Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane / Perth / Adelaide or Gold Coast ? A little summary.

Guest Scamp1976

Guest Scamp1976

I have ofcourse done some research, this is what I have found :

Sydney : 'capital' city, about 7 million people ( although someone mentioned 4 million officially ). Huge traffic problems due to bad public transport. Extremely warm in the summer, rainy and cold in the winter. Good job opportunities, loads of nice things to do, lots of tourists. Hugely expensive living, and even more expensive real estate prices. Unaffordable living for most people.

Melbourne : Second biggest city in Australia with about 4 million people. Temperate climate, almost european-like weather. Traffic is a lot better here mainly due to the better public transport. The most 'european' of all Australian cities. Nice skyline. Rainy and cold in the winter, very warm in the summer. Good job opportunities since most big companies have their headquarters here. Many things to do, this city has it all except the weather. Reasonably expensive but still cheaper than Sydney. Real estate is expensive.

Brisbane : Third biggest city in Australia with about 2 million people. Sub-Tropical climate : Warm all year round. Traffic is terrible with the most congested city in whole of Australia they have huge problems with their public transport and too many roads so pollution is an upcoming problem. Nice skyline, Tropical rains during the summer, dry and warm winters. Water shortages. Reasonable job offers, with many IT jobs available during good times. In recession, Brisbane is usually hardest hit. City is not located on the coast but a little land inwards on a big river with a big port which is in use. Reasonably many things to do, this city needs public transport to solve it's congestion issues though. Very expensive, almost to the level of Sydney. Unaffordable house prices. Real estate is unaffordable for most people.

Perth : Located on the other side of the 4 'big cities' , Perth is isolated from the rest of Australia. Perth is the fourth biggest city with about 1 million people, but growing fast due to climate and wonderful beaches. Sub-Tropical climate like in Brisbane, traffic is reasonable, public transport is reasonable.

No water problems, reasonable job offers, City is located on some wonderful beaches, in a beautiful location with beautiful weather. It's an isolated city though, but the area is certainly very nice. Many things to do, quite expensive. House prices have been dropping since April 2008, so they are becoming more affordable.

Adelaide : Perth is the fifth biggest city in Australia, with about 900.000 population. Adelaide has a temperate climate with rainy cold winters and dry warm summers. Public transport is bad, but congestion seems reasonable. Job offers are low, especially during recessions, this town will get hit hardest during bad economic times ( last recession there was 20% unemployment in Adelaide ). This city is all about being laid back. Nothing moves fast, there's not an abundance of things to do, but the costs of living are cheap compared to the other big cities. If you like laid back style living, this might be the city for you.

Gold Coast : I have no idea about the gold coast. It's supposed to be beautiful and the weather is supposed to be holiday like all year round. Maybe someone can post a Gold Coast review ?

My ideal city ?

Melbourne, located at Brisbane's position, with Perth's beaches, and Sydney's bays and Adelaide's laid back people :cute:

If something in here isn't right, please tell me so I can amend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Isnt it weird that Cabooltureshire has Level 6 water restrictions yet 30 mins up the road they have none! How annoying as we are looking at Morayfield, Burpengary areas. Might look a bit further north if jobs available. Can you tell me Chellem and Jo if theres much for Forklift workers, factory workers or any work for unskilled (i hate that term as it makes people sound worthless) man in the area? Is it feasable to drive to Eagle farm area for work? I probably know the answer to that one already!!!

Do you know if Morayfield has any bad vibes? You can pm me on that one if you dont want to offend:wubclub:.

Anyone else from Morayfield area?

Cheers

Georgie

Georgie dont let the water restrictions put you off ,we havnt really changed our way of living over here because of this ,being sensible is all you need to do,water tanks are the way to go and catch the rain ,we have only used town water for approx 4 weeks in the last year. we have baths, showers and have a pool to maintain ,its simple things like turning off the tap whilst you brush your teeth that make the difference.

Cal x

Hi

Isnt it weird that Cabooltureshire has Level 6 water restrictions yet 30 mins up the road they have none! How annoying as we are looking at Morayfield, Burpengary areas. Might look a bit further north if jobs available. Can you tell me Chellem and Jo if theres much for Forklift workers, factory workers or any work for unskilled (i hate that term as it makes people sound worthless) man in the area? Is it feasable to drive to Eagle farm area for work? I probably know the answer to that one already!!!

Do you know if Morayfield has any bad vibes? You can pm me on that one if you dont want to offend:wubclub:.

Anyone else from Morayfield area?

Cheers

Georgie

Caboolture is know under pine rivers council since the reorganisation of the councils up here making it one of the largest councils in the country only know this useless fact due to inlaws work on the council

To Scamp1976

I like your thread! - for those of us undecided it always helps to get an 'insiders' point of view!

As I've said before - there's only so much info you can gain from websites - average temperatures don't really tell you anything for example. As our VISA is 'hopefully' imminent, we now need to make pland for our rekkying trip - not easy with so much to choose from!

KathK

Guest Pinhead

'Melbourne, located at Brisbane's position, with Perth's beaches, and Sydney's bays and Adelaide's laid back people '

Scamp I think you've just come up with that dream place in Oz that people talk about.

Guest earlswood
'Melbourne, located at Brisbane's position, with Perth's beaches, and Sydney's bays and Adelaide's laid back people '

about.

Anyone for Dartmouth.

darte.jpg

Guest earlswood
has there been an oil slick pass by???? the water looks very dark and COLD!!! WHERE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE???? Looks like its been air brushed to me.... Good try

Back of the net,,,,ge in....one nil to the Earl:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood
your dreaming mate lol

ohhhh yes,,,the keeper is really rattled......2 nil to the Earl...back post....get in:biglaugh::biglaugh:

To be honest Cal I turm off the tap down here in Melbourne when brushing my teeth. I ts just i would dearly love to be able to wash my car and house windows one day!!!!

I wont really let it put me off as i will get a rainwater tank and really i have looked at the map and living in the sunshine coast itself isnt really plausable anyway as its probably too far to travel to work anyway.

Thanks for your info Onecrankypom!!!

Guest Coffee
Your research is WRONG!!!!!!!!

Sydney is the capital of NOTHING!!!!!![/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sydney the capital of New South Wales? :biglaugh:

And Scamp1976 wrote 'capital' city not 'capital of Australia'...

P.S. Sorry, I am just reviewing a proposal which puts me in a slightly pedantic and p****y mood... :cool:

Only one season I do not like in Melbourne its summer those hot days are awful and the wind the north wind.

QLD way too humid all summer need to take a shower every five mins.

Adelaide lovely place

Perth real estate is very expensive now compared to what it used to be. Too far away from the east coast

Sydney hot one minute cold the next humid and too clubby for me.

Cairns way too hot and very very humid in summer too many crocs, stingers and snakes.

Hobart lovely place you did not mention Tassie its a wonderful place to live I believe and if we could have we would have. Every house in Hobart has a view.

Talking States now

Victoria love it because its small on Australian standards and has lovely places to visit and unlike QLD SA WA it does not have an outback.

Do not forget the regional towns there are a lot of largish ones and they also are very nice places to live, Townsville, Newcastle, Wollongong, Bendigo, Ballarat. Wodonga Albury, Mildura

The York Peninsula in SA

Your research is WRONG!!!!!!!!

Sydney is the capital of NOTHING!!!!!![/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sydney the capital of New South Wales? :biglaugh:

And Scamp1976 wrote 'capital' city not 'capital of Australia'...

P.S. Sorry, I am just reviewing a proposal which puts me in a slightly pedantic and p****y mood... :cool:

Ok I hold up my hand if it was ment that way SORRY!!!! BUT why not put Capital in front of the rest????? You would be suprised how many people think it is the capital of Australia

Archived