Advice for moving back to England

Ryan&Rosie

Good morning,

I'm sure there has been another post on this- maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I don't even know where to start with this.

I'm a British citizen and lived in England for most of my life and have now been in Australia for 8 years and I am now a citizen.

My partner and I both have grandparents/family in the UK that we're desperately missing. We've decided we want to live without regrets, doing what makes us happy, so even if to some it may seem a bad idea to go back to the UK, no amount of money can replace the precious people in your life that you just can't see often enough when living so far away. My partner is in a similar situation, although he left Wales when he was <10yo. It seems pointless to apply for citizenship on the basis of ancestry, especially for me, since I am definitely British.

I've been trying to find out what kind of Visa we need to get back home. I've been given many different websites to peruse, but none seem applicable to my situation. Who can I contact about this? I've paid money to place enquiries but have been told they can't advise. 

I'm really grateful for any advice anyone may have and apologise if this has been asked previously. 

Many thanks in advance,

Rosie 

From what I'm reading, providing you didn't rescind your British citizenship when you took out Australian, you are still a citizen with full right of abode in the UK and you don't need a visa of any sort, is that what you're asking?

If your partner was born in the UK with at least one UK citizen parent, in all likelihood he is a full citizen already as well.  UK immigration has an online checklist called "Am I a UK citizen?" (or something similar) if he's unsure.  Again, unless his citizenship was rescinded, or there are circumstances other than those I'm reading in your post then there's no barriers to you going back to the UK.

Yes. As Eera has stated, if you and your husband were both born in the UK - and neither of you have done anything to renounce your British citizenship - then you are both still British.

Just apply for British passports, if you don't have current ones. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports and you can book your flights and go. 

Visas are for holders of foreign passports. No visas are required to enter the UK if you hold British passports.

I agree, if you've both got British birth certificates, just apply for your British passports and off you go.   In theory, you could  enter the UK on your Australian passports and they couldn't refuse you, but having your British ones would simply ensure there were no hiccups.  

I feel like you're apologizing for wanting to go back to the UK. There's no need!   From my experience on these forums, THE most common reason for going home is missing family.  I see far too many people bad-mouthing Australia because they feel like they have to make up reasons why they're leaving, because somehow just missing their Mum (or grandparents or whoever) is not enough.  But like you say, it IS enough.  You could be living in paradise, but if you're missing someone you love, you can't be happy. Go for it!

2 hours ago, Eera said:

From what I'm reading, providing you didn't rescind your British citizenship when you took out Australian, you are still a citizen with full right of abode in the UK and you don't need a visa of any sort, is that what you're asking?

If your partner was born in the UK with at least one UK citizen parent, in all likelihood he is a full citizen already as well.  UK immigration has an online checklist called "Am I a UK citizen?" (or something similar) if he's unsure.  Again, unless his citizenship was rescinded, or there are circumstances other than those I'm reading in your post then there's no barriers to you going back to the UK.

Even if you have rescinded it for some reason, by right you can apply for it to be re-instated (one time only - after that it's by application to the Home Secretary).  Many people think that if they let their UK passport lapse, they are no longer citizens.  That is not the case - you just don't have a document which makes it easy for the UK immigration authorities to check your status.  As others have said, it sounds to me like your are both still British citizens.  

As we have seen in recent months in the Australian Parliament, you can be a UK citizen without even realising it.  The days when you had to register a birth with the UK High Commission or Embassy are long gone.

They don't even need to be up to date, providing you have another valid passport to travel on.  We used our Australian passports to travel on, but entered the UK on our expired British passports.  They didn't even want to look at our Aussie ones.  The man just looked at our British passports, made a joke about the kids not looking like their passport photos (youngest was six months old in her photo, and 9 years old when we returned!), and said 'welcome home'.  

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:30, Ryan&Rosie said:

Good morning,

I'm sure there has been another post on this- maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I don't even know where to start with this.

I'm a British citizen and lived in England for most of my life and have now been in Australia for 8 years and I am now a citizen.

My partner and I both have grandparents/family in the UK that we're desperately missing. We've decided we want to live without regrets, doing what makes us happy, so even if to some it may seem a bad idea to go back to the UK, no amount of money can replace the precious people in your life that you just can't see often enough when living so far away. My partner is in a similar situation, although he left Wales when he was <10yo. It seems pointless to apply for citizenship on the basis of ancestry, especially for me, since I am definitely British.

I've been trying to find out what kind of Visa we need to get back home. I've been given many different websites to peruse, but none seem applicable to my situation. Who can I contact about this? I've paid money to place enquiries but have been told they can't advise. 

I'm really grateful for any advice anyone may have and apologise if this has been asked previously. 

Many thanks in advance,

Rosie 

seriously Rosie ,go back on an extended holiday first .

going back permanently you will be taking on a huge responsibility .

I have done it ...scottiegirl and quoll are doing it .

in reality ,you put your life on hold

your ambitions go on hold

is it worth it ....someone ,in every family has to do it ....every family !

do you carry on with your life in oz ,and possibly face the consequences and guilt ,much later ?...your call

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

seriously Rosie ,go back on an extended holiday first .

going back permanently you will be taking on a huge responsibility .

The message I get from the OP is that they want to return because they are missing family - a very common theme on PIO - not because they feel some responsibility as  carers.

22 minutes ago, Skani said:

The message I get from the OP is that they want to return because they are missing family - a very common theme on PIO - not because they feel some responsibility as  carers.

says skani ....thats what I did ,and have been doing for 24 years .

The people you come back to see ,do get old you know ,and then what ?

if you came back to see your parents in their 70s and one dies ...then what ?

Do you say , " its been a nice visit , you are on your own , but see you later , iam off "

if you have a fall , or cant get out to do your shopping ,banking or your boiler breaks down you will just have to do your best ,even though you cant walk properly , you cant see or hear very well...thats just the way it goes

NOW ,getting back to my original post , you often come back because you have a family responsibility or you miss them , and you end up as their carers

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

NOW ,getting back to my original post , you often come back because you have a family responsibility or you miss them , and you end up as their carers

But that can happen to people who never move anywhere...that the caring role is not shared fairly amongst family members.    It just strikes me as being a bit twisted to think....I'm really homesick and I miss my family and want to go home....but I won't in case I have to be a carer somewhere down the track.

3 minutes ago, Skani said:

But that can happen to people who never move anywhere...that the caring role is not shared fairly amongst family members.    It just strikes me as being a bit twisted to think....I'm really homesick and I miss my family and want to go home....but I won't in case I have to be a carer somewhere down the track.

oh dear ....hear we go again

that's not what you think at the time , but this is often what transpires

you don't think ..oh ,I miss my family , but I wont go home ,because in 20 years time I will end up looking after them, it doesn't work like that ...in saying that , they way some people are, it wouldn't surprise me

Archived