On the edge of change

Dee in Oz

After 11 very long years living in Melbourne I have decided, for various reasons, that I am going to return to the UK. 

I realise that my son, born in Oz, is British by descent, but am wondering whether he needs to enter the UK on a British passport or if he can use his Australian one.  

Any advice gratefully received at this very stressful time.

Thanks 

• Haha 1

Wisest to get his U.K. pp otherwise his Aus passport will be stamped 6 months only and theoretically he could be required to leave at that point. There’s things like NHS and any benefits as well - if he has his passport, no one is going to be in any doubt of his citizenship. It’s an easy process to apply for his passport and it’s cheaper than the Aussie one. Personally I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of trying to economise.

31 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Wisest to get his U.K. pp otherwise his Aus passport will be stamped 6 months only and theoretically he could be required to leave at that point. There’s things like NHS and any benefits as well - if he has his passport, no one is going to be in any doubt of his citizenship. It’s an easy process to apply for his passport and it’s cheaper than the Aussie one. Personally I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of trying to economise.

Thank you very much, I was going round in circles trying to find out!

Agree with the others.

Its easy enough to apply online and the application should process pretty quickly. Its not expensive either. I'd get it sorted sooner rather than later so you know its all taken care of ahead of the planned move. 

Our 2 entered on their Australian passports, they were given a 6 month stamp because the nice lady at the airport said they have to have something in the passport. It was probably 3 years before we got their UK passports because they needed them for a school trip. It didn't cause any problems at all but if you prefer just get them before you leave. 

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

Our 2 entered on their Australian passports, they were given a 6 month stamp because the nice lady at the airport said they have to have something in the passport. It was probably 3 years before we got their UK passports because they needed them for a school trip. It didn't cause any problems at all but if you prefer just get them before you leave. 

Thanks for the advice. Since my (now) husband won’t be coming with us I think that it will be easier to go for the UK passport. 

We have just applied for a UK passport for our Oz born toddler. 

Depending whether you were born after 1983 or not you may well need to submit your parents birth certs, we had to supply my wife's mothers original birth certificate in the application, so just be aware of that. 

Also, they prefer a British passport holder as a counter signatory if you know one. If not they accept others, however the form says they have a preference. 

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. At least when you have it you can easily prove citizenship once back in the UK for registering for everything. 

Also, before you leave, do you have a certificate of citizenship for your child for Oz or passport? We have both, just in case we decide we ever want to come back. 

7 minutes ago, Tricky said:

We have just applied for a UK passport for our Oz born toddler. 

Depending whether you were born after 1983 or not you may well need to submit your parents birth certs, we had to supply my wife's mothers original birth certificate in the application, so just be aware of that. 

Also, they prefer a British passport holder as a counter signatory if you know one. If not they accept others, however the form says they have a preference. 

Other than that it's pretty straight forward. At least when you have it you can easily prove citizenship once back in the UK for registering for everything. 

Also, before you leave, do you have a certificate of citizenship for your child for Oz or passport? We have both, just in case we decide we ever want to come back. 

We’re okay for the British counter signatory, our parcel lady will do it! 

I am not an Australian citizen and will be renewing my British passport soon. I still have my old nhs card and remember my NI number, so hoping these help me. I’ve also kept my UK bank account open and have credit cards too.... I am thinking that I should get the returning resident visa, my older children are not coming home with us and I want to be able to visit them without the hassle of applying for a visitor’s visa.

My son has an Australian passport, although it will not be valid by the time we leave.

23 minutes ago, Dee in Oz said:

I am not an Australian citizen

Get your citizenship before you go.   The resident return visa is good only for a few years, and if you don't return to settle, you won't be able to renew it again.  What if you want to visit them in ten years' time? 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Get your citizenship before you go.   The resident return visa is good only for a few years, and if you don't return to settle, you won't be able to renew it again.  What if you want to visit them in ten years' time? 

Thanks it looks like this would be best all round, even though it goes against everything I believe in ?

Will we need to leave on Australian passports? 

Edited by Dee in Oz

4 hours ago, Dee in Oz said:

Thanks it looks like this would be best all round, even though it goes against everything I believe in ?

Will we need to leave on Australian passports? 

This is not the time to stand on principle!  If you're entitled to Australian citizenship, you're entitled to it, so get it.  

If you don't, the risk is that you'll get to a point where you've got a sick child, or a new grandchlid, in Australia and your help is needed - but if you're not a citizen, you'll be limited to short-term visitor visas. 

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

This is not the time to stand on principle!  If you're entitled to Australian citizenship, you're entitled to it, so get it.  

If you don't, the risk is that you'll get to a point where you've got a sick child, or a new grandchlid, in Australia and your help is needed - but if you're not a citizen, you'll be limited to short-term visitor visas. 

I’m happy to let my principles slide! I’m just looking into the process now. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dee in Oz said:

We’re okay for the British counter signatory, our parcel lady will do it

I am not an Australian citizen and will be renewing my British passport soon. I still have my old nhs card and remember my NI number, so hoping these help me. I’ve also kept my UK bank account open and have credit cards too.... I am thinking that I should get the returning resident visa, my older children are not coming home with us and I want to be able to visit them without the hassle of applying for a visitor’s visa.

My son has an Australian passport, although it will not be valid by the time we leave.

I don't know what a parcel lady is but it's not just anyone who can countersign, they have to hold a particular position or be member of certain professional bodies. 

12 hours ago, welljock said:

I don't know what a parcel lady is but it's not just anyone who can countersign, they have to hold a particular position or be member of certain professional bodies. 

7 hours ago, bristolman said:

I'm assuming the lady that delivers parcels ?

You assume correctly ? 

not sure I know anyone who will qualify ?

But I am going to stay positive - for the first time in what seems a very long time. 

Edited by Dee in Oz
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dee in Oz said:

You assume correctly ? 

not sure I know anyone who will qualify ?

But I am going to stay positive - for the first time in what seems a very long time. 

If you can't find anyone else many shopping centres have a JP 'in residence' and they can sign.

22 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

If you can't find anyone else many shopping centres have a JP 'in residence' and they can sign.

Be careful.  I'm not sure which form we're talking about, but some forms require the signatory to be someone who's known you for at least 2 years. Obviously a JP isn't that!

Your doctor or dentist are good options, both count as "professionals".

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Be careful.  I'm not sure which form we're talking about, but some forms require the signatory to be someone who's known you for at least 2 years. Obviously a JP isn't that!

However if there is asolutely no other option then a JP in oz can sign to say that they are verifying the person's identity based on all documents provided and apparently they have an exemption from the 2 year thing. Its a last resort, but a JP I worked with told me he had done it a couple of times for people who were newly in the country and had no-one that they had nown there for two years. 

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think, originally, it was for a British co-signer for my son’s British passport. We know plenty of professionals. Just not British... 

On 16/03/2018 at 14:52, Dee in Oz said:

I’m happy to let my principles slide! I’m just looking into the process now. 

Hope you aren't looking to leave in the next 1-1 1/2 years if you are only now looking into citizenship.....!

We applied last August and Ill be surprised if we are done by this xmas!