190 NSW Visa - Nursing

ilovefeffer

Hi All

Lots of good points on this thread.

My wife is just finishing her Occupational Therapy degree this year so started looking around for agents for a 489 regional, but I don't know whether to go for it or not, only because we can only get 60 points max, and that is if she gets top points on the Ielts test. Also she has no work experience. The only good thing is that the state we want to emigrate to NSW is not saying you must have 2, or 3, yrs experience. Any thoughts good or bad  ;) cheers.

13 minutes ago, y not said:

Hi All

Lots of good points on this thread.

My wife is just finishing her Occupational Therapy degree this year so started looking around for agents for a 489 regional, but I don't know whether to go for it or not, only because we can only get 60 points max, and that is if she gets top points on the Ielts test. Also she has no work experience. The only good thing is that the state we want to emigrate to NSW is not saying you must have 2, or 3, yrs experience. Any thoughts good or bad  ;) cheers.

Hi, I’m not an OT or in NSW so limited in my ability to help but OTs have to complete a period of supervised practice before they can register to work. This can be tricky from what I have seen/heard. I assume this will be required for your wife as well. Not sure about the 489 and how that supervision fits in but worth looking into before you jump in. 

On the 189 visa people get a positive skills assessment, get issued a visa and then find they can’t register to work! Silly and annoying.

Have you been to regional areas in Australia? They are very different and certainly not for me. Others do love them though. Again just more food for thought.

I’m sure others will have better information than me and be along soon. Good luck!

Hi Amber Snowball, Yes looked into the skills assessment it goes in two stages, stage one you can do here on line. more money to pay out, lol good point about the 189 visa. thanks for replying. Visa really are a mind field. two steps forward one step back

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 08:24, y not said:

Hi Amber Snowball, Yes looked into the skills assessment it goes in two stages, stage one you can do here on line. more money to pay out, lol good point about the 189 visa. thanks for replying. Visa really are a mind field. two steps forward one step back

Indeed! And all of those steps cost money! ?

On 3/9/2018 at 07:59, Amber Snowball said:

On the 189 visa people get a positive skills assessment, get issued a visa and then find they can’t register to work! Silly and annoying.

Have you been to regional areas in Australia? They are very different

It's a trap many fall into, not just in nursing.   Getting your skills approved for the visa is just the first step and in many professions and trades, you still have to do further training or registration to be allowed to work in Australia.

I agree about regional Australia.  It's not like the UK, where even if you're in a small village, you're only an hour or two from a major town or city.  It's difficult for a couple because some of the regional centres will have a hospital or a clinic, but there won't be any work for the other partner - and it's too far to commute anywhere else.   Also, in parts of inland NSW, there's high unemployment in many of the towns which leads to drugs and crime.  So you do need to research the areas carefully.

• Like 1

Hi all, just wanted to say hi on this thread as well!

im a midwife, have done EOI for 189 (65 points) and applied for nomination for NSW 190 (70 points including nomination). I’ve used an agent because I found the documents needed to be a bit of a minefield, I also timed this with my AHPRA application which is going to take another 5 months (I applied in December).

my biggest struggle has actually been using postal systems as my COGS have been lost 5 times, and my ANMAC application got lost then turned up and too damaged (although I think Is now done online!)

so fingers crossed things work out alright for everyone! I was provisionally offered a job pending my visa in Sydney but I think this is different in midwifery!

9 hours ago, yogi said:

im a midwife, have done EOI for 189 (65 points) and applied for nomination for NSW 190 (70 points including nomination). I’ve used an agent because I found the documents needed to be a bit of a minefield, I also timed this with my AHPRA application which is going to take another 5 months (I applied in December).

my biggest struggle has actually been using postal systems as my COGS have been lost 5 times, and my ANMAC application got lost then turned up and too damaged (although I think Is now done online!)

so fingers crossed things work out alright for everyone! I was provisionally offered a job pending my visa in Sydney but I think this is different in midwifery!

Hi Yogi, midwives are usually fine once you have your visa.Turn up and work! OTs have an issue and some trades. Nursing is usually ok but can have limitations of practice area placed on the registration, which can be hard. 

Both the NMC and AHPRA are slow and random in my recent experience. I am heading in the opposite direction and it has taken the best part of 6 weeks just to get all my paperwork to the NMC. I rang them this week and they assure me that I am now in the queue to be assessed for re registration. 

I think midwifery is very medic led here rather than the midwifery led model I remember from the UK. Be interesting to see how you find it. All the best and hopefully ANMAC/AHPRA get it together for you now. Exciting time for you. ?

12 hours ago, y not said:

OTs have an issue, any particular reason? or just finding jobs. cheers

OTs have to do supervised practice prior to full registration and finding places that will facilitate that can be difficult I think. Although on another thread someone is just finishing theirs and seems to be doing well. Has job offers etc. 

Check out some of the OT threads on here, you’ll get some support and information from those posters.

The NDIS,  National Disability Insurance Scheme, is creating work for OTs currently. It’s being rolled out in the usual chaotic, poorly thought through way but jobs are available. 

Depending on how the government proceed with the aged care reforms there may well be an increased need for OTs and physios with that as well. Not confirmed though.

Check out seek.com.au for an idea of jobs in your chosen area.

58 minutes ago, saffys said:

Hello Sophie 

How are you getting on?

Has anyone else heard from Nsw yet re 190 invitation with 65 points plus 5 for state sponsorship recently? I am a nurse x good luck all

I got an invitation today for the visa. I had 65+5 but I’m a midwife so I’m technically in a different skill group but fingers crossed they’re inviting more!

• Like 2

On 2/7/2018 at 17:57, Pauline Mohammed said:

Hi ceejaykav 

how long did it take for nsw to send you an invite. I am a nurse with 60+ 5 points 2.5 year experience I submitted the EOI just over 2 weeks ago 

thanks for any insight 

Hi Pauline, sorry for the late response. The first time i submitted my EOI i got selected after 3 days. Due to lack of information at that time i did not apply because i thought i would get an invite for 189. After advice on this site i submitted another EOI and this time was invited after about 3 week. They do a selection every two week but looks like they are inviting nurses. If you are not specific about where you want to live you can also submit an EOI in the Victoria website, it is free. Ive just been accepted to apply with them for visa 190 although im still also waiting for NSW to respond. Good luck 

On 3/10/2018 at 11:36, yogi said:

Hi Yogi

I always use DHL to post anything. Im a mental health nurse and have similar points to you. I also got nominated by NSW and VIctoria. 

Good luck with everything

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...