High Points for 489/190 - South Australia

20 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Thanks for the efforts. How did you make that map please?

What sort of place are you looking to get? A house or flat? Are you renting?

Cheers

Just photoshop. I got the base map from google and googled where the locations of all the big woolworths and coles supermarkets are. I roughly measured out the walking distance in a few locations to figure out how big to make the circles and then just plopped a circle on every supermarket.

If you're planning on getting a car, I guess it's not that much of a decider, but it's nice to know if you can do a big shop within walking distance. We live a 5-minute walk from a big ASDA and will need to get used to not being as close in Henley beach.

We don't mind what kinda place we get. We have two indoor cats so know there will be a minimal choice, but we'll find somewhere. Best case I think would be a house within 5 minute walk of Henley beach. We own our place in the UK but doubt we'll have the savings to buy straight away. Will rent for a few years probably.

1 hour ago, JonandSophietravel said:

Just photoshop. I got the base map from google and googled where the locations of all the big woolworths and coles supermarkets are. I roughly measured out the walking distance in a few locations to figure out how big to make the circles and then just plopped a circle on every supermarket.

If you're planning on getting a car, I guess it's not that much of a decider, but it's nice to know if you can do a big shop within walking distance. We live a 5-minute walk from a big ASDA and will need to get used to not being as close in Henley beach.

We don't mind what kinda place we get. We have two indoor cats so know there will be a minimal choice, but we'll find somewhere. Best case I think would be a house within 5 minute walk of Henley beach. We own our place in the UK but doubt we'll have the savings to buy straight away. Will rent for a few years probably.

Just do bear in mind that a 15 minute walk to Asda and back with multiple heavy bags in 15 degree overcast weather is VERY VERY different from a 15 minute walk to Coles and back in 35 degree intense sunlight.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Just do bear in mind that a 15 minute walk to Asda and back with multiple heavy bags in 15 degree overcast weather is VERY VERY different from a 15 minute walk to Coles and back in 35 degree intense sunlight.

Good point. Although, we want to live in Henley beach so no big supermarkets anywhere near. Happy to get buses 🙂

9 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Do you not drive or is there another reason you won't be getting a car?

I drive, just use hire cars generally. Can hire a brand new car at least once a month and it's generally cheaper than insurance alone, let alone repairs, tax, MOT etc. Owned a car once but never needed it in the UK. Might be persuaded to buy one in Aus depending on where we end up and how good the public transport it but the buses and trams in Adelaide are generally really good 🙂

12 hours ago, JonandSophietravel said:

I drive, just use hire cars generally. Can hire a brand new car at least once a month and it's generally cheaper than insurance alone, let alone repairs, tax, MOT etc. Owned a car once but never needed it in the UK. Might be persuaded to buy one in Aus depending on where we end up and how good the public transport it but the buses and trams in Adelaide are generally really good 🙂

My mum lives in Adelaide (Hallett Cove) so I've been over a couple of times on holiday. I can vouch for the bus service being of a pretty decent standard.

Morning everyone (morning in the UK anyway 😀)

The spreadsheet is showing some positive news for visa processing! In the last few days there have been 3 people update their status to show visa granted and they're all within 8-10 weeks of their visa application. For those of us in this thread who have already applied, you might have a visa by Jan/Feb. We're hoping to apply this week so could hear back Feb / March. That would be incredible and would mean we may be out by the end of August (that's our aim).

• Like 3

Morning everyone (morning in the UK anyway [emoji3])
The spreadsheet is showing some positive news for visa processing! In the last few days there have been 3 people update their status to show visa granted and they're all within 8-10 weeks of their visa application. For those of us in this thread who have already applied, you might have a visa by Jan/Feb. We're hoping to apply this week so could hear back Feb / March. That would be incredible and would mean we may be out by the end of August (that's our aim).
fingers crossed, that would be awesome, hope its not just the case officers getting a few cases off their workload before they have a huge christmas holiday! The schools all have the summer break over Christmas in Oz, dont they?

Could you post the link for the spreadsheet?

Hello all, I am in a serious situation. Experienced people, pls guide me. I have submitted a stat dec to acs previously which contained wrong job title but correct roles and responsibilities. Acs assessment was positive based on roles.

Shud i submit the same stat dec to immigration ? Or can i submit a new one?

How do i correct tghe previous stat dec which is submitted to acs? Can an affidavit or new acs solve the problem?

I actually approached an agent and paid him half the amount and requested him fo fix the issue by amending the earlier stat dec or submitting affidavit or watsoever to be on safe side. He initially agreed but after receiving the first instalment, he neither gave me a contract letter. Now he is threatenjng me to give more money or else he will put a case against me to DIBP that i have made a wrong stat dec. It wa stotally unintentional and i want tk rectify it smoothly but he is blackmailing me now. I am in india. Any advise for me please friends?

Instead of helping me as an agent he is complaining about me to immigration. How to stop this?

Edited by Mercury

Hello all, I am in a serious situation. Experienced people, pls guide me. I have submitted a stat dec to acs previously which contained wrong job title but correct roles and responsibilities. Acs assessment was positive based on roles.
Shud i submit the same stat dec to immigration ? Or can i submit a new one?
How do i correct tghe previous stat dec which is submitted to acs? Can an affidavit or new acs solve the problem?
I actually approached an agent and paid him half the amount and requested him fo fix the issue by amending the earlier stat dec or submitting affidavit or watsoever to be on safe side. He initially agreed but after receiving the first instalment, he neither gave me a contract letter. Now he is threatenjng me to give more money or else he will put a case against me to DIBP that i have made a wrong stat dec. It wa stotally unintentional and i want tk rectify it smoothly but he is blackmailing me now. I am in india. Any advise for me please friends?

Instead of helping me as an agent he is complaining about me to immigration. How to stop this?

You're best of starting a new thread. This doesn't relate to the discussion in this post.

On 07/12/2018 at 23:53, JonandSophietravel said:

Wow, I thought 7 weeks was good but they're now down to 5. There must have been almost no applications received after ours for them to jump 2 weeks straight away.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you Jonno. Fingers crossed for your wife's tests not to cause any issues!

Great news for us this morning.

Wife’s medical has been cleared after it was initially referred to the departments migration medical services provider for review.

This means processing of our visas can now continue as normal. 

Just waiting on a decision now as all documents are attached to the application. 

Hoping for the best Christmas present ever!!!

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 2

3 hours ago, Jonno1981 said:

Wife’s medical has been cleared after it was initially referred to the departments migration medical services provider for review.

Just waiting on a decision now as all documents are attached to the application. 

Wooooo that's great!

We applied for our 489 visa yesterday! Officially in the system :):):)

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

29 minutes ago, Jellica said:

@jonno1981 Great news about your medical. I bet thats a relief for you all.
@jonandsophietravel I knew you'd catch us up emoji16.png

So looks like the majority of us in here are front loaded and awaiting good news now. fingers crossed everyone that we are the lucky ones that hear back in 2-3months emoji846.png

Thanks Jellica!

We're not 'officially' front loaded as still need to get the medicals done, but they are booked for 7th Jan and police checks will be ordered very soon, so we should have everything ready before the CO has their first check, assuming they have a break over Christmas and they pick it up around the month mark. Lots of hopes and wishes going on right now....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jellica said:

@jonno1981 Great news about your medical. I bet thats a relief for you all.
@jonandsophietravel I knew you'd catch us up emoji16.png

So looks like the majority of us in here are front loaded and awaiting good news now. fingers crossed everyone that we are the lucky ones that hear back in 2-3months emoji846.png

Thanks @Jellica. Finally excitement is starting to take over from fear of failure, although still not out of the woods until that visa is in our hands.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 02:41, Jonno1981 said:

That's is already a great Christmas present! Hopefully the final hurdle! We're in the same boat ....just waiting for a decision. Status on immi is "further assessment" now...good luck to you and your family mate.🤞

• Thanks 1

On 08/12/2018 at 23:40, JonandSophietravel said:

Morning guys.

Not sure if anyone is fussed but I've been looking into large supermarkets in the Western Adelaide area to get an idea of where is within walking distance. We want to live in Henley beach so we're screwed and will be getting the bus it seems, but for those who haven't chosen a suburb yet, this gives you an idea. I've only made it for the Western suburbs as we want to leave near the beach but it covers a fair distance.

We won't be buying a car, so each circle represents roughly 5 minutes walking and I've only used big Coles or Woolworths:

Dark green - 5mins, light green - 10 mins, blue - 15 mins, orange - 20 mins & red - 25 mins

868744929_AdelaideHeatMapBigSupermarkets.thumb.jpg.34efab175b1b24886e1ea965fa058ce5.jpg

You need a car  . Everyone has a car in Adelaide.  Public transport is terrible compared to Melbourne&Sydney . There is a Foodland in Henley Beach center ; overpriced though. So  residents  go to Aldi and Woolworths on Harbourtown . 

If you dont want a car, then Glenelg suits you better which has a village feel  and has all kinds of shops,markets etc. and  a direct tram to city . 

Edited by Glenelg

On 20/12/2018 at 18:26, Jenki75 said:

Merry Christmas to everyone! Lets hope 2019 brings us everything we want.

update: we have had a busy 3 days completing medicals, blood work, x-rays and police checks for Australia and Canada. All done now and hopeful for a visa next year.

Merry Christmas everyone indeed!

We've got a vet appointment on Christmas eve to get the rabies stuff sorted for our 2 indoor cats. Then our own medicals in early January and we should receive the police checks back in early January too. Hopefully, we won't get our first case officer check-in before then, so they won't have to request them, delaying things.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2018 at 07:06, Glenelg said:

You need a car  . Everyone has a car in Adelaide.  Public transport is terrible compared to Melbourne&Sydney . There is a Foodland in Henley Beach center ; overpriced though. So  residents  go to Aldi and Woolworths on Harbourtown . 

If you dont want a car, then Glenelg suits you better which has a village feel  and has all kinds of shops,markets etc. and  a direct tram to city . 

Thanks for the tip!

Based on your name I'm guessing you live in Glenelg too? We did visit Glenelg when we lived in Adelaide in 2011 - just preferred that Henley was less developed. But you're probably right around how annoying it would get without a car