What's up with the fruit?

newjez

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I grow my own strawberries.  I don't like the strawberries from the supermarket.  They are watery and tasteless.

My wife works with an Italian bloke who grows everything himself, has chickens, the lot. He gives her loads of veggies and eggs and the difference in taste between what he gives us and what you buy from the shops is unreal. We had more eggs last week and they're taste sensations. The problem is, when we have to revert to shop bought ones, they're bland as hell.

It's really made me think seriously about growing our own stuff. For taste reasons as well as avoiding nasties like preservatives.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, s713 said:

My wife works with an Italian bloke who grows everything himself, has chickens, the lot. He gives her loads of veggies and eggs and the difference in taste between what he gives us and what you buy from the shops is unreal. We had more eggs last week and they're taste sensations. The problem is, when we have to revert to shop bought ones, they're bland as hell.

It's really made me think seriously about growing our own stuff. For taste reasons as well as avoiding nasties like preservatives.

We do the same.  We buy veggies in season from the local farms - we know the local farmers by now.  Eggs fresh from the farm too.  I don't eat meat but OH gets his hormone free chicken and grass fed lamb and beef from a good local butcher.  i also have a fair size plot at the local community garden and grow strawberries there  (full of flavour)  a few veggies and all the lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber I need during the summer.  I have been successful with broccoli, cauliflower and leeks during the winter months too.  Fish I buy straight off a boat twice a week.  Easy to do now that we are retired and living in good farming country.

• Thanks 1

I remember reading about two fairly recent cases of food tampering in Germany.  Baby food jars were laced with stuff used to make antifreeze and metal pins were found in bread and salami products. 

A few weeks ago during school holidays I spotted a couple of young hooligans opening bottles of soft drinks in Coles.  I watched them for a minute whilst they took a couple of gulps, put the top back on again then placed the bottles back on the shelf.  I went up and grabbed the bottles when they moved away and took them to the service desk and told the woman what the boys had done.  I pointed the boys  out but I don't think anything was done apart from them being told they had been seen and not to do it again.  So be careful when buying a bottle of soft drink that doesn't look as full as it should be.  ?