Getting a mortgage on return to UK

Ecosse2018

Hi there, we recently returned to UK after being in Australia for 8 years. We have been told by a financial advisor that we will have to wait at least two years before we can apply for a mortgage as we won’t have a credit rating and that we also need to have had a uk address for 3 years.

Is anyone else encountering this problem? 

• Confused 1

That is a bit poop! I return tomorrow after 13 years away. When I was visiting the UK last year the Halifax said all I needed was an offer of employment letter, UK passport and a UK address. Now, I am yet to test that and no idea what sort of product/interest rate I would be offered but anyway that’s what they said. 

I will be in a Halifax branch on Monday, so if you don’t get there before me, I’ll let you know!

Pretty sure others on here have returned and got a mortgage quicker than that! Maybe change your financial advisor!

Good luck.

• Like 2

Hi,   very interested to hear what they have to say Amber so an update would be great thanks!  Returning next year with my Australian partner and don't want to rent for too long when we get back.  My credit rating was pretty poor from my student years but have now been here 7 years and have heard it resets after this time (need to look into this)  Good luck to the both of you!

1 minute ago, LincolnH said:

Hi,   very interested to hear what they have to say Amber so an update would be great thanks!  Returning next year with my Australian partner and don't want to rent for too long when we get back.  My credit rating was pretty poor from my student years but have now been here 7 years and have heard it resets after this time (need to look into this)  Good luck to the both of you!

No probs, will do. Yes I think credit rating is 6 years from memory. I had someone steal my identity after I left the UK, I was told it was sorted but who would know, so glad it’s been 8 years since the last instalment of that particular ball ache......

29 minutes ago, LincolnH said:

K cool thanks, I realise I'm going to have to build it up quickly but surely 3 years seems like too much! I guess it comes down to house cost and deposit amount aswell.  Ah that doesn't sound good well I hope its all been sorted for you!

Thanks, yes I assume it has been put to bed as they were contacting me at very regular intervals as the debt got sold on to a different recovery company every few months. ?

Onwards and upwards!

2 hours ago, blondie said:

Rubbish ...  make sure you are on the electoral roll, obviously build up your credit score etc.  We got a mortgage with the TSB ..  no worries.  Can send you the details of our financial advisor if you would like. 

Hi Blondie, I would really appreciate it if you could send me the details of your financial advisor as I seem to be getting fed a complete lot of nonsense!! 

Absolutee tosh! Unless perhaps you’re self employed. We enquired about a mortgage a few months after being home after 10 years away. We were told there wouldn’t be a problem. We have just completed on the purchase of our house. We used The Mortgage Advice Bureau who were fantastic. Get on the electoral role straight away, register with GOV.UK for tax purposes and just about anything else, drivers licences, child benefit, and many other things can be done through this portal. Did you maintain a bank account whilst away? Good luck

• Like 1

Not true, you can get a mortgage providing you have the right to live in the uk indefinitely, have a permanent job (contract), have a deposit  and satisfy the affordability checks. I'm sure most high street banks would be able to help you.  

• Like 1

I agree with the others, credit rating shouldn't matter providing you have the other things in place.  We've not needed a mortgage,  but we did need a credit card which we knew would be refused if we just went through a simple application, due to our lack of credit rating.  So we had to go and see the bank and they got the card application approved by the lending team because of the savings we had.  There are always ways round these things.

On 27/06/2018 at 13:08, Ecosse2018 said:

Hi Blondie, I would really appreciate it if you could send me the details of your financial advisor as I seem to be getting fed a complete lot of nonsense!! 

So sorry to disappoint .. I contacted him yesterday but he is going into hospital for heart surgery and not taking on any more clients for a time.

On 27/06/2018 at 13:08, Ecosse2018 said:

Ok. I arrived in the UK on Friday after being away for 13 years. I walked into the Halifax today and was asked for my passport. I left with;

a current account, I chose the basic one as that suits me but was offered the one with extras that has a fee,

a savings account, again the basic one as my choice but was offered a number of others including an ISA,

and finally a mortgage agreement in principle as I have a job offer and a decent deposit, about 40%. 

I did take a proof of address but wasn’t asked for it and I did take my job offer letter but again wasn’t asked for it.

Go the Halifax! I am signed up for online banking and just have to wait for the debit card to be delivered.

They couldn’t have been more lovely and the branch manager came in to introduce herself and I really don’t have much money to make that anything more than a nice gesture on her part.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Ok. I arrived in the UK on Friday after being away for 13 years. I walked into the Halifax today and was asked for my passport. I left with;

a current account, I chose the basic one as that suits me but was offered the one with extras that has a fee,

a savings account, again the basic one as my choice but was offered a number of others including an ISA,

and finally a mortgage agreement in principle as I have a job offer and a decent deposit, about 40%. 

I did take a proof of address but wasn’t asked for it and I did take my job offer letter but again wasn’t asked for it.

Go the Halifax! I am signed up for online banking and just have to wait for the debit card to be delivered.

They couldn’t have been more lovely and the branch manager came in to introduce herself and I really don’t have much money to make that anything more than a nice gesture on her part.

Very good, if you need to lodge some money whilst getting a house could I recommend Bank of Cyprus.

I'm sure you are aware to get on the electorate roll asap.

37 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Very good, if you need to lodge some money whilst getting a house could I recommend Bank of Cyprus.

I'm sure you are aware to get on the electorate roll asap.

Hi, thanks for this. Yes the electoral roll will have to wait for a minute. I am still registered to vote as an expat to my Australian address, not sure if that helps but no address to link to yet. Very happy with how it went today, thought there might be some issues but all ok.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Thanks for the info - will come in handy when we return & need a mortgage early next year. 

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes on average to buy a property in the UK? When I bought & sold over 20 years ago, it was 6 months from offer to settlement - double the time it takes in Oz.

5 hours ago, EvieV said:

Thanks for the info - will come in handy when we return & need a mortgage early next year. 

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes on average to buy a property in the UK? When I bought & sold over 20 years ago, it was 6 months from offer to settlement - double the time it takes in Oz.

We have just bought a house and it was 8 weeks. We were told to expect 8-12 weeks but we were lucky as there was no upward chain. 

• Like 1

On 02/07/2018 at 13:03, Amber Snowball said:

To add to this I received my bank card and pin today and that’s after it was originally sent to my aunts house (my nominated residential address) and she posted it up to me at the holiday let I am in whilst sorting stuff out. Can’t rate the Halifax highly enough!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulswin said:

Just read all the comments!  Good to know as soon as our house sells here we will be moving back home and trying to get a mortgage!

Good luck! Getting any interest in your house? The area where I sold was just starting to slow/correct as I sold. My sale was painful but I did everything to get that buyer over the line as I wasn’t sure when the next one would come along! My house, it has to be said, wasn’t a traditional layout so had a more limited market to begin with.

On 11/07/2018 at 14:47, Amber Snowball said:

Good luck! Getting any interest in your house? The area where I sold was just starting to slow/correct as I sold. My sale was painful but I did everything to get that buyer over the line as I wasn’t sure when the next one would come along! My house, it has to be said, wasn’t a traditional layout so had a more limited market to begin with.

Hi Amber we're getting a few people through but only had 2 really ridiculous offers, we just need the offers to be little higher then we'll sell - lost alot of money in our house but just got to bite the bullet and not look back!!!!!  Keep your fingers crossed for us as just want to get on with moving back and starting again!!!!!

1 hour ago, paulswin said:

Hi Amber we're getting a few people through but only had 2 really ridiculous offers, we just need the offers to be little higher then we'll sell - lost alot of money in our house but just got to bite the bullet and not look back!!!!!  Keep your fingers crossed for us as just want to get on with moving back and starting again!!!!!

Consider everything crossed! ?

It’s hard when all you want to do is move. 

I was lucky in that I made money on my sale, which is good because I am burning through it at the moment! 

Keep us updated and hopefully someone will come up with an acceptable offer soon.

I am enjoying being back I must say and it feels “right”, so going with it. ?