sending care packages and gifts?

Egorfester

we are hopefully making the move from the UK to Sydney for my partners work. Family are asking if it is possible to send us gifts (such as clothes etc) and care packages of some of our favourite foods? 

Does anyone know of good companies for this and if there is anything to avoid such as wrapping the gifts?

My aunt used to buy things and post them herself but a small parcel costs about £24 to post! I used to use British Cornershop online to get some bits every now and then for foody bits but they are all pretty pricey. Marks and spencer and Next and Debenhams have aussie sites that deliver very reasonably for clothes. Next even did a free return for a refund for me!

My aunt used to send a christmas pudding, cadburys chocolate, cornish wafers and ginger cake! Anything mass produced in its wrapping, really, no seeds, honey, jam or nuts!

• Like 1

You're not moving to the Mojave desert!    Coles and Woolworths (the big supermarkets) both have International sections with some of the foods migrants from the UK, South Africa and Europe crave.  There's also a British sweet shop with branches around the place. 

It's the cost of shipping from the UK that's the killer, it's often more than the goods are worth.  

• Like 1

A friend posted the children some quavers once (multi pack), it had been opened at customs because it contained food although we did receive it.  As Marisa said - food wise, Coles and Woolies have small selections (as does our local IGA) and you'll probably find a British shop too.

Clothes aren't a problem, although postage is expensive.