Renting with pets

Jen3103

Can I ask how easy is it to rent with a cat and a dog in Australia? 

Do landlords ask for particular references for the pets? 

We we are right at the beginning of the process and jumping through hoops at the minute with AHPRA so a long way off but it's something that I'm starting to worry about. 

You will need to pay a pet bond usually, also your agreement may say that you have to have the house professionally cleaned when you vacate.  A lot of properties, don't advertise pets welcome - but it's probably worth asking.

Hi @Jen3103

Take a look on realestate.com.au you can filter properties to “pet friendly” It’s harder than no pets but not impossible. 

Only apply for properties listed as pet friendly. Be aware that doesn’t always mean INDOOR pets. A lot of Australian’s keep dogs and cats “outside only” Always ask letting agents if “Indoor pets” are allowed, to save you wasting time on viewing applying and getting refused. State indoor dog/cat on the application form too, just to cover yourself.  

Some agencies have a special pet form to complete. Some just have a few questions and always include a picture of your pet with your application.

We haven’t ever paid a pet bond? (We’re on our 4th pet friendly rental -SA & QLD)

I’m was recently told by an agent they legally can’t ask for more than a standard bond. They might be allowed to in other states?

We don’t have the property professionally cleaned either, our tenancy agreements have stated “cleaned to a professional standard” but no legal clause to have it professionally cleaned ( I’m a good cleaner ?) Carpets do have to be professionally cleaned and a receipt attached to exit paperwork.

The only thing extra is to pay for when you have indoor pets is flea pest control at the end of the lease. Even if they have never or don’t have fleas. Again a receipt is needed as proof this has been done. 

Cost for 4 bedroom carpet professionally cleaned and flea control $189 (Were vacating in 3 weeks) 

Good luck with everything ?

I disagree about only applying for properties that state they are pet friendly, as it would severely limit your options.  Many landlords do not put this (we didn’t) but do accept pets (we did). It can depend on the type of pet, how many and references.

if a property states no pets, then probably not worth it though.  

It can also depend on the type of property and the area.

Also check council rules about pets dogs and cats may need to be neutered and chipped.  Cats may have to be confined indoors our in an outside run.  Some councils have become very strict recently on cats.

Some apartments and units do not allow pets at all as it is a community rule.

• Like 1

Simply because we didn’t want to just attract pet owners and the garden wasn’t fully fenced either.  Ideally we would not have had pets but we accepted one couple with an elderly outdoor dog (they added some temporary fencing which they then removed) and one with a well trained small indoor dog.  We did refuse to allow an existing tenant to get a kitten though because of potential damage.

TBH kids did more damage to the property than pets.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:36, samlab said:

Hi @Jen3103

Take a look on realestate.com.au you can filter properties to “pet friendly” It’s harder than no pets but not impossible. 

Only apply for properties listed as pet friendly. Be aware that doesn’t always mean INDOOR pets. A lot of Australian’s keep dogs and cats “outside only” Always ask letting agents if “Indoor pets” are allowed, to save you wasting time on viewing applying and getting refused. State indoor dog/cat on the application form too, just to cover yourself.  

Some agencies have a special pet form to complete. Some just have a few questions and always include a picture of your pet with your application.

We haven’t ever paid a pet bond? (We’re on our 4th pet friendly rental -SA & QLD)

I’m was recently told by an agent they legally can’t ask for more than a standard bond. They might be allowed to in other states?

We don’t have the property professionally cleaned either, our tenancy agreements have stated “cleaned to a professional standard” but no legal clause to have it professionally cleaned ( I’m a good cleaner ?) Carpets do have to be professionally cleaned and a receipt attached to exit paperwork.

The only thing extra is to pay for when you have indoor pets is flea pest control at the end of the lease. Even if they have never or don’t have fleas. Again a receipt is needed as proof this has been done. 

Cost for 4 bedroom carpet professionally cleaned and flea control $189 (Were vacating in 3 weeks) 

Good luck with everything ?

We got asked for a pet bond here in WA

• Thanks 1

@ali WA must be leading the way for Australia ?? That’s good to know.

I saw on Qld TV news that they were trying to get the law changed to make every landlord accept pets but tenants would have to pay a pet bond, because a lot of pet owners were having to choose between a roof over their heads or keeping their pets. 

Nothing’s happened yet but hopefully it will now. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/06/2018 at 06:21, Jen3103 said:

Can I ask how easy is it to rent with a cat and a dog in Australia? 

?

It tends to be extremely friggin hard..........but thankfully not impossible

You just need to establish a good argument to any rejections.

Or offer to pay more for a "pet bond"

But logical arguments (discussions) normally work best to sway landlords best I have found

Then again, bare faced lying works well too.........I rented for off and on for ten years with pets (in a none pet residence) and got away with it

?