Cats in Australia (wildlife)

Alligator-eyes

Hi

We just got our permanent visas approved so now it’s very real! 

I’m really upset at the thought of leaving my cat behind when we go, I’ve looked into various companies to help with the move and waiting for a few quotes.  But I’m concerned about the wildlife-cane toads, snakes, poisonous spiders etc. He is currently my spider catcher and does like to bring in a mouse or two, I’m concerned he might try to catch something that will end up killing him as he’s grown up being able to catch anything.

Does anyone have experience of moving with a cat (particularly one which likes to have freedom outdoors) and if there has been any issues with wildlife?

We have four cats, which we kept as indoor cats in Australia, so I can't comment on giving cats freedom to roam and issues with wildlife specifically as ours didn't go out.  However, you may well find that people are generally less tolerant of cats in Australia, particularly ones who hunt/kill wildlife.  Many people view cats as an invasive species, and treat them accordingly.  There were far fewer cats around in our area than we were used to in the UK, but I'm not sure whether there were fewer cats in general, or whether they were being kept indoors.  Many of the council areas have restrictions on cats, for example you may find you can't let him roam, or you may need to ensure he is in at night.  At one point we did look at getting a cat enclosure built so that they could access the outside safely, but as it happened we decided to move back to the UK before we did anything about it.  That might be an option for you, in order to keep him (and the wildlife) safe.

How come no one cares about the UK wildlife ?

Don't people worry about cats eating native birds in the UK ?

There are loads of cats in Melbourne. Mine go out all the time and never have a problem.

Cats are intelligent. I don't think they will kill anything like a cane toad or anything that will hurt them.

What LKC said. 

I find Australians generally far less tolerant of cats that roam than in the UK (although I was not tolerant of them at all in my back garden in the UK and was very fed up with neighbours cats using my garden as a litter tray and harming wildlife but thankfully we moved to Aus and that isn't an issue here :P). I see far fewer of cats roaming here. Most people I know who keep them have them as indoor pets or a cat run outside. Not only for the cat's safety but for the local wildlife. I only have to look at my local wildlife rescues FB page to see the amount of possums and other small native creatures brought in after a cat has been playing with them. People think possums being a bit bigger can take care of themselves, but if a cat catches one, it isn't usually a happy ending for the possum. Much of the local wildlife is nocturnal here, plus snakes do come out at night to hunt also, so keeping a cat in overnight is a very good thing IMHO. 

Keep in mind also that if you do let a cat roam, many Aussies keep their dogs outside 24/7 and cats may come to harm in a backyard with dogs kept out in it. I have heard of this happening before but its not a common thing that I am aware of. 

People here often keep their cats confined inside or have a special cat run built outdoors from a window into the garden somewhere. Some have cat proof fencing (yes, its a thing here thanks to metal fencing cats can't easily climb) and it means cats can roam in their own backyard and not invade other peoples or come to harm elsewhere. 

As for your cat coming to harm because it runs into Aussie wildlife, much will depend on where you live. Cane toads are not across the entire country, only part of it. So if you are living in say Victoria, they shouldn't be an issue. Snakes, spiders, not all are going to have a venom to kill but some will. Again though, the odds of that happening may well vary depending on where you are.

To give you an example of a more cat friendly council in my city, well, not cat friendly but one that doesn't have any by laws as yet (ie chipping, de sexing or curfews). Keep in mind it says about 'rehoming' of cats but the rescues are overflowing and sadly not all cats are rehomed. Some are PTS. Also if your cat is caught by a trap and not chipped or with a collar, it will cost you time and money to get it out of the pound, should you be able to find it. If not claimed within a certain time, I expect anyone can adopt them. If your cat annoys neighbours, they may well trap it to see if its feral or chipped. 

Legal responsibilities

Unlike dogs, there is currently no legislation for the registration and control of cats.

However, residents can access our cat cage hire program in order to trap nuisance cats on their property. Cages may be hired from our Noarlunga office.

Any identified cats (ie those wearing a collar), must be returned to its owner or released immediately at the location it was trapped.

Any unidentified cats (ie those with no collar or visible identification) that are trapped using a cat cage must be taken to an authorised organisation, such as the RSPCA at Lonsdale or the Animal Welfare League, within 12 hours.

For further information refer to the brochure below or visit the Homeless Cats SA website.

Humane cage trapping of cats

For mediation in relation to cat nuisance matters contact the Noarlunga Mediation Service on (08) 8384 5222.

Homeless cats v feral cats

A homeless cat is a pet cat that is lost or abandoned. Feral cats are the offspring of lost or abandoned pet cats or other feral cats who are not spayed or neutered. Homeless cats are accustomed to contact with people whereas feral cats are fearful and therefore can act aggressively when approached.

Homeless cats can generally be adopted into new homes, feral cats do not easily adapt or may never adapt to living as pets in close contact with people.

If you’re currently feeding a cat other than your own, you can take advantage of our cat cage hire program to trap the cat and deliver it to the RSPCA or Animal Welfare League. Staff at these shelters can check for a microchip to determine an owner and ensure the cat is returned.

If you would like to hire a cat cage from council, you can do so for one week at a time. Please refer to page 20 of the Schedule of Fees & Charges (347K) for detailed information.

Those cats that cannot be returned can be adopted into a new home, by entering the cat into a rehoming program which involves desexing, microchipping, vaccinating and a veterinary health assessment. Once the cat is ready to be rehomed you may then be able to adopt it yourself.

10 minutes ago, Parley said:

Cats are intelligent. I don't think they will kill anything like a cane toad or anything that will hurt them.

Cats do get killed by snakes, attacked by dogs and run over by cars.  A free roaming domestic cat has an average life  of 5 years in Australia...about a third of an average natural lifespan.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

There are loads of cats in Melbourne. Mine go out all the time and never have a problem.

Wild birds are much more tame here in Australia than in the UK.  They walk right up to you and will perch on your arm to eat seeds.  They are just not used to predators like cats as there was no equivalent here I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Wild birds are much more tame here in Australia than in the UK.  They walk right up to you and will perch on your arm to eat seeds.  They are just not used to predators like cats as there was no equivalent here I guess.

In the UK I would think that cats would catch the weaker old or unwell birds, since birds here do tend to fly away if they sense danger.  As Gbye grey sky says, the birds in Australia are much less used to predators like cats.  Also, Australia has been far more isolated from the rest of the world over time, meaning that the wildlife is much more unique and less numerous, whereas something like a Eurasian shrew is both widespread and populous, so predation has less of an impact.  Interestingly, since we arrived in the UK with our cats and have started to let them out in the garden, they have shown very little interest in hunting.  They sit and watch the birds, but don't seem to want to stalk or hunt them at all, although they do have bells on their collars.  One of the cats did bring back a shrew, but only one and nothing recently, and one of the other cats spent ages chasing a leaf to bring inside when it was windy one day!  They didn't think much of the recent snow!

Now I've heard everything. That is BS.

Maybe at Corrumbin Bird Sanctuary Gbey Grey Sky but that is not typical.

The only birds generally that will become tame down here and come close to you are Magpies and cats won't go after a magpie anyway.

Pigeons are very lazy and may be in the firing line but not because they are tame but because they are slow.

I hate pigeons anyway, they are the rats of the sky.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Parley said:

Now I've heard everything. That is BS.

Maybe at Corrumbin Bird Sanctuary Gbey Grey Sky but that is not typical.

The only birds generally that will become tame down here and come close to you are Magpies and cats won't go after a magpie anyway.

Pigeons are very lazy and may be in the firing line but not because they are tame but because they are slow.

I hate pigeons anyway, they are the rats of the sky.

Rainbow lorikeets eat seed by hand in our garden.  King parrots, cockatoos, kookaburras, and many others I cannot name off the top of my head will be around our feet or try to join us at the table.  That is perfectly normal here.  Thought it was anazing at first but now just take it for granted.  Perhaps it is different down in Victoria.

Our dog who we got in March at first barked at the cockatoos but now just ignores them as they ignore him.

It is not a good idea to feed wild birds in my opinion. 

Most of those species have no interest for a cat, a baby lorikeet maybe but a long shot anyway.

My cat has only caught things like sparrow size or a bit bigger. The lorikeets love eating the apples off my apple tree but don't think I ever see them on the ground and they are lighning fast.

I think its more the mammals that cats prey on is the issue. Also young birds not fully fledged are easy pickings. 

There are so many creatures here, skinks, geckos, possums, all those and likely more get picked off by cats. I think we have a responsibility as pet owners, wherever we are, to take proper steps to ensure our animals and the wildlife are as safe as can be. 

Since moving here I've been really happy at how few cats we see around outside. I'm happy to know people take more responsibility for them and tend to keep them indoors or confined to their own garden. I much prefer seeing the native wildlife in our garden than someones cat. I have no tolerance for cats in our garden.

FWIW, we don't feed the wild birds here. I do have plenty of water drinkers out for them but no food. I was told by wildlife rescue they have plenty from the native habitat and feeding them isn't advised as they become too reliant on it and also for some birds they get fed the wrong things and its not healthy for them. Also they then teach their young to become reliant on it instead of foraging properly and thats not good either. Also if you get the wrong type of bird, ie the sulphur crested, they can demolish a garden in a very short space of time if they arrive in a large group. 

Most councils only request that cats are kept in at night anyway.

It is cruel to keep a cat locked in all the time.

And it seems hypocritical to me to think it is only Australia where cats need to be kept inside.

My cat has only ever caught rats and mice and a few birds.

Feeding birds is probably a lot more irresponsible thing to do if you ask the experts.

15 hours ago, Alligator-eyes said:

But I’m concerned about the wildlife-cane toads, snakes, poisonous spiders etc. He is currently my spider catcher and does like to bring in a mouse or two, I’m concerned he might try to catch something that will end up killing him as he’s grown up being able to catch anything.

Well it depends on where you plan to live. I live in Sydney and my cat goes outside. Never had an issue. But of course, living somewhere like Far North Queensland would be an issue, as they have scrub pythons up there who could eat a baby or a cat. And so, I would never move there with her.

9 hours ago, Skani said:

A free roaming domestic cat has an average life  of 5 years in Australia...about a third of an average natural lifespan.

Really! I didn't know that. I must have been lucky with all three of my cats over the years. They were all free roaming and all lived to 20. Then again, I have never lived near a main road with them.

19 minutes ago, FeralBeryl said:

Really! I didn't know that. I must have been lucky with all three of my cats over the years. They were all free roaming and all lived to 20. Then again, I have never lived near a main road with them.

Yes, my cat lived to 20 also before finally succumbing.

Luckily I am at the end of a court so no passing cars.

Most cats easil live to at least 14 years and many a lot longer.

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

Yes, my cat lived to 20 also before finally succumbing.

Luckily I am at the end of a court so no passing cars.

Most cats easil live to at least 14 years and many a lot longer.

Our old cat was into her 20s when she died.  She always came in at night and spent the days in the back yard or in the reserve which backed onto our house.  There was a creek running through the reserve and fairly often she would proudly bring home a dead water rat.  Ugh!

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Parley said:

What on earth do you mean 'How come no one cares about the UK wildlife' ? Yes lots of people worry about cats eating native birds in the UK, why do you say that and then go on to say you let yours out all the time. Cats will and do try to kill things that will hurt them, its shy so many die from snake bite. 

Cats should always be kept indoors or in secure outdoor runs, to do otherwise is incredibly irresponsible and shows a massive lack of respect for the native wildlife. Australia has a huge feral cat problem and cats kill enormous numbers of native animals every year. This is why we are seeing more and more councils introducing laws restricting cats to the owners property. This is a good step but not enough. Do the right thing for the wildlife and indeed for the safety of the cats and keep them confined. 

11 hours ago, Alligator-eyes said:

Thanks everyone, we are looking at moving to Victoria- the Melbourne suburbs or Geelong area. 

He is microchipped and neutered but doesn't wear a collar. 

I'll look into the councils rules on cats once we've decided for sure where to live and look into cat runs and fences. 

Venomous snakes kill a lot of cats in Victoria. I grew up in Geelong and snakes are common. 

20 hours ago, snifter said:

I think its more the mammals that cats prey on is the issue. Also young birds not fully fledged are easy pickings. 

There are so many creatures here, skinks, geckos, possums, all those and likely more get picked off by cats. I think we have a responsibility as pet owners, wherever we are, to take proper steps to ensure our animals and the wildlife are as safe as can be. 

Since moving here I've been really happy at how few cats we see around outside. I'm happy to know people take more responsibility for them and tend to keep them indoors or confined to their own garden. I much prefer seeing the native wildlife in our garden than someones cat. I have no tolerance for cats in our garden.

FWIW, we don't feed the wild birds here. I do have plenty of water drinkers out for them but no food. I was told by wildlife rescue they have plenty from the native habitat and feeding them isn't advised as they become too reliant on it and also for some birds they get fed the wrong things and its not healthy for them. Also they then teach their young to become reliant on it instead of foraging properly and thats not good either. Also if you get the wrong type of bird, ie the sulphur crested, they can demolish a garden in a very short space of time if they arrive in a large group. 

Unfortunately it seems not everyone thinks this way and just let's their cats free roam to kill precious native wildlife. 

22 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Yes you are absolutely spot on, Australian birds don't have the inbuilt fear of predators, we used to see it all the time. We also used to see the evidence of the neighbours cats killing sprees in our garden too.