New on here looking for information;-)

Jodie&matt

Hi I’m just wondering if someone who as been through the process could give me a little information.. 

we’ve just been over to Perth to visit my family for a month and it’s totally sold it to us.. we have 4 children... we have been in touch with an agent.. do you guys recommend using an agent?? I know they have added fees on top I just don’t know if we could do it all ourselves as it’s very daunting... the agent advised applying for a 189 visa.. if anyone as done this could you give me some kind of time fame from start to finish, how long it took?? 

Well we was over in Perth my husband went and met a few employers to find out about wages etc and was offered a job soon as he as his visa so we know we will get work when finally there it’s just getting there lol... we also looked at rentals and also the dif schools in the area we are interested in living.. 

so now it’s just a case of getting things into action... 

i have managed to get a quote also for our family dog so I know what she will cost to take over..

it would just be nice to speak to someone who as actually been through it all 

thanks 

Jodie x

First of all, I would focus on the visa. What one are you looking at applying for and what does it entail. Have you done your sums re cost of visa, any other things that may need to be undertaken for it, medicals, police checks etc. 

As to if you opt to use an agent or not, entirely up to you. Mistakes if you do the application yourselves could be very costly. How confident are you of the process and outcome. Was the agent you contacted a reputable MARA registered agent? Have you had a second opinion? 

Factor in moving to Australia is not cheap and with 4 kids in tow (hopefully all of an age where going on the visa application isn’t an issue) you are looking at some big relocation and set up costs.

You seem convinced Perth is the place for you after a month’s holiday there. Don’t forget this was a holiday and day to day living is going to be very different. Work, school, bills and more. It won’t be holiday mode once you are living here, so make sure you take a good look at what you are truly getting in to. 

Do you have decent savings to help start you off? For a family of 6 you could well be needing a fair chunk of change. 

As to the work situation, what was said by someone may not mean a definite job 12 months plus down the line. Don’t rely on it as being something that is going to happen. 

The dog, there are vaccinations required and timings for those before you can ship your dog. Ensure you are fully up to speed on the process and how long it takes. You may also want to get other quotes in from reputable pet shippers. Factor in quarantine costs in Melbourne also and then to ship your dog to Perth from there also. You could be looking at a fair few thousand pounds for it all for the dog, if not more.

Shipping your belongings. You also need to research this. Cost of shipping everything isn’t cheap and replacing the other end isn’t going to be bargain basement either, especially with 4 kids. 

Thanks for your reply ,

yes we have looked into the cost of the visa and the agent we spoke to is registered..  they was very helpful and told us lots of information regarding the visa and costs... 

As I say holiday it wasn’t a holiday as such as if you went to a hotel in Spain, we was staying with my sister and her family for the duration.. and I’m dam sure Perth as more to offer than the place where we live now.. I’m thinking of my children’s future to be fair. 

money is no object either, and if we was granted the 189 Visa my husband will be going alone at first to get a job, secure a home for us all while staying with my sister then we all would follow once things are in place.. 

the quote I got was of pet air uk who I believe are one of the best and I was happy with the quote they provided us with.. 

i understand where your coming from it’s a lot of money and hard work.. I just wanted to hear from someone else about it all... 

we wouldn’t ship anything across, to be honest I would just sell all of our belongings excluding the children’s toys and start a fresh as my sister did.. it won’t be easy but what in life ever is .. 

Once you've decided - you need to check if either your or your husbands jobs are on the skills lists and then which assessing authority do the skills assessment.  This is probably one of the most time consuming bits - getting all the evidence together to submit for the skills assessment.  Once you/hubby has passed that - you can then look at applying for the visa.

Visas before anything else. 

What is your husbands occupation, how old is he? Do any of the family have any major health issues? 

I will also add be careful you aren't looking at it with rose tinted glasses. It won't suddenly give your children a better future. Just a different one. Otherwise we wouldn't have a large section of the forum for people returning to the UK. I lived in WA for eight years and don't think our life was any better. Just different. 

1 hour ago, Jodie&matt said:

Hi I’m just wondering if someone who as been through the process could give me a little information.. 

we’ve just been over to Perth to visit my family for a month and it’s totally sold it to us.. we have 4 children... we have been in touch with an agent.. do you guys recommend using an agent?? I know they have added fees on top I just don’t know if we could do it all ourselves as it’s very daunting... the agent advised applying for a 189 visa.. if anyone as done this could you give me some kind of time fame from start to finish, how long it took?? 

Well we was over in Perth my husband went and met a few employers to find out about wages etc and was offered a job soon as he as his visa so we know we will get work when finally there it’s just getting there lol... we also looked at rentals and also the dif schools in the area we are interested in living.. 

so now it’s just a case of getting things into action... 

i have managed to get a quote also for our family dog so I know what she will cost to take over..

it would just be nice to speak to someone who as actually been through it all 

thanks 

Jodie x

Hi Jodie,

I did the migration journey myself many years ago when I was in my 20's. Apart from my circumstances being much simpler than yours -young, single, nothing to lose (no parental worries which we all have now after children), migration policy was also not as tough as it is now. I also had budget issues so engaging a migration agent was far from my plan as they add up to the already expensive process. Initially, the whole migration mechanics seem to be simple until I realised eventually that it wasn't as straightforward as I thought. The more I knew about the process, the less confident I became. Luckily, a friend of mine recommended an agent in Sydney who was just charging A$1,000 which I could pay in two parts. My whole perception of agents being expensive changed. I've referred a lot of friends to my agent since then as I saw the value of having one. Fast forward, I'm now a registered migration agent myself because  of my personal experience. However, please don't misinterpret this as me being biased due to my profession. Only giving my honest opinion from experience, without the agent hat on. For sure, you can definitely do this yourself but like the other previous comment, it entails a lot of work. Also, feel free to shop around if you are to engage an agent. The website www.mara.gov.au is the best way to go as you will for sure be handled by a qualified agent. Best of luck!

We defo ain’t looking at it through tinted glasses , we’ve thought about this for over the past 3 years .. 

my husband is 37, he’s a welder fabricator but also holds iso 9001 , i Bosh, FLT licence, first aid and a degree in management,  no health issues with anyone in the family..

i understand where your coming from,  and it’s a huge thing to do... 

i just like to hear other people’s experiences ?

8 hours ago, Jodie&matt said:

Thanks for your reply ,

yes we have looked into the cost of the visa and the agent we spoke to is registered..  they was very helpful and told us lots of information regarding the visa and costs... 

As I say holiday it wasn’t a holiday as such as if you went to a hotel in Spain, we was staying with my sister and her family for the duration.. and I’m dam sure Perth as more to offer than the place where we live now.. I’m thinking of my children’s future to be fair. 

money is no object either, and if we was granted the 189 Visa my husband will be going alone at first to get a job, secure a home for us all while staying with my sister then we all would follow once things are in place.. 

the quote I got was of pet air uk who I believe are one of the best and I was happy with the quote they provided us with.. 

i understand where your coming from it’s a lot of money and hard work.. I just wanted to hear from someone else about it all... 

we wouldn’t ship anything across, to be honest I would just sell all of our belongings excluding the children’s toys and start a fresh as my sister did.. it won’t be easy but what in life ever is .. 

Curious to know where you live now if you're convinced Perth has far more to offer your children.  You say money is no object so I'd assume you live somewhere really nice. Have you done a list of what Perth has opposed to what your current place has. Nothing wrong with deciding to move to Perth,  I just believe as others have said, not better just different.  It may have been your sisters home and not a hotel but it was still a holiday.  What part of Perth are you considering?

I did say money is no object certainly not because of where I live though lol... 

i live in Oldham and trust me, without swearing Perth is a lot better for my children to be brought up... my 12 year old boy was jumped 6 months ago by a gang of romainans and was threatened to be stabbed because they wanted his mobile phone... 

my 7 year old can’t go to the local park because it’s full of idiots getting drunk and taking drugs and I do not live in the worse place in Oldham it’s just somewhere where I don’t want to bring my children up and we also want to be closer to my sister and her family... 

i would want to live close to my sister and she’s in Craigie... 

I wasn’t being funny I’m just putting my point across.. 

it wont be easy at all and I understand there will be obstacles along the way I just want to give my family a better way of life.. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jodie&matt said:

I did say money is no object certainly not because of where I live though lol... 

i live in Oldham and trust me, without swearing Perth is a lot better for my children to be brought up... my 12 year old boy was jumped 6 months ago by a gang of romainans and was threatened to be stabbed because they wanted his mobile phone... 

my 7 year old can’t go to the local park because it’s full of idiots getting drunk and taking drugs and I do not live in the worse place in Oldham it’s just somewhere where I don’t want to bring my children up and we also want to be closer to my sister and her family... 

it wont be easy at all and I understand there will be obstacles along the way I just want to give my family a better way of life.. 

I thought you were North London. You write the way my auntie speaks.

I grew up in Perth. It was ok, but no more idilic than my children's upbringing in the south of England.

Craigie is OK. Good schools but not cheap. Perth is not a cheap place to live.

But if you can make it work. Plus if you have family there.

Ask away if you have specific questions.

Hahaha no I’m up north ?

i love the south of England it’s definitely a beautiful place we always go to Torquay ,we did think about going down south but then I still wouldn’t be near my sister... and that’s what I really want.. as well as a nice upbringing for my children.. 

thanks for replying to me though if I think of any questions I’ll ask you for sure x

13 hours ago, Jodie&matt said:

Thanks Rhea 

could you please message me 

thanks 

Jodie 

You probably need to contact Rhea. Not the other way around. 

8 hours ago, Jodie&matt said:

Hi Jodie,  I was born in Oldham (moved to Preston in my 20's), my dad still lived there until he passed away in 2016 -  going back to arrange the funeral I would agree with you that Perth is a nicer place.  You don't have to justify why you want to move, if you've thought it through and feel it's right for you and your family - go for it - nothing has to be for ever.  Perth is like marmite, people love it or hate it and have an opinion on it (wether they've lived here or not), you've visited you have an idea of what it has to offer you as a family.  For what it's worth, we've never regretted our move to the West Coast.  Drop me a pm if you'd like to chat.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jodie&matt said:

Hi, I think it depends where you are living now and where you are moving to that shapes your thoughts about a “better” life for your children. I moved 12 years ago from a council estate on the outskirts of London to Geelong. At the time it was definitely better and still is I would say, even though much has changed in Australia in the time I have been here.

Yes children can have good lives in both countries, but it is heavily dependent on where in those countries you are. I didn’t own a property in the UK but have managed to get on the ladder here, my son couldn’t have walked to school alone where I was in London but could and did in Geelong, right from the get go. He made friends and played sports, that happened in both places, just the amount of mud that needed soaking off various kits differed.

Your drive seems to be near your sister, so only 2 options there, you move to Perth, or she moves to Oldham. Know which option I’d be choosing and I’ve never been to either place! 

Australia has been good to me and even though I am thinking of returning to the UK I will do so in a far better position than when I left and won’t be going anywhere near where I originally lived (or Oldham!!!!).

From all reports Perth is great for young families, try it. Go with your eyes open and a contingency plan if possible. I never thought I would want to return to the UK but things change and what has changed for me may never effect you, life / happiness is such a personal thing.

All the best with your move to Perth as I think you’ll be on your way given half a chance (and a visa!) ?

• Like 4