Freezing in Melbourne

elderberry

This is my second winter in Australia and although Melbourne is generally a great place to live, the winter is hard going!

Is it me or is this year colder than last year?

I'm not sure I could cope being in the UK over winter now

Edited by elderberry

I think it is colder this year. My biggest issue is that it is often colder inside my house than outside. Don’t understand the inability to build houses with insulation here, a sheet of plastic between the bricks and plasterboard just doesn’t cut it! 

I’m out on the eastern fringes so a few degrees colder than the city as well.

Time for a hot chocolate!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

I think it is colder this year. My biggest issue is that it is often colder inside my house than outside. Don’t understand the inability to build houses with insulation here, a sheet of plastic between the bricks and plasterboard just doesn’t cut it! 

Insulation is mandatory or at least has been for a very long time

2 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

We have had a couple of bitterly cold days here on the NW Tassie coast especially if the wind is blowing from the mountains.   Brrrrr.  I agree that a lot of houses haven't decent insulation. I was looking at some small houses being built here for the elderly and was pleased to notice that they were double glazed and plenty of insulation was being put it.  They are right next to the ocean so it's needed.   OH fixed our house up so it's nice and cosy during the winter.  My cousin and his family live in Melbourne and their house is centrally heated but he was saying that gas has gone right up in price.  

Gas isn’t cheap that’s for sure. I’d have liked to have insulated the house but I lack the ability and getting tradies out here is nearon impossible. It also starts to look like a total renovation which starts to get pricey. To be honest I look at the house and don’t know where to start with it, it overwhelms me. You could sink $100,000 into it easily and still have more to do.

Luckily as of 2.30 on Monday it won’t be my problem! ?

Rules about insulation levels etc vary even by area within a state.  The Adelaide Hills for example have higher requirements than down on the plain/city.  We built our house ABOVE those requirements for both insulation in walls, ceiling and have double glazing.  Sitting snug this winter. 

Easier to do from scratch though amazing how few people bother to upgrade, they would rather have a fancier kitchen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Rules about insulation levels etc vary even by area within a state.  The Adelaide Hills for example have higher requirements than down on the plain/city.  We built our house ABOVE those requirements for both insulation in walls, ceiling and have double glazing.  Sitting snug this winter. 

Easier to do from scratch though amazing how few people bother to upgrade, they would rather have a fancier kitchen.

We have always been more fussed about insulation etc.  A fancy kitchen/bathroom come second.

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Or a ski boat or SUV or jet ski.  Far better choice 

9 hours ago, rammygirl said:

7 hours ago, Bulya said:

Or a ski boat or SUV or jet ski.  Far better choice 

Just for the record I don’t have insulation but I don’t have any of the above either. I just don’t earn enough money it seems.?

I was getting the windows replaced but the company went into liquidation with my deposit so that put paid to that.....

On 23 June 2018 at 14:01, Amber Snowball said:

Yep I'm outer East as well, and it's certainly been nippy the past week or so. It's my second Melbourne Winter and it feels colder this year than last, but perhaps as I was newly arrived last year, I hadn't acclimatised!!

Insulation may now be mandatory but certainly where I live in the Dandenong Ranges, a lot of the housing stock is much older and older building refs were not up to much, clearly!!

• Like 1

Just now, Beffers said:

Yep I'm outer East as well, and it's certainly been nippy the past week or so. It's my second Melbourne Winter and it feels colder this year than last, but perhaps as I was newly arrived last year, I hadn't acclimatised!!

Insulation may now be mandatory but certainly where I live in the Dandenong Ranges, a lot of the housing stock is much older and older building refs were not up to much, clearly!!

I hear you. In the ranges myself. Most of the houses would be knock down/rebuilds anywhere else. Look like I’ve built them! But out here they sell for proper money. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I hear you. In the ranges myself. Most of the houses would be knock down/rebuilds anywhere else. Look like I’ve built them! But out here they sell for proper money. 

They certainly demand top dollar for what are glorified shacks lol - think it's going to be interesting when I start looking to buy a house later this year!! ?

3 minutes ago, Beffers said:

They certainly demand top dollar for what are glorified shacks lol - think it's going to be interesting when I start looking to buy a house later this year!! ?

Well you have fun with that!!! Depending where you’ll be looking some areas have slowed a bit out here so you might get a bit of a better deal, maybe......

I have just sold, think I caught the end of the “boom”  where I am, but it varies suburb to suburb. Good luck. 

• Like 1