest.

I find cockroaches the worst. When we first got here, our rented flat was infested; the agent said "well, thats Queensland!". If you get a good company to do a bug spray they soon go though. We did the patio too, and just saw the odd dead one; not seen any for a while, too cold perhaps? We had a cane toad in the garden, but he's gone now, (I hope). I know you are supposed to kill them in the freezer, but I'm too scared to go near them!

I'm not overly concerned about spiders either, and have never seen a snake yet. Plenty of geckos though, scared the life out of me first time one came inside.

We live in a very populated area, near a main road, so will explain why not too many beasties here.

Jo x

Guest KirstyM

I forgot about the roaches. Oh they made my skin crawl to start with!

However I felt much better about them after one of them flying ones landed right on my naked form as I was getting dressed one morning. OH discovered me beating furiously at my chest and screaming: -

"Arrghh!! Help!! Get off you minger!! Eeeek, where's it gone?!?!"

And so on.

I think once the worst happens, they stop bothering you :biglaugh:

Guest The Baggo's

We had a few cockroaches and big spiders in our rental. our house has had the 'gold medal' spray and so far, touch wood, nothing. My friend backs onto a golf course and has seen two snakes, one up at her patio window!! last summer a guy got bit by a snake on Main beach!! another one apparently slid under the fridge in Subway at Burleigh!!

I love the ghecko's they eat all the spiders,lol !!!!! in fact id love a big huge dragon as a pet,lol then i know id never get a snake at my back door,lol

Cal x

You`ll might find the old dragon midght not differentiate between snakes and humans lol betta meal human. I`ll not be seeing a dragon M I L cant afford airfare

Malx :biglaugh:

We have had 2 huntsmen in the house (our rental) and a red back in our garage... Seen lots of snakes sunning on the tarmac in the hot weather, My hubs ran over a red bellied black YUK..

Had a green frog come shleter from the rain and a cane toad in the garage...NO COCKROACHES tho :)

x

You want to give the old toad a lick better than a bucket of vino

Malx

Guest Working to fish
You want to give the old toad a lick better than a bucket of vino

Malx

yep last,s longer than vino to apparantly.:shocked:

only had one huntsman in our house ,the size of my hand tho.

eddie

Guest beermeister

You're more likely to come across a threatening hooded teenager in the UK than one of the venemous nasties in Brisbane; at least you can reason with the latter.

Had a big (40cm long by about 18cm high) dragon-like lizard sitting under our table at Amici's on southbank. It was kind of cute, we fed it bits of ham and chicken and then it lay down on the deck beside us like a dog. Apparently it was a female and the male is three times the size!

Never saw a snake when we were there, even when I forgot myself and rushed into some long grass to try to get some roos to move for the camera. Never saw a cane toad, but perhaps they sleep in winter. Never saw a redback but saw some whopping spiders, including the golden orb which spins an egg sac with golden thread, right after she eats the bloke.

Pythons might be a worry if you have pets, but I don't think there are many in suburbia.

Are there? :wideeyed:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrisbaneReturners

stay clear of any place near water.. snakes love water. i used to live near a creek and we had heaps of snakes right up to the house windows.. once we had two carpet snakes fighting inside the house!! very scary! stay clear of bush and overgrowth.. if you see a rental with overhanging bushes around it and lots of trees.. stay clear.. spider domain for sure.. i used to live in thornlands and they seem to have the biggest spiders.. we used to get these ones.. they turned out to be a cross between huntsmen and trapdoor spiders and would run at us inside the house waving their two front legs hissing.. horrible!!! makes my skin crawl just typing it! where we live is pretty good.. all flyscreened.. complex.. nothing .. yet..

Whereabouts in Brisbane was that?

The place we're heading for has water nearby, and I'm a bit worried about the pets.

Guest BrisbaneReturners

the place where we had the snakes was macgregor - quite suburban really but there was a small creek that ran through the suburb and our house a long with a lot of others backed on to it.. the place where we had the biggest spiders was thornlands.. a bit more rural and we had a chicken farm near by.. basically the rules are this: don't live near a creek or let your house back onto a creek or water unless you don't mind the odd snake.. (although my mother had a carpet python in her backgarden - she doesn't have water at the back of her property but she has water near the front across the road but the snake was in the back tree).. snakes love water.. also the other rule is keep your kitchen and house very very clean.. keep crumbs away clean the floors every night and wipe the beaches and keep containers like flour etc.. sealed in the cupboard and this will keep the cockroaches down..spiders live off cockies so get rid of their food source.. once you hace cockies you'll get spiders.. also keep screen doors closed all the time even when popping out to hang washing out or get something..just be viliant and it will become second nature.. you should be fine that way. re animals.. we had a cat that used to fight with the local possums.. he got lots of scractches and bites from them and it was quite bad.. he ended up getting cat aids from the possums and we had to put him down he was so sick.. very sad but i had never heard of that till then (never heard of cat aids and esp never heard they can get it from possums) so just be careful.. .also a lot of places in brisbane don't like cats.. some people and places have a real problem with cats as they drive the native animals away so i've not found people as accepting of cats as dogs.. also a lot of rentals won't let you have them or certain estates they are banned (including dogs - I've lived in 3 different townhouse complexes where you can't have any kind of pet).

Yes, that no cat rule is the same in NZ for a very few areas. I can't find anything about cat bans in our area, just the usual rules of keeping them in at night and wearing bells. But I did find that they have their own snake wrangler who will remove snakes from your property and release them elsewhere. Oh dear. Might end up building a cat cage to protect the cats from the wildlife, rather than vice versa. Most people I've spoken to say they've had few problems as long as you keep your grass mowed around the house, sheds and other side of the fence line but I think we'll have to check with some locals in the estate we like.

Unfountely the nearest to a dangerous animal was a Cain Toad while i was mowing the lawn and even then i was scared cause i knew they where dangerous as my o/h was wondering why i wasnt cutting near this toad. Soon as she told me what to do she got a wicket and scared it to the little wooded bit we have near us.(Luckly Father in law works in pest control so the only time i get to see a spider is in the garden and with out my glassess i couldnt tell what type it is )But generally if you see a snake walk away from it (woohooo i learnt something from Australia zoo during my 2 week vacation at the begining of the year lol)

Guest Sam&Si
We had a cane toad in the garden, but he's gone now, (I hope). I know you are supposed to kill them in the freezer, but I'm too scared to go near them!

I tried to stay away from this thread cos I knew it would give me the heebiejeebies but obviously I'm a sucker for punishment lol.

I'm curious (and terrified) about this killing cane toads in the freezer business - are you serious? Do you have to catch them and bung them in alive amongst your frozen veg then wait till they freeze to death? :wideeyed::wideeyed:

Guest BrisbaneReturners

just stay way from them dont touch them they are poisones - i've heard you can freeze them to death, or use pelet guns to shoot them or a cricket bat but it's pretty horrible.. the worse thing i think i see in summer is when they get run over (now this bit is grose).. they sit on the road dead and in the heat expand and expand and then you might drive over one and it will explode!! horrible! we just keep clear of them completely but we don't get them where we are... it's too suburban and the nearest water source is too far away. thank god!

Guest Sam&Si
just stay way from them dont touch them they are poisones - i've heard you can freeze them to death, or use pelet guns to shoot them or a cricket bat but it's pretty horrible.. the worse thing i think i see in summer is when they get run over (now this bit is grose).. they sit on the road dead and in the heat expand and expand and then you might drive over one and it will explode!! horrible! we just keep clear of them completely but we don't get them where we are... it's too suburban and the nearest water source is too far away. thank god!

Sweet jesus I've just googled the bl***y things, they are UGLY!!!

Archived