Horrible creatures in Brisbane

carlymac

Guest BrisbaneReturners

actually some people kill them, skin them and leave their skins out to dry.. when dry they roll them up and smoke them! apprently the stuff on their backs makes you high! yes another stupid non-indigenous animal they brought into the country to control other insects they brought into the country... it's one huge mistake they are even here in the first place!

Guest Sam&Si

By the sounds of things I'll have to be wasted on a daily basis just to numb the fear of all the toads/snakes/huntsmen and don't even get me started on the bullsharks in the canals lol. Still can't get image of scary canetoad squatting in my freezer amongst bread and frozen peas out of my mind, also have another random image of me pegging washing out with one hand and swinging a cricket bat with the other lol

x

We had a cane toad in the garden, but he's gone now, (I hope). I know you are supposed to kill them in the freezer, but I'm too scared to go near them!

I tried to stay away from this thread cos I knew it would give me the heebiejeebies but obviously I'm a sucker for punishment lol.

I'm curious (and terrified) about this killing cane toads in the freezer business - are you serious? Do you have to catch them and bung them in alive amongst your frozen veg then wait till they freeze to death? :wideeyed::wideeyed:

That's what we were told at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. They were introduced from the US, and are harmful to the native animals/wildlife or something, so you are encourage to get rid of them humanely. They recommend freezing them, as it sends them to sleep and they die painlessly. I couldn't bring myself to do it though, and as you say, don't fancy one in my freezer!

Jo x

Yes, I've yet to see one of those cane toads. I think they must be sleepy in winter as we never saw a single one. But it's the pets I worry about. You can't tell them not to chase the wriggly things like snakes. I'd hate to come home to a python in the back yard with a lump in its gut and one cat missing, or the dog getting bitten while we're out at work and no-one to save him!

Guest BrisbaneReturners

I've had cats and dogs and refuse to have them anymore. they poo all over the yard. they smell. get ticks. shed hair. chew my washing or bite. most places dont allow them either. oh and you cant go on holiday unless you can find somebody to take them or pay heaps to kennel them. too much mess and hassel!

Not a pet lover then?

Ours are our babies. They sleep on the kids. They are always glad to see us. They don't make much mess or bite and I think flea and tick protection is only their right. I hope we haven't made the wrong decision to take them.

Guest Sam&Si
I have been told that pouring dettol the real dettol on a cane toad will kill them

Good tip, ta mollyflanders. I'll have to invest in some sort of pump-action water gun so I can aim from long distance, no way I'll be able to stand close enough to give them a dettoling lol

x

Guest Sam&Si

Can't stop thinking about these bl***y cane toads, felt the need to post a picture of the blighters so we can all appreciate the full horror.....

Guest mollyflanders

going to buy some dettol today and soon as i see one i will try it out, it was a lady from victoria who told me. By the way anyone from around beissie suburbs....middle park, ricerhills, oxley, richlands, mt ommaney areas or near those areas

Guest Sam&Si

Yeah chuck a few litres on for me as well!! I'm not near any of those areas, still in UK but arriving on 21st Dec, staying in Redcliffe till we decide where we want to live

Guest Sam&Si

Does anyone know - are flies a big problem in Brisbane (North)? Like do all the houses need fly screens and do you have to spray your house every year? I can handle mozzies but hate flies, spesh when cooking/eating....anyone know?

Does anyone know - are flies a big problem in Brisbane (North)? Like do all the houses need fly screens and do you have to spray your house every year? I can handle mozzies but hate flies, spesh when cooking/eating....anyone know?

They are an absolute pain everywhere - flyscreens are a must! :arghh:

Archived