Advice on suburbs for a young family

HannahS15

Hi

I would like some advice and peoples opinions on suitable suburbs for a young family.

We will be moving to Sydney in just over 3 months for my husbands job, we are both early 30s and have a 2 year old daughter.

We are still undecided whether we want to live closer to the city and joy the buzz and city suburb lifestyle but live in a smaller unit or live a little further away from the city in a bigger place and enjoy the space but still be close to cafes, restaurants etc.

We love to eat out so would ideally like somewhere close by to cafes and restaurants and has stuff going off. We have lived in Fremantle in Perth for 4 years before my daughter was born and would ideally like something a little similar to that.

I would be interested to know peoples opinions on suburbs?

Any help would be appreciated as we only visited Sydney for a long weekend and visited to tourist hot spots.

Thanks

H

• 2 months later...
On 26/07/2018 at 19:40, HannahS15 said:

we are looking at renting and would be between $750 - $1200 per week

Hello Hannah

I suggest Berowra.

To the North of Sydney.

It is a nice family orientated place, and an extremely safe area to raise children.

You can join the Berowra Mums Facebook page for further assistance on moving there.

The biggest crime they have is somebody stealing your garden hose!

You can easily get a great rental there for your price range.

And only 50 minutes from the CBD on the train. Hundreds of people do the commute every day. They also have a good bus service around the "village".

Plus has the facilities you need : childcare, schools, church, pub, doctor, optician, dentist, cafe, takeaway, restaurant, hairdressers, gym, newsagents, supermarket, etc......

Plus surrounded by bush walks; so very pretty location

Nearest hospital, swimming pool, cinema and big shopping centre, are 10 minutes away in Hornsby.

A lovely spot.

Check out Manly & all of the suburbs close to it! You get the best of both worlds there as it’s got several different surf beaches & coves. Massively family orientated with heaps of stunning coastal walks. A massive selection of really nice restaurant, cafe & bars. The whole of the northern beaches are family orientated & safe with a massive dining scene. You’re 20 minutes by ferry into the city or about 40 mins by bus. The further north you go though obviously the longer the journey into the city. We lived there for 3 years & would never live anywhere else in Sydney.

You won’t get masses for your money though & Manly is the most expensive of the suburbs. You’d get a big & fairly decent apartment or an older style house for around the $1,000 mark in most suburbs on the northern beaches. Probably not a house in Manly though.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, HannahS15 said:

Thanks guys for your replies, our situation has very much changed and it looks like we will be moving to Melbourne instead. If you know of any good areas in Melbourne that would also be greatly appreciated for our move in spring next year.

Thanks

H  

You'll find it much easier to find a nice suburb within your budget in Melbourne.   People complain about rents in Melbourne but they are significantly lower than Sydney. We have a 2-bed unit, top floor, with a huge terrace, in a trendy suburb close to the CBD.  We pay $560 per week. In Sydney we'd be paying $700 to $800 for the equivalent. 

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2018 at 21:35, HannahS15 said:

Thanks guys for your replies, our situation has very much changed and it looks like we will be moving to Melbourne instead.

Poor you! I hate Melbourne. But if I had to live there, I would head to the Eastern suburbs or if you don't mind the long commute, head out to somewhere like Sorrento. 

As far as cities go, Melbourne isn't bad at all.  It's not as flash as Sydney and many people would say not as pretentious.  I have a cousin and his family in Greensborough (migrated from Scotland a good few years ago) and they seem to enjoy life there.