You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hi,

We are looking at moving over to Sydney for a job at Macquarie Uni. We would need to be able to commute by public transport from our new place hoping to be around 30mins each way.

We are ideally looking for somewhere with some nice green parks/areas to go walking in as we hope to get a dog and nearby shops or pubs would be a bonus (10/15 min walk). We have a budget of upto $650 a week for a 2 bed for a couple.

Any ideas of areas to look in would be appreciated.

There are express buses to Macquarie Uni from the city and there is also a train line, so 30 minutes commute gives you a reasonable area to choose from.  The railway is on the Chatswood to Epping line, so look at the stops along that line.   

$650 a week is not a big budget for a 2 bedroom unit in Sydney, but you should be OK.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I'm in Perth but we used to have an office in Pennant Hills and I quite often stayed near Macquarie Uni when visting. PH not bad, busy though.

Is it possible for us to secure rental with only my OH in Australia at the time? What sore of identification and details will we need for the rental application?

west pymble is perfect for you, loads of green space and a next suburb to macquarie park

We lived in North Ryde and my sons' friends who lived locally cycled to Macquarie Uni a distance of 2 km.

Hello. I use to live in Lane Cove and got the bus to the Macquarie Uni area daily. It took 30 minutes by bus and 12 minutes by car.  You can get a nice unit in Lane Cove for $650. Good shopping area. Nice little village feel. Good restaurants. Longueville Hotel (pub) close by. Plus direct bus to the city. Lane Cove National Park and river walks are nearby. Very pretty area.