Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

cheese n pickle

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

24 Good

About cheese n pickle

  • Rank
    Junior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. cheese n pickle

    Retraining in Aus

    Hi, Not sure if the Access to higher ed diploma would be recognised here? In order to get what's called Credit Transfers, which means you've completed units as part of another course and want to claim a credit for them, the unit code has to be an exact match to the current unit. So I would say that might be difficult from overseas as the units of study won't match the Australian ones. Maybe send enquiries to a couple of SA unis and see what they say? The TAFE course is an option should she not be able to get into uni straight away. It will take her a bit longer than doing just the degree as the Diploma nursing courses as TAFE are usually 18 months, but it's a pathway. If she did a diploma first then went into the degree she would probably go into the second year of the degree and get credits for the first year, which is what usually happens for Bachelor of Nursing. Not sure if this is the same for Midwifery
  2. cheese n pickle

    Retraining in Aus

    Your wife would be classed as a mature student, so wouldn't necessarily need UK or equivalent quals to get uni, just depends on each uni's entry requirements. I'm doing a uni course and wasn't asked for any UK high school quals. I did a Diploma at TAFE (here in Australia) then went into the degree, and some of the degree units were recognised so I have exemptions for some of the units meaning my degree can be completed sooner. There are pathways through a lot of TAFEs. I work in a TAFE and a lot of our Diploma of Nursing students go onto different nursing uni courses, such as midwifery. To get into the Diploma if you are applying straight from school, then here in VIC a Year 12 certificate is required, but if you've been out of education for 12 months then you're classed as a mature student and you just have to meet the entry requirements for the course i.e. literacy and numeracy tests at the required level. As Marisa says, costs would depend on the visa you have. If permanent then you would qualify as a local student and some of the Diploma courses are free, but you wouldn't be able to access VET or HELP loans until you have citizenship. Hope that helps a little
  3. cheese n pickle


    Have you got visas?
  4. cheese n pickle

    Migration Agent?

    if you look on the TRA website it's under applicant guidelines. I've attached the PDF. Top of page 12 says experience after qual. don't know if this is the most up to date though. you could contact TRA and ask? untitled.pdf
  5. cheese n pickle

    Migration Agent?

    There are a few agents who post on here, who I believe would give an initial consultation. However, I think your experience has to be AFTER you're qualified to be able to claim it, and you would need this to pass the skills assessment. Have you checked with the relevant assessing authority? not sure if it's TRA or VETASSESS.
  6. cheese n pickle

    Using family car for UK visit

    I used my dad's car last year when I was over there and it cost me £50 to be added to the policy.
  7. cheese n pickle

    Childcare subsidy on a 489 visa?

    Have you checked here: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/child-care-subsidy/who-can-get-it/residence-rules I think you have to be PR, not sure though!
  8. cheese n pickle

    Going home too soon?

    This was me a few years ago. We came out to Australia in 2009, the kids were fine it was me that couldn't settle. So six months later we packed up and went back to the UK. It was strange because I was glad to go home, but didn't settle straight away. I didn't and still don't feel like I belong anywhere! We stayed in UK for about 3 and a half years, then with the visa travel date about to run out we decided to go back to Australia. We've been here 6 years now but I still feel the pull of 'home'. It's very difficult and the second time my youngest didn't want to come back to Oz, and we had many months of tears. I went back to UK last year for my brother's wedding and it felt right as soon as I landed, and I thought "yeah i could quite happily live here again". No easy answer hon. You just gotta do what feels right to you. All the best.
  9. cheese n pickle

    Anyone let their PR lapse?

    Some TAFE courses are free. Just depends on what course you are looking at. I believe if you are PR you may qualify, but you also need to meet the eligibility criteria. This link is for VIC, not sure about other states. https://w.www.vic.gov.au/freetafe/free-tafe.html BTW only the tuition part is free, students still have to pay material and student services fees upfront, so there is an out of pocket expense.
  10. cheese n pickle

    Pregnant on a temporary visa

    The baby won't be a citizen if neither parent holds PR or citizenship. Children born in Australia are automatically Australian citizens if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of the child’s birth. If neither parent is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia at the time of birth, the child is called a temporary resident. The child will hold the same visa subclass as the parent’s temporary resident visa. https://www.pregnancybirthbaby.org.au/pregnancy-care-on-a-visa-in-australia
  11. cheese n pickle

    Frankston School Zones

    if it is Frankston high school there is a zone map on their website under 'Enrolments'. I've attached it here :). If it's primary schools you may have to contact them directly. The High school does occasionally take out of zone applicants depending on year level and if they have available spaces.
  12. cheese n pickle

    Am i mad!?

    Hi Hanbo24, no you're not mad! I've just got back from a visit to the UK and I slotted back in straight away. I can understand how you feel. I felt totally at home and most importantly, probably the happiest I'd been for a long time. It was just brilliant seeing family and friends and catching up. I could quite easily have stayed. It was awful getting back on that plane again, and I did it with a heavy heart. I'm back now and just getting on with things. Here for another 2 and a half years at least as youngest is still in school and I've just started a degree, then I might reassess. Just wanted to wish you luck.
  13. cheese n pickle

    Is work experience required to apply for a 489 or 189 visa?

    What job code are you applying under? for the 189 and 489 the website states "have a relevant occupation" and "suitable skills assessment of a qualification" so going off that info I would say yes skilled employment is a must. I think there are a couple of occupations that don't require post qualification experience but not sure what they are. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon.
  14. cheese n pickle

    How to go about 189 visa as a tailor

    Have you checked if your occupation is on the list? https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/combined-stsol-mltssl
  15. cheese n pickle

    Looking for advice

    As Verystormy says Mechanic is on the list for 189 visa. You just need to meet all the requirements to get the visa. Re: cost of living, I personally think it's expensive and I've had to go full time whereas in the UK we could live quite comfortably with me working part time. My OH is a mechanic btw. You'd probably find a job easy enough but salary is quite low compared to the other trades. We're in Melbourne. Whereabouts in Australia are you thinking? House prices have gone silly in last few years and if we were buying now we would either have to increase our monthly payments (already more than double what we were paying in UK or extend our loan term which, in our forties we didn't want to do. Your MOT license wouldn't be valid here and you'd have to do the roadworthy training.