Income Tax Query

Biker Dave

I am currently waiting for a decision on my 801 Partner Visa which has an estimated processing time of 16 - 22 months.

I have been living here since July 2015 with my Australian wife on a temporary partner visa. I applied for my partner visa in September this year.

Because I am not a permanent resident here I have kept an address in the UK (My sons) and this is the address HMRC has for me.

Can I apply to be taxed in Australia even though I am not officially a resident yet? I am retired on a UK pension.

This has raised it's head because Lloyds Bank in the UK have sent a form for me to fill in asking for my country of residence for tax purposes due to a change in international tax legislation.

Because when I do a transaction with my UK bank account they have to ring my mobile which is Australian they think I am resident for tax purposes in Australia.

Can anyone advise me what to do before this gets messy?

TIA

You should have changed your address with your UK bank. Your residential address is in Australia and has been for over 2 years.  You could ask the bank to use your sons address as a correspondence address but you don't live there so they need your home address on file and country of residence. 

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You should have changed your address with your UK bank. Your residential address is in Australia and has been for over 2 years.  You could ask the bank to use your sons address as a correspondence address but you don't live there so they need your home address on file and country of residence. 

As Tulip says, our UK bank accounts have our Australian address, never posed a problem. 

We have had the same letter from our UK banks, will confirm later how we answered, it's quite normal to receive them if you have a UK bank account.My husband is a bit more clued up than I am so will find out exactly what we do, but tax wise as far as I know, it depends on where your income comes from when you are on  a temporary visa here. If you earn money here that changes the situation.

Again my advice is to contact Allan Collett about tax queries rather than giving incorrect advice.

Thanks all. Some conflicting advice. I have applied to the Australian Tax office for a TFN number in case I get a part time job here. I will write to HMRC and ask them what I should do as my income is from the UK. I have received my tax calculation for 2016/2017 from HMRC BTW.

22 hours ago, Biker Dave said:

I am currently waiting for a decision on my 801 Partner Visa which has an estimated processing time of 16 - 22 months.

I have been living here since July 2015 with my Australian wife on a temporary partner visa. I applied for my partner visa in September this year.

Because I am not a permanent resident here I have kept an address in the UK (My sons) and this is the address HMRC has for me.

Can I apply to be taxed in Australia even though I am not officially a resident yet? I am retired on a UK pension.

This has raised it's head because Lloyds Bank in the UK have sent a form for me to fill in asking for my country of residence for tax purposes due to a change in international tax legislation.

Because when I do a transaction with my UK bank account they have to ring my mobile which is Australian they think I am resident for tax purposes in Australia.

Can anyone advise me what to do before this gets messy?

TIA

We put Australia as our country of resistance.

On 06/12/2017 at 14:08, Biker Dave said:

Thanks all. Some conflicting advice. I have applied to the Australian Tax office for a TFN number in case I get a part time job here. I will write to HMRC and ask them what I should do as my income is from the UK. I have received my tax calculation for 2016/2017 from HMRC BTW.

I'm not seeing a lot of conflicting advice here.

If you have been living in Australia since 2015 you have almost certainly been a tax resident of Aus since that time, with your worldwide income subject to tax in Australia.

Although you have had a temporary partner visa the fact that you have an Australian wife/partner means you cannot access the tax exemption that is available in Australia to temporary visa holders whereby overseas source interest/investment income is not taxed in Australia.

A TFN should have been obtained from the ATO when you arrived.

With an Australian address the UK bank should have been withholding tax at 10% from interest credited to your accounts under the provisions of the Tax Treaty between the UK and Australia.

It may well be that professional support is now required to regularise your tax position in each country.

Best regards.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2017 at 14:08, Biker Dave said:

Writing to HMRC in an effort to clarify the tax position in Australia is unlikely to elicit meaningful advice on which you can rely - in my experience.

Best regards.

47 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

Writing to HMRC in an effort to clarify the tax position in Australia is unlikely to elicit meaningful advice on which you can rely - in my experience.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan. Ramot posted that they were temporary residents and because like me their income comes from the UK they pay tax there. This is what I was told by some "expert" so I delayed telling HMRC that I was here until I get hopefully my Permanant Partner Visa. When I found out that can be another 22 months I decided to act. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!! I only have a State Pension and a small private pension from the UK no other worldwide income.

Edited by Biker Dave

16 hours ago, Biker Dave said:

Ramot posted that they were temporary residents and because like me their income comes from the UK they pay tax there.   This is what I was told by some "expert" so I delayed telling HMRC that I was here until I get hopefully my Permanant Partner Visa.

No disrespect is intended towards Ramot (I'm not picking on you, just using this as a convenient example), but you should always be cautious about information received from people on forums because a) their situation may be different than yours - even small situation differences can lead to very different outcomes, b) things may have changed between then and now (their situation and yours), and c) because they may be wrong.

I'm not sure whether you needed to tell HMRC about your move to Australia, but certainly you should have told ATO through applying for a TFN and filing tax returns.

I realise Ramot isn't giving you advice and she simply said what applies to her and her husband, but often I see people acting on what they read and it can be very dangerous.  Always best to consult a registered migration agent, a tax agent, etc.

4 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

No disrespect is intended towards Ramot (I'm not picking on you, just using this as a convenient example), but you should always be cautious about information received from people on forums because a) their situation may be different than yours - even small situation differences can lead to very different outcomes, b) things may have changed between then and now (their situation and yours), and c) because they may be wrong.

I'm not sure whether you needed to tell HMRC about your move to Australia, but certainly you should have told ATO through applying for a TFN and filing tax returns.

I realise Ramot isn't giving you advice and she simply said what applies to her and her husband, but often I see people acting on what they read and it can be very dangerous.  Always best to consult a registered migration agent, a tax agent, etc.

The advice I actually gave in both posts was to consult Allan Collett 

Edited by ramot